What's the word? Linked frame trucks are dead?

WormSquirts

Hello everybody. I'm a new member here, though I do spend a lot of time cruising the forums. I should preface this by saying that I have grown up racing things, but never desert racing. I live in BC Canada, so there's not much like the desert up here, however it's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I drove down to Baja and back last year, and it convinced me that I need to build a race truck.

I've been searching like crazy to try and figure out what class I should aim for. The hard part is that a lot of the information is super old. I really wanted to run a Toyota Tacoma in a 7F/7200 type class. Basically really want to build a linked truck on frame rails that I would be able to possibly drive on the street up here in BC if I had to.

However, the more I research, the more I read that class 7 is dead, and everybody has moved on to full tube chassis trucks. I would love to build one, but it would be quite challenging up here in BC, and I wouldn't be able to use it as much if it wasn't Street legal.

So that's where I'm at. I've been looking for Tacomas to buy as a foundation, but now I'm wondering if I should be investing that money into tube and just going all in for a 7/7200/class 6 truck.

I am serious about this, and I've been reading a lot of rules, but it's hard to know if it's worth building a truck over the next two years only to find that nobody races the class anymore.

Really appreciate the input!

Dave Cole 4454

I raced and won 7F last year.

4 or 5 trucks every race. Good guys and good competition. I will be back next year in a Stock Full.

Other class to look at is pro stock utv.

Anger Issues

See Anger Issues Racing on facebook. Linked with frame, class 3 legal and playing with the class 8 trucks in local races near Idaho and utah. An absolute blast to drive. Just took third at a BOR race in Nevada.

J Prich

Hello everybody. I'm a new member here, though I do spend a lot of time cruising the forums. I should preface this by saying that I have grown up racing things, but never desert racing. I live in BC Canada, so there's not much like the desert up here, however it's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I drove down to Baja and back last year, and it convinced me that I need to build a race truck.

I've been searching like crazy to try and figure out what class I should aim for. The hard part is that a lot of the information is super old. I really wanted to run a Toyota Tacoma in a 7F/7200 type class. Basically really want to build a linked truck on frame rails that I would be able to possibly drive on the street up here in BC if I had to.

However, the more I research, the more I read that class 7 is dead, and everybody has moved on to full tube chassis trucks. I would love to build one, but it would be quite challenging up here in BC, and I wouldn't be able to use it as much if it wasn't Street legal.

So that's where I'm at. I've been looking for Tacomas to buy as a foundation, but now I'm wondering if I should be investing that money into tube and just going all in for a 7/7200/class 6 truck.

I am serious about this, and I've been reading a lot of rules, but it's hard to know if it's worth building a truck over the next two years only to find that nobody races the class anymore.

Really appreciate the input!
Given the relatively significant differences in class between orgs, I would say you might want to figure out where you'd be most inclined to race, then decide if that build is for you. As Dave noted, you could swing a truck like you've described in 7F if you're going to race SCORE. Given the relatively low turn out in 7200 in SCORE, I suppose really you could even run there although the kind of truck you're talking about would likely not be competitive against the top trucks, if you care.

7200 is generally equally low turn out in BITD and SNORE. 1450 could work but if you plan on keeping the V6 you're probably at a significant power disadvantage from the big dogs. Also kind of depends on your goal I guess. If you're trying to win races, a 4.0l Toyota in 1450 is probably going to have a hard time. If you're just trying to get in the game and have a blast and see what happens, then who cares, build it and have fun fulfilling the dream!

jon coleman

Given the relatively significant differences in class between orgs, I would say you might want to figure out where you'd be most inclined to race, then decide if that build is for you. As Dave noted, you could swing a truck like you've described in 7F if you're going to race SCORE. Given the relatively low turn out in 7200 in SCORE, I suppose really you could even run there although the kind of truck you're talking about would likely not be competitive against the top trucks, if you care.

7200 is generally equally low turn out in BITD and SNORE. 1450 could work but if you plan on keeping the V6 you're probably at a significant power disadvantage from the big dogs. Also kind of depends on your goal I guess. If you're trying to win races, a 4.0l Toyota in 1450 is probably going to have a hard time. If you're just trying to get in the game and have a blast and see what happens, then who cares, build it and have fun fulfilling the dream!
yup, dont be locked into Any one race class mind set!!!!, in 01?, 02', i wanted to race off road, tired of pavement, Ricky Ramirez told me about his buddy Cristoff racing this new ' jeep class', ' jeepspeed', hmmm sounds interesting Rick, tell me more.....well, you gotta race the biggest , cheapest class, Thats the one thats Most fun in the desert race scene, IF, I ever race again its an 8.5 to one v8 short wheel base truck, leaf springs and Good shocks, i beam?, A arm?, what ever i run across ....Cheap, dont get into a hi strung prep eng& trans every race class ( unless you won the lotto),prep is where you can $pend too much

WormSquirts

Thank you so much for all of the advice. It's awesome. It's actually pretty tough to figure out all of the small differences between organizations, which is a big reason I came here. My end goal would be to race baja, so SCORE. But I've been reading a bunch about BITD, MORE, and SNORE. Obviously, being in Canada, Baja is quite a trek, so I would love to get a bunch of races in closer to home. Utah isn't too bad of a drive, and I know there's a bunch of awesome races in that area, so I would want to build the truck to be race able in SCORE plus at least one fun org that is closer to home.

As for being competitive, the main goal is to fulfill a dream, have fun building a truck and racing it. I don't expect to roll up and win against a bunch of experienced drivers, but I'm also a pretty competitive guy who likes to push himself and go fast. So with that said, I don't want to show up to a race knowing I'm going to lose, without some sort of divine intervention if you know what I mean. I want to at least have a shot.

I don't mind ditching the Toyota engine. I'm just a toyota guy and own a shop that mostly works on toyota's, so I know them better than most other makes. But an LS would be really fun. My main reason for wanting to go links in the first place is just for the fun of building it. It's not something you see very often where I live. I do want to be able to drive it on the street though, just to get to places more easily. That's the reason I wasn't as interested in UTV's either. I wanted to keep it looking sort of like a toyota because of the shop ties too.

I have a lot more research to do, that's for sure! But I'm so appreciative of the input from people who know what's up!

jon coleman

i say a full size bronco, 4x4, baja silt is a little EASYIER than a hi strung 4 cyl buggy or 7 2wd, plus a bronco is better, stronger, top end faster then a sxs, theres one in rDc classifieds ready to race, ive been eye balling, ( no jon, dont do it$$$o_O

43mod

Buy dont build. Learn from it while you modify it to your tastes and fix all the crappy things the last guy did that you didnt see when you inspected it. Race it. Sell it. Start your new 6 month build w $50 budget. Spend 3 years and $95k. Wish you would have bought a really nice truck for $70k and been racing the last three years. Take on a partner to help finish your build. Split up partnership. Sell remains for $17k. Buy used but well sorted and carefully inspected race utv w ton of spares for $28k. Go race and have a lot of fun 5 years from now. Or just do the last part first.

partybarge_pilot

i say a full size bronco, 4x4, baja silt is a little EASYIER than a hi strung 4 cyl buggy or 7 2wd, plus a bronco is better, stronger, top end faster then a sxs, theres one in rDc classifieds ready to race, ive been eye balling, ( no jon, dont do it$$$o_O
This one?

Doooooo eeeeetttttt! Wonder if the cage is tagged to grandfather it in?

MTPyle

I agree with the buy it first not build first. You don’t know what works and what does not work yet. Better to start with someone’s V3 than you pay for the first 3 versions. You will modify and change a lot anyway so you will have plenty of time to work on it and make it your own.

I don’t think any race vehicle stays the way it was. They are always evolving.

I like the 4700 class of Jeep speed. Reliable v8 power that’s fun to drive but less expensive truck. Find a Pro truck and turn it into a 4700 and you will have a blast. When I see those guys racing they look fast and fun.

but also do not forget the most expensive part of racing, hint it’s not the truck. Haha. Racing the truck is what cost the big bucks. I was told you will spend what your truck cost in a year of racing and I think that’s true.

we have spent 3x what we paid for our truck in upgrades and prep and have only raced 1.5 seasons.

Mike

dan200

#BSF200
You might want to consider sportsman AKA 1450. You can use a toyota platform and then basically go nuts on however you wanna make the truck since outside of the safety requirements there is really only two rules. Steel cab and working doors.

The unfortunate part is if BAJA is your dream there aren't may who race in that class so you don't really have competition. But there is the "You vs. Baja" contest which is a gigantic challenge in itself. Fundamentally that is true with any desert race though. Its just bigger when its Baja.

Keeping it a Toyota would be great since thats your market and a Baja style Toyota will be cool to park in front of your shop like a billboard.

Don't discount Daves Ultra 4 races. His events are top notch.

Chris_Wilson

In northern Baja there are two series that are way less expensive than Score. Code is based on Mexicali and Record is based in Ensenada. For mini trucks, Record routinely gets 20-25 trucks in whatever class they call it. 7? 7s? Anyway lots of other mini trucks to race against there.

MTPyle

There also SADR that races in Rocky Point. They have a good turnout of the smaller truck classes.

Mike

J Prich

You might want to consider sportsman AKA 1450. You can use a toyota platform and then basically go nuts on however you wanna make the truck since outside of the safety requirements there is really only two rules. Steel cab and working doors.

The unfortunate part is if BAJA is your dream there aren't may who race in that class so you don't really have competition. But there is the "You vs. Baja" contest which is a gigantic challenge in itself. Fundamentally that is true with any desert race though. Its just bigger when its Baja.

Keeping it a Toyota would be great since thats your market and a Baja style Toyota will be cool to park in front of your shop like a billboard.

Don't discount Daves Ultra 4 races. His events are top notch.
Totally agreed about the Baja deal. IF Baja is your Everest, who cares how many you have in class. If you have limited resources and limited experience, getting to the finish at the 1000 is a WIN no matter what place you finish. Doesn't matter how many entries there are if you can't get to the end anyway so rather than focus on trying to chase a class with a lot of competition, if your bucket list goal is to conquer Baja, race literally ANY class your truck is legal in and go nuts.

At the end of the day I personally would rather "win" a 1 truck race at the Baja 1000 than win a 20 truck race at Primm or Laughlin. Not knock the fun and value of head to head competition, but getting to the finish line at the 1000 is an epic achievement that is hard to match IMO.

Get a hold of Dale Nyeste at BackroadsOffRoad in Kamloops. He and his dad, Bob, used to race a FSB anywhere from Kamloops to Baja. Sometimes on Propane. Also the people at BajaNorth in Kamloops. Ask both them also about some races in Montana and Wyoming.
Other good races are with BOR in Jackpot and Wendover; and VORRA East of Reno at Fallon and Yerington, and sometime Hawthorne. Both of them are inexpensive. Good places to get your feet wet, and only ~10-12 hours from Portland.
And like people say, look for cars in RDC's want ads for a first car.

NIKAL

Don’t worry about what class to race in. Just build what never you want then tell Score they need to make a class that fits your truck. Could always use another new class!

Just Kidding! Seriously if your wanting to build a truck that you could race Baja, yet still maybe be street legal at home. I’d build a 1450. That way you build and design at your budget. You know it will be race legal in a dozen different series. Become a great Pre Runner once you realize how expensive the racing part is. And it can still be built street legal. And when or if you want to sell it, you will have an easier time finding a buyer in BC.