What's the word? Linked frame trucks are dead?

WormSquirts

Are you interested in rocks? Ultra4 has a North series that races in Canada, Montana, and next year will have South Dakota and Crandon. Ties into KOH and our National in Reno.

A stock 85 Toyota won the stock class at KOH 2 years ago.

Rocks arent for everyone, but the racing is hard to beat.

Dave
I'm more interested in long course endurance and going fast, but rocks are cool too. Honestly it's more like what we have here. There's another shop a few towns over from us who races in KOH and it looks really cool. Ultra4 would make way more sense for our terrain, and I know they are fast too. I should look more into the classes you guys have as well. It's not a bad idea. I'm not huge on rocks though, even though it looks fun.

Buy dont build. Learn from it while you modify it to your tastes and fix all the crappy things the last guy did that you didnt see when you inspected it. Race it. Sell it. Start your new 6 month build w $50 budget. Spend 3 years and $95k. Wish you would have bought a really nice truck for $70k and been racing the last three years. Take on a partner to help finish your build. Split up partnership. Sell remains for $17k. Buy used but well sorted and carefully inspected race utv w ton of spares for $28k. Go race and have a lot of fun 5 years from now. Or just do the last part first.
Haha sounds like you have some experience here! I agree with you, and I think it does make way more sense. The problem for me, especially during these covid times, is that I can't come across the border to look at or buy a truck. And even if I could, there's no way that I could get it certified for street use when I imported it across the border. Very few people up here build these kind of trucks, so there are none locally that I could buy. I would have a much better chance getting into rally racing up here. I do agree though. I love building trucks as a hobby, but I would prefer to actually be driving it now rather than in 2 years after spending $100k and every weekend/evening in the shop. I should look more into the possibilities of buying one though for sure.

Lots of recommendations for 1450 class. I will look more closely at that. Like @J Prich said, when I finally have the opportunity and experience to race in Baja, it's more a race against the desert, than the other people in the desert. I would be psyched just to finish it for sure. Bucket list accomplished!

WormSquirts

You might want to consider sportsman AKA 1450. You can use a toyota platform and then basically go nuts on however you wanna make the truck since outside of the safety requirements there is really only two rules. Steel cab and working doors.

The unfortunate part is if BAJA is your dream there aren't may who race in that class so you don't really have competition. But there is the "You vs. Baja" contest which is a gigantic challenge in itself. Fundamentally that is true with any desert race though. Its just bigger when its Baja.

Keeping it a Toyota would be great since thats your market and a Baja style Toyota will be cool to park in front of your shop like a billboard.

Don't discount Daves Ultra 4 races. His events are top notch.
I'm going to look in more depth at 1450. It seems like a really cool class. When I originally posted, I was under the impression that it had to be leaf sprung, which is why I discounted it. I know that I should probably build a SUA truck, but nothing is as bad ass as a set of trailing arms and monster shocks.

I want to race Baja and finish it more than I want to beat people. Maybe if I find that I have the pace, in the future I could work towards actually racing in Baja competitively, but just finishing it would be unreal.

The shop part, I'm not going to lie, is definitely a factor. We don't build crazy race trucks or anything. More bolt on stuff mostly. The whole "overland" scene kind of thing. But I love doing some more wild exciting stuff on my personal truck. We are definitely known for toyotas though, so I don't want to change that by building a ranger, even though it's likely a way better choice!

jon coleman

in MdR, 1450 was a sportsman cheeper class, i would race That class in non jeepspeed series races, is it still ??1478,hmmmm, or was it 1479?, jeez , memorie is slipping, better get to next check point before they close,

Here's this W/E's VORRA classes, and entries, at Fallon. Most of the truck classes are lumped together in T class. We were headed to 7200 with our Ranger, but decided to heck with it, and we're going to throw some kind of bigger 351W in it. Cheaper, and more in tune with VORRA and BOR. We had the 4.0L in it, decided that wasn't enough (among other things), bought a 3.7L and 6R80, stripped the harness ,and everything, and now JuanCo's disappeared again, so no tune.
And if we eventually go South to something, there's Sportsman.

RACE 3 | Vorra Racing

Attachments

WormSquirts

in MdR, 1450 was a sportsman cheeper class, i would race That class in non jeepspeed series races, is it still ??1478,hmmmm, or was it 1479?, jeez , memorie is slipping, better get to next check point before they close,
You guys have for me leaning to 1450 now for sure. What does it take to be competitive there?

WormSquirts

bet you get some, hmmm, ' insightful answers' on that question...., lets just say top 1450 trucks of today are dang near trophy trucks of not to long ago, AND they are very fast for any new desert guy, work your way up as you pour the cubic box of $ into it as you get to know the truck& get more skills
Good advice

RobinsonMS

This one?

Doooooo eeeeetttttt! Wonder if the cage is tagged to grandfather it in?
Yea, do it! Shipping available to the border

RobinsonMS

2 cans of undercoat included. Clean up is easy, buying the expensive parts (full floater, King Shocks, Bead locks, radio) and fabricating the front and rear suspension is the hard part.

Come on Coleman, help me out here

jon coleman

2 cans of undercoat included. Clean up is easy, buying the expensive parts (full floater, King Shocks, Bead locks, radio) and fabricating the front and rear suspension is the hard part.

Come on Coleman, help me out here
All the components is what makes a good car, this one has all the right parts that dont break, , rule number one, buy someone elses labor, & investment in the parts, its about 25 cents on the dollar( im being generous),,,

JDDurfey

People don't realize that once the "big" purchases are made during a build the small stuff will then break you. Not only the cost, but the time it takes to figure everything out. I wanted to build my own for a while, but after following some of the build threads I realized that I would be much better off purchasing. I wish I could afford either of the Broncos listed in the Classifieds.

jon coleman

me personally loved All those trips Back to earls because all i needed was One more adapter kanuffulor flared dohickey, then feeling raped as you leave the store 200 dollars lighter& a Tiny Teeeeny bag of plumbing crap in- hand