What's the word? Linked frame trucks are dead?

Being a fellow Canadian racer, there's racing to be had here - which class to build for is really your big ticket question. As Dave mentioned, Ultra4 North is currently present out here in Alberta and Montana, hosted by our local groups Punisher 4x4 (AB) and YORR (Montana). Great crew to race with, typically hosting classes outside the regular U4 classes for the same events (I believe YORR has most, if not the same classes as the desert organizations). Tracks range from 7.5km per lap, to 50mi laps, with overall distances of 100km-200mi to get the endurance running in, and terrain ranging from purpose built rocks, to farmers fields and everything inbetween.

One day I wish to race Baja as well... and it'll be in my Ultra4 car. I really enjoy the U4 builds because they encompass everything, and allow me to partake in whatever style of racing I want to - which is especially important up north where our local racing/series options are limited. There's probably 25-50 U4 cars here in Western Canada, and most of the drivers have come from other styles of offroad racing - there's tons of experience and knowledge to learn from.

Before I forget - not all Ultra4 courses have the rocks like Johnson Valley does haha. That said, Hammers is a blast.

Drop me a message if you have any local questions.

WormSquirts

I'm still working on finding a stock truck to build. I know that buying one is the best way to get into it, but the build is a big part of the fun for me, even though I will likely make a tonne of mistakes. However, I am starting to think that sticking with leaves might be the better way to go for this first truck. 7100 still looks like a tonne of fun, and I assume it lines up pretty well with class 7s? I will eventually build a linked truck, but what do you guys think about starting with leaves and racing that truck first? It's not my dream, but probably a good stepping stone?

jon coleman

I'm still working on finding a stock truck to build. I know that buying one is the best way to get into it, but the build is a big part of the fun for me, even though I will likely make a tonne of mistakes. However, I am starting to think that sticking with leaves might be the better way to go for this first truck. 7100 still looks like a tonne of fun, and I assume it lines up pretty well with class 7s? I will eventually build a linked truck, but what do you guys think about starting with leaves and racing that truck first? It's not my dream, but probably a good stepping stone?
me personally would save up your money and step up to a mason tt, awd of course, build what you can as quick as you can, leafs will get you to the next check point before they close with plenty of time to spare, and the back half can Always be chopped off later after you buy all the killer stuff for cheeep on line to do the link set up, be patient, lotts of killer deals pop up , And there is always L D swap meet, Thats the honey pot for ' stuff'