What's the word? Linked frame trucks are dead?

HartLessPerf

Reaction
Being a fellow Canadian racer, there's racing to be had here - which class to build for is really your big ticket question. As Dave mentioned, Ultra4 North is currently present out here in Alberta and Montana, hosted by our local groups Punisher 4x4 (AB) and YORR (Montana). Great crew to race with, typically hosting classes outside the regular U4 classes for the same events (I believe YORR has most, if not the same classes as the desert organizations). Tracks range from 7.5km per lap, to 50mi laps, with overall distances of 100km-200mi to get the endurance running in, and terrain ranging from purpose built rocks, to farmers fields and everything inbetween.

One day I wish to race Baja as well... and it'll be in my Ultra4 car. I really enjoy the U4 builds because they encompass everything, and allow me to partake in whatever style of racing I want to - which is especially important up north where our local racing/series options are limited. There's probably 25-50 U4 cars here in Western Canada, and most of the drivers have come from other styles of offroad racing - there's tons of experience and knowledge to learn from.

Before I forget - not all Ultra4 courses have the rocks like Johnson Valley does haha. That said, Hammers is a blast.

Drop me a message if you have any local questions.

WormSquirts

Reaction
I'm still working on finding a stock truck to build. I know that buying one is the best way to get into it, but the build is a big part of the fun for me, even though I will likely make a tonne of mistakes. However, I am starting to think that sticking with leaves might be the better way to go for this first truck. 7100 still looks like a tonne of fun, and I assume it lines up pretty well with class 7s? I will eventually build a linked truck, but what do you guys think about starting with leaves and racing that truck first? It's not my dream, but probably a good stepping stone?

jon coleman

Reaction
I'm still working on finding a stock truck to build. I know that buying one is the best way to get into it, but the build is a big part of the fun for me, even though I will likely make a tonne of mistakes. However, I am starting to think that sticking with leaves might be the better way to go for this first truck. 7100 still looks like a tonne of fun, and I assume it lines up pretty well with class 7s? I will eventually build a linked truck, but what do you guys think about starting with leaves and racing that truck first? It's not my dream, but probably a good stepping stone?
me personally would save up your money and step up to a mason tt, awd of course, build what you can as quick as you can, leafs will get you to the next check point before they close with plenty of time to spare, and the back half can Always be chopped off later after you buy all the killer stuff for cheeep on line to do the link set up, be patient, lotts of killer deals pop up , And there is always L D swap meet, Thats the honey pot for ' stuff'

WormSquirts

Reaction
@Dave Cole 4454

I know this thread is a bit old, but I bought a 2005 access can Tacoma for cheap to build into a race truck.

I'm quite interested in the 4600 class, but there are a few rules that are making me second guess.

One of my problems will be departure angles clearance if I can't cut the body behind the rear tire, it's for sure going to get destroyed. My other problem is running ifs and 35s in the front properly will need some tubbing, but I believe that is illegal according to the rules?

Everything else is good to go, and I'm very excited to start ripping this truck apart. Just worried about those couple things which would be pretty tough to deal with on such a long vehicle. It's definitely better suited for a trailing arm type setup

Bebop

Reaction
Not sure a Tacoma is the ideal platform to race in 4600.
Look into the other cars that are competitive.

Discussion on another forum (hope I'm allowed to post this link)

WormSquirts

Reaction
Not sure a Tacoma is the ideal platform to race in 4600.
Look into the other cars that are competitive.

Discussion on another forum (hope I'm allowed to post this link)

Yeah I'm realizing it's not. I bought it to race class 7 originally, but got convinced to get into 4600, otherwise I would probably go with a V8 4runner

snivilous

Reaction
Yeah I'm realizing it's not. I bought it to race class 7 originally, but got convinced to get into 4600, otherwise I would probably go with a V8 4runner

Look up Sherpa Motorsports, they're in Colorado and built a V8 4Runner, also SRQ Fabrications I helped build their 3rd gen 4Runner. The body restrictions for 4600 complicates things, the front isn't bad but you're pretty much forced to go with long travel (which you'd want to do anyways) and that'll widen you out and help with tire clearance. You have to keep the inner fenders but can modify/replace the outerfender. As for the rear you're kind of SOL besides putting a thin bumper on it. Lift it a few inches with 35s to try and get a decent departure angle, or if you want to go more send build it as a 4500 and then you're much more free to chop it up but also racing with the more capable boys (though since the limited classes all race together, you'll be side by side with them regardless).

Gritt

Reaction
Hello everybody. I'm a new member here, though I do spend a lot of time cruising the forums. I should preface this by saying that I have grown up racing things, but never desert racing. I live in BC Canada, so there's not much like the desert up here, however it's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I drove down to Baja and back last year, and it convinced me that I need to build a race truck.

I've been searching like crazy to try and figure out what class I should aim for. The hard part is that a lot of the information is super old. I really wanted to run a Toyota Tacoma in a 7F/7200 type class. Basically really want to build a linked truck on frame rails that I would be able to possibly drive on the street up here in BC if I had to.

However, the more I research, the more I read that class 7 is dead, and everybody has moved on to full tube chassis trucks. I would love to build one, but it would be quite challenging up here in BC, and I wouldn't be able to use it as much if it wasn't Street legal.

So that's where I'm at. I've been looking for Tacomas to buy as a foundation, but now I'm wondering if I should be investing that money into tube and just going all in for a 7/7200/class 6 truck.

I am serious about this, and I've been reading a lot of rules, but it's hard to know if it's worth building a truck over the next two years only to find that nobody races the class anymore.

Really appreciate the input!
Yellowstone off road racing. Located in Billings Montana. Look at their website. Lots of vehicles from Canada come down and race. I race my other truck a ‘PROPHY’ on this circuit.DDB