What's Up With Smoking in the Marines???

Wendell #527

Reaction
Website
www.riff-raffdesertracing.com
I have three friends whose kids all recently joined the Marines. They're all good kids and the Marines have shaped them up real well. They've all sent pictures, and all three show them with cigarrettes in their mouths. None of them smoked before. What's up with that? Is that the thing to do when you join the Marines---start smoking???

bigtex

Reaction
I think you are pushed so hard and under pressure all the time they use it as a destresser(sp?). My mom works with alot of them for PTSD and almost all of them will take it at some piont to help metally. Althought it really does the oppisite this is what they do.Just hope thats the only thing they get into.Not sayin anything about the kids you know but the chances are high for them to find other addictions.

43mod

Reaction
my buddys/employees all have said smokers get smoke breaks,non smokers do not.My Air Force friend would take a break with an unlit cigaret and get told by the boss smoke or go back to work.

JPBart

Reaction
As an ex smoker I get it, especially if they are in a combat environment. Smoking can be a calming thing to do because of the mental aspects not the biological ones. For some reason I bet the prospect of getting shot at is a lot scarier than maybe getting lung cancer in 30 years.

josh909

Reaction
I started chewing in the Military. I was already a smoker when I joined. I'd say that 65% of the enlisted guys in my squadron were smokers. I only started chewing because I couldn't get a break to go smoke. I think most people that chew, started chewing in the military.

Wendell #527

Reaction
Website
www.riff-raffdesertracing.com
Yea the break thing just for smokers sounds like a bad policy. One of the boys is coming back and will be stationed down in 29 Palms. He wants to watch me race at the January MORE race so I'll see him then. I'll ask him if it has anything to do with the breaks. I think it might be a combination of being bored and also to deal wiht the stress. It will be interesting to see what he has to say about that. One thing I noticed last time I saw him a few months ago was how confident he speaks and even the way he stands. Pretty impressive.

TNT race photo

Reaction
when my father was in the corps they issued smokes with the meals, he died of lung cancer, Its bad enough these guys have other people trying to kill them.

TauMau

Reaction
Website
www.wisdomracing.com
My friend in the Navy told me it's absolutely for the smoke breaks. He's stationed at an office job and says it's the best way to get out of doing work.

I would say this is a counterexample to anyone claiming it as a "stress reliever". He tells me he's got a zero stress job.

I'm sure it's also largely a social factor.

usmcgunrock

Reaction
OK lets see if I can clear some things up. Do I smoke? I have and do when in country. I will also smoke a hookah with my interpreters or the locals. Now I don't have an office job and am very far from one so the smoking to have a break is far from the truth with me. For the guys that are in the field all the time smoking is actually bad because it gives your position away so a lot of guys dip. As far as doing it as a stress reliever it does work. Not so much the tobacco but the whole process. You stop, light up, just think about nothing, get a little bit of a buzz, share a little talk, then carry on. Kind of hard to explain. I would also do it to keep my mind going when on convoys or boring task. The military is really pushing to help people to stop. It is frowned on if officers smoke in front of enlisted Marines and medical will give you the patch and stuff to help get you off. It is not done for breaks, not done because it is cool, and there are a lot of worse things that Marines do.

Wendell #1303 let me know when we hits 29. I am TAD out there right now.

Blood Eagle

Class Act
Reaction
I started dipping in the Marines and like stated above, smoking gives away your position. When you are young and just starting to get on your feet in the military it is a social thing to smoke with eachother. Like when you hit the fleet and you don't have any friends, you can see a guy somking and have a conversation. I remember in bootcamp all the previous smokers having withdrawls at first and couldn't have a smoke for more than 3 months. The Drill Instructors told us that it would be stupid to start smoking after we got home but people are people weather Marines or not. Dipping is even bigger than smoking in the good ol' USMC. I still dip today and I smoke frequently as well. I need to change that, but I believe it to be a social thing that turns into an addiction in the military. As far as smoke breaks go, they do get them, but you would have to be pretty dumb to start just for that reason. It's a social thing.