• Forum membership has its advantages....

Whats Wrong Here??

fishd00d

What A Joke
Remember my video of that guy who had his shock brake apart in midair and the coils fell out?
Well here is his new truck.

Please tell me whats wrong with these pictures :)

Look at that top coil. This is at ride height. Is it suppost to be like this??

In this picture look only how much shaft is showing on the 10" shock at ride height and notice there are no bump stops, so the shock bottoms out to stop the truck!!

Here are his extended I-beams. He just cut them and welded a piece of 1 3/4 in there to make them 4" wider. Is it just me or does that not look to good? :)

This picture is hard to see but he just cut the stock radius arm and welded a piece of tubing in there, you can't see in the pic but half way back is a bend in the tube so it will align up!

What do you guys think of all this? :)

Go Big Or Go Home

Ryno

With what little I know, I do understand structure and strength very well. This dude is asking for trouble. I don't see a problem with the coilovers per se, but he'll blow the shock soon enough with no bumpstop, ever a rubber one is better than nothing. As far as his engineering capabilites....I think he needs Engineering 50 from his local JC.

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

ntsqd

"As far as his engineering capabilites....I think he needs Engineering 50 from his local JC."
That touches on a gripe of mine. I wish they would offer Statics and Strengths of Materials at the Trig math level instead of the Calculus level as they are commonly taught. I'd really like to see it at the Geometry level, but I don't think that's quite possible given the vector math. I think a lot of people in motorsports, and possibly other areas, would take such classes. Sure would reinforce the educated guesses that experienced, but not engineering educated fab people make.

As far as Rhyno's acessment, I think he's spot on.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Vector Statics I found to be very easy and I fully believe it coud be learned with minimal calculus if any at all. It is taught without calculus for non-engineering majors. I just leafed through an old book and it takes practice just like anything. I could do about every problem in my book without using calculus. The problem is, is that people see numbers and run because they think its too hard. As for Strength of Mat'ls that would be tuff to grasp intermediate and advanced concepts without the math background. It all just takes time, but then again if everybody could do it, everybody would be an engineer.

and since the subject of scholastics came up I like this quote from Good Will Hunting
"You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late charges at the public library."

As for the suspension on the ranger... I think he was safer with the coils falling out then with his new arrangement. IT goes to show that you get what you pay for. I assume he payed nothing and I think he got less then nothing...if thats possible.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.csupomona.edu/~kjhernandez>My Web Page</A>

"A man with a watch knows what time it is; with two watches, he is never sure" Joseph E. Shigley

V8Ranger

I just hope no one is driving next to him when his suspension breaks. That could be pretty dangerous.

Timberwlf

Well after reading this post I'm under the impression that this is a bad radius arm design...
I used 2'' .120 wall for the extension of the arm. The new design that I'm working on should be kick a$$ tho

Brandon
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://avprerunners.com> Antelope Valley Pre-Runners </A>

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 4.0L Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck/ Future 7 Unlimited Race Truck

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Hopefully its not anything like the old one!

Kris

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.csupomona.edu/~kjhernandez>My Web Page</A>

Timberwlf

Just so everyone knows im not the one who broke the coilovers.

Brandon
avprerunners.com

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 4.0L Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck/ Future 7 Unlimited Race Truck