What's your favorite cnc

JONNY B

Reaction
I thought i would start a new post to see who on here has the coolest toys,and maybe share some tips and experiences in fabrication.I was also curious where people work.Being a certified cnc nut i love to talk shop.

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
i run a HAAS TL3 at work with a multifix toolpost , that,s my only experiance i program with the intuitive for most stuff and complex profiles we have a guy we use for milling create the program

Scott_F

Reaction
My favorite CNC is the one that is making racing parts for me! :)

rharriman

Reaction
If I could have ONLY 2 it would be the TL-2 Lathe and the VF-2TR Mill The tool room seires of lathes are awsome and have a learn function which makes programing easy and its macro are also easy to use. The 5-Axis Mill is nice but if you have the money a bigger table would be nice also. :D

BTW.. At work we have much bigger lathes and mills but for offroad I don't think the size is needed once you have your fab table.

Last edited:

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
If I could have ONLY 2 it would be the TL-2 Lathe and the VF-2TR Mill The tool room seires of lathes are awsome and have a learn function which makes programing easy and its macro are also easy to use. The 5-Axis Mill is nice but if you have the money a bigger table would be nice also. :D

BTW.. At work we have much bigger lathes and mills but for offroad I don't think the size is needed once you have your fab table.
after using the TL3 for almost 3 yrs now i,d get the SL-10 or SL -20 with the intuitive option , HAAS also offers a on board cadcam option on all their full on cnc,s as well it is a up grade option for the TL series as well , just have to bug my boss to invest in it .

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I have worked on a large variety of machines over the years. As far as controllers go, Haas is on the top of my list. The bottom of the list would be anything with conversational programming.

For construction/accuracy, Mori Seiki's are top of the list. Bottom of the list is YAM (nicknamed the Jam for it's tool changer) Hurco's and anything made in Italy.

JONNY B

Reaction
i do like the mazak nexus we have but after using the haas they seem more rigid and reliable and cost effective(for the money).I would have to disagree about machines made in italy though
switzerland makes the best sheet metal machines.We have a hurco press break and a hammerle i would take the hammerle any day over the hurco imo. Im a huge bystronic fan hands down best software package of any machine built to date. bullet proof performance and speed.Any sheet metal guys out there have an opinion on blm laser's ive never seen one in person and was curious.Whats the best tube laser?

JONNY B

Reaction
Apparently i miss read pbp post and i do agree with you what machine from italy do you dislike i wonder if we have something in common

SteveinAZ

Reaction
Jonny, that VF-7 is a monster, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a "beast", had one in a previous life. Nice big travels, but they are quite short on "umph" in both rigidity and HP...that 20 HP sticker on most machines is peak...just before she blows (it's actually a 10 HP motor in there). The Haas machines are nice, but if you want to make some money with a CNC, the low purchase price is a facad, they just cannot compete with the high end machines. They definitely have their place, and they can definitely make good race car parts, but I like my box way Toyoda with a true 25 continuous HP spinning a Cat 50 tool...no problem peeling off 150 cubic inches per minute of aluminum.

Jeff has a point...Mazak! Not at all familiar with Mazatrol, but I would be willing to learn it. But really, any Japaneese "M" brand will be fine in my shop...Matsuura first, Makino or Mazak or Mori...maybe even an Okuma. Matsuura H-Plus 405 would be at the top of the list, but I could definitely squeeze a Mazak HCN5000 right next to the Toyoda BM1400...that 40HP 18,000 rpm spindle would make me want to go drop a grand or so on aluminum just to play around. Really, any 400mm or 500mm pallet machine would fit!

Flip side, the only CNC lathe in the shop is a little Hardinge Conquest Super Precision, holds tenths all day, but no torque to spin 5.50" T316 SS on the last job. If I had more lathe oriented work, I'd look for something in the 10" chuck range...probably a Nakamura or Mori with a subspindle and live tooling, maybe even a Y.

la2baja

Familia
Reaction
Haas are fellow Baja Racers as well as NASCAR Racers. The only way to go.

RaceTec Pistons

Reaction
Having run most that were listed above my favorite is good old (2 years) machine #58, DMU70 Evolution... I love the DMG controls... I also really like our two Takasawa's, they are the only two of their kind in the states and they do kick **BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME**! Just like anything in life you get what you pay for... Not to mention fixturing and tooling makes a world of difference too!

JONNY B

Reaction
One of the things about haas i like the most is the simple american ingenuity have you ever looked behind the sheet metal labeled hot on the back of there lathes.Its a $2 burner off a stove it uses as a resistor to slow down the spindel.how simple is that to fix.

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
One of the things about haas i like the most is the simple american ingenuity have you ever looked behind the sheet metal labeled hot on the back of there lathes.Its a $2 burner off a stove it uses as a resistor to slow down the spindel.how simple is that to fix.
the $3450 enclosure we put on a TL3 was not cheap but the fit is damn thing leaks like crazy coolant is always on the floor :mad:

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
The worst machine on the planet FADEL their lead screws are nowhere big enough. If you own one of these have X & Y screws in stock you will need them!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
A few people who have toured haas said they dont use haas machines to make their products...