• Forum membership has its advantages....

Wheeeeewww!! Thats A Relief...

My dad taught me how to drive a stick when I was 11 or 12 because we went dirt bike riding in the desert and he wanted me to be able to drive the truck to the hospital if he got badly injured. It was before the days of cell phones. I wish more cars came with manuals nowadays. Pretty much a thing of the past.

43mod

I made my son drive to and from school w 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full in the middle of the bed in Toyota pu with bed liner. by the time he was 16 he was dead smooth and the bucket rarely moved an inch to and from school. of course the Toy is dead after he sailed it off of a levee almost into the river,kids.......

My mid life crisis car would be a manual Supra but I wouldnt want to drive that thing at 4pm on the 805 going south, its a crawl all the way down to the border

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My first car was a manual Chevy Luv. Dad spent 10 mins with me in a parking lot and dialed me in. My first job was on Shelter Island. That meant lots of traffic and Grape St by the airport every day. (Grape street is a nice packed hill climb).

I miss that truck. It was my moms and it had blown a head gasket. Dad said, if you fix it, you can drive it. Head gasket kit was cheap, but machine work was not.

I put the cylinder head in my backpack, well, most of it, and walked the mile and a half to school so I could hand file the head in Auto Shop. Put 20-30k on it before it needed a head gasket again. Haha.

CSB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offspring

'65 half-baja bug, Chula DMV, Parallel park on 4th street hill between two cars. Cake. I still don't know why the tester even got in that car but he did.

Drove to carlsbad to get a holly bug spray for it, never ran right after that.

Pulled a intake bolt out but drove it to BAP in Chula and pulled head in parking lot, they machined in a new one. I then put it back on and drove it home. They were not happy with that but I had it apart when they saw what I was doing.

Almost drove it off a small cliff on Fiesta Island one night, that would have been ugly.

Honda48X

My first was a 1970 CJ-5. But my dad started me at around 13 shifting the car when he was driving. He had me watch his foot and when he pressed the clutch I had to shift. Add is a dirt bike and the concept was embedded into my brain. Was not that hard to learn.

OK, since we are bringing up our 1st vehicle driven/learned to drive in, I learned at 12yrs old in a, 1965 Dodge Power Wagon, 4x4, 4-Door Crew Cab, W300 1-Ton, 318 V8, 4-Spd Manual Trans (factory) with a 3-Spd Under-drive (Gear Vender), (2-shift levers = 12 total forward spds and 3-reverse spds.)
Interesting part of driving was you had to use the clutch to shift the factory transmission and "No Clutch" to shift the 3-Spd Under-drive. My father installed the 318 ci and under-drive to accommodate a cab-over camping shell and the 9,000 lbs custom built, expanding camping trailer. With 9-passengers (family + grandma), equaled 8.5 tons rolling down the hwy on vacations in the late 60's. (Similar to this truck)
1965 dodge power wagon.jpg

Once I had my learners permit in hand at 15yrs old, my father let me drive his 1955 300SL Mercedes.
300SL.jpg

In 1978, I drove his 1965 Rolls Royce, Bently, Flying Spur to my Senior Prom with my date and 4-friends.
1024px-Bentley_S3_Flying Spur..jpg

Last edited:
At 19yrs old, I was racing this, Lola T240 F/A, Top Speed = 160mph
vintage-watkins-glen-2006-1972-lola-t240 (1).jpg

1st Street Bike, 1967 BSA 650 Hornet,
67BSA-A65hornet-R.jpg

1st Street Car, 1969 Honda 600N, 600cc Air Cooled 4spd. (I could not keep the Senior Football players from from picking it up and carrying it away to the middle of the campus.)

Attachments

Last edited:

Honda48X

OK, since we are bringing up our 1st vehicle driven/learned to drive in, I learned at 12yrs old in a, 1965 Dodge Power Wagon, 4x4, 4-Door Crew Cab, W300 1-Ton, 318 V8, 4-Spd Manual Trans (factory) with a 3-Spd Under-drive (Gear Vender), (2-shift levers = 12 total forward spds and 3-reverse spds.)
Interesting part of driving was you had to use the clutch to shift the factory transmission and "No Clutch" to shift the 3-Spd Under-drive. My father installed the 318 ci and under-drive to accommodate a cab-over camping shell and the 9,000 lbs custom built, expanding camping trailer. With 9-passengers (family + grandma), equaled 8.5 tons rolling down the hwy on vacations in the late 60's. (Similar to this truck) View attachment 196701

Once I had my learners permit in hand at 15yrs old, my father let me drive his 1955 300SL Mercedes.
View attachment 196702

In 1978, I drove his 1965 Rolls Royce, Bently, Flying Spur to my Senior Prom with my date and 4-friends.
View attachment 196704
The truck is awesome. My grandpa had almost the same truck. We would go hunting for Elk in November and that damn truck went almost everywhere. I loved it and had the bug for off-road at a very young age.

My first dirt bike was a 1967 husky 250 that had about a inch and a half of shocks on the rear but that thing could send dirt 30 feet behind it. Good times.

Nice VW... Ol"C

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Dad sold ours in '65, transmission was going, I'd also put my knee through the sunroof on ours. :(

Mom got a '67 after a couple years driving a squarebird.