Wheeeeewww!! Thats A Relief...

Blood Eagle

Class Act
Reaction
This may be a crazy question...but can anyone recommend a good book on how to deal with "interpersonal conflicts in the work place from a managers perspective"

Because of the oil crash, I was demoted and now manage a shop of mechanics that do not get along. I have never had guys I managed not get along. Everywhere I have worked or managed I've never dealt with this kind of petty BS I deal with here.

I hope to move up in the company someday down the road, but if I can't fix the issues here in this shop why would anyone give me more to manage in the future?
I manage mechanics and one time throughout the years there were 2 that didn’t get along. It makes for a really negative work environment and comes down to the people who dislike each other are too big of pussies to squash it on their own and are relying on management to make it happen. So the bottom line is someone’s probably got to go. The guys I had who hated each other fed off of their hatred of one another and constantly tried to out do the other. Production was never higher. But even the net positive for my situation was always a struggle with the employees who hated each other. It sucks for you as you inherited the situation but poor communication is likely what led to it. There may even be one guy who is the “problem” and has affected the entire shop. So be super engaged in everything everyone does and find the problem employee. Build a case and call on them one by one to prove their worthiness. Maybe even pair guys on something to force them to accept each other. When you understand for sure the causes invite them one by one in to your office and let them vent and ask them if they give a f. After that monitor everyone and find and squash issues as they arise to prevent it from being a thing. But someone’s probably got to go.

jon coleman

Reaction
Every shop i was in on the love boat cruise's had the disruptor member, stir up strife, grief mayhem, distract, just make a big drama mess, they feed on it and skate out of work because it was always easier to just tell them go away, hide somewhere, they were easy to spot quick & ' dispose' of, ( no, I wasn't that guy, believe it or not), , when you can go home at night & weekends off, its sooo easy to get along, imagine in a hate shop 24/7 for 6 straight months???, aaaah no, sounds like theres one that just makes it ALL miserable usually, maybe BE is right, somtimes its hit the road, ( try the talk it out first method, it does work when you point out someone is just a hatefull drama queen, with one or two impartial guys to back it up, humble pie is a good dish sometimes

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Congrats I think?

No matter what, I know I’ve said it before but I’m incredibly grateful for the friends and connections made and maintained over the years here on RDC. Cheers Klaus!
"Congrats I think?" Yes! definitely a great thing and long time coming! Thank you.

In regards to that other new site, a saying comes to mind. "Always imitated never duplicated".

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Checked it out briefly, did not see a forum, at least not directly on their website. I'd guess 90+% of RDC visitors are here for the forum(s) and not so much the articles.

Offroad websites have come and gone, I was an avid visitor and contributor to desertracing.com back in the early/mid 2000's
Articles, race coverage, vehicle features, etc. are the most costly part of running a website like this. I hope more than 10% read them or at least look at the photos. The forum is great though and the friendships and connections made over the years are priceless (similar to what @JRod said). Thankfully we have a strong community here and its weathered the storm of social media for the most part.

Starting a new forum now would be pointless unless its very specific to a topic, vehicle, etc.. I figured that out a few years ago when I installed a forum on the Off Road Action website. The website has a dozen years of great content but starting a forum is almost impossible to get people to signup and post these days. There are a few good build threads over there though.

JDDurfey

Reaction
managing a shop full of hate, , after 2 wes-pacs, good lpo, shop manager has it or doesn't, get some books, but if you got it, your gut feeling will be a better guide.sooo gladd i never made e 4( not until reserves), being in charge looks unfun

We had a "Come to Jesus" meeting yesterday as a group. And then I pulled several guys aside and had conversations one on one. In all my years of managing shops and even my landscaping company 20 years ago, I have never dealt with the petty BS I am dealing with in this shop. So I was caught off guard because I've never had to deal with it before from a manager position. Of course, there have been conflicts over the years, but they are short and resolve themselves in minutes. This crap has been going on in this shop for more than a year I found out and the former shop manager who was demoted to mechanic didn't stop it, and this week has been part of the problem.

What it all boils down to is the old saying we were all taught as kids needs to be practiced..."If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything" And just some good ole fashioned "Respect" needs to be implemented. Hopefully it is over with, but if not, they were all warned that we will deal harshly and individually with this in the future.

But you are correct, sometimes it is much easier and much less stressful to simply be an employee and not in a management roll. Before I was demoted due to the slow down I didn't have to deal with this kind of crap on a daily basis. I was out of the loop so to speak. I don't have a college education. My management style is that I treat my guys the way I would want to be treated as an employee. That philosophy has always worked. But this situation is one that I was thrown into that I didn't create, but have had to deal with.

Last edited:

jon coleman

Reaction
yup, less grey hairs when you work neck down, when Your in charge& work from the neck up, its a stress thing I hate

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Articles, race coverage, vehicle features, etc. are the most costly part of running a website like this. I hope more than 10% read them or at least look at the photos. The forum is great though and the friendships and connections made over the years are priceless (similar to what @JRod said). Thankfully we have a strong community here and its weathered the storm of social media for the most part.

Starting a new forum now would be pointless unless its very specific to a topic, vehicle, etc.. I figured that out a few years ago when I installed a forum on the Off Road Action website. The website has a dozen years of great content but starting a forum is almost impossible to get people to signup and post these days. There are a few good build threads over there though.
I just took a wild guess, I'm sure I'm way off. Maybe just making the assumption based on registered users, but I'm sure the site has far more visitors who just lurk or don't register that read those articles.

I like the idea of starting threads about the articles in the desert section, gotta admit I've read more than usual because of it

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
This may be a crazy question...but can anyone recommend a good book on how to deal with "interpersonal conflicts in the work place from a managers perspective"

Because of the oil crash, I was demoted and now manage a shop of mechanics that do not get along. I have never had guys I managed not get along. Everywhere I have worked or managed I've never dealt with this kind of petty BS I deal with here.

I hope to move up in the company someday down the road, but if I can't fix the issues here in this shop why would anyone give me more to manage in the future?
we had a guy at my shop who was a giant arsehole. bi polar. and kinda psycho. Remove toxic people and tell them thats why you are removing them. IT did wonders for us over here.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I just took a wild guess, I'm sure I'm way off. Maybe just making the assumption based on registered users, but I'm sure the site has far more visitors who just lurk or don't register that read those articles.

I like the idea of starting threads about the articles in the desert section, gotta admit I've read more than usual because of it
Yeah there are a ton more people visiting the website than active users in the forum. The threads in the forum linked to the homepage articles and features is a new feature Klaus worked on for a long time. It also merges WordPress comments on the homepage posts with forum thread replies so its all combined. Glad you like it.

btshannon

Reaction
I manage mechanics and one time throughout the years there were 2 that didn’t get along. It makes for a really negative work environment and comes down to the people who dislike each other are too big of pussies to squash it on their own and are relying on management to make it happen. So the bottom line is someone’s probably got to go. The guys I had who hated each other fed off of their hatred of one another and constantly tried to out do the other. Production was never higher. But even the net positive for my situation was always a struggle with the employees who hated each other. It sucks for you as you inherited the situation but poor communication is likely what led to it. There may even be one guy who is the “problem” and has affected the entire shop. So be super engaged in everything everyone does and find the problem employee. Build a case and call on them one by one to prove their worthiness. Maybe even pair guys on something to force them to accept each other. When you understand for sure the causes invite them one by one in to your office and let them vent and ask them if they give a f. After that monitor everyone and find and squash issues as they arise to prevent it from being a thing. But someone’s probably got to go.
Never underestimate the impact of a very public firing. . .

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Chad just sent me a text asking if there is a way to find the photo of Pistol signing Robby's truck. He said it's in here somewhere and thinks it was the 2012 Parker race. Anyone remember which thread or have that photo saved? Search option might not be much help since there were so many posts by Pistol and about him...

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
It was the year Pistol ran paddles in qualifying for sure. I'm pretty sure it's also the year @pdailey raced with him. Chad and I were talking about it on FB the other night.

View attachment 217196

View attachment 217198
Yep. Pistol was running awesome and lost the brakes right before I got in. They fixed them in the pit quickly. We were in the Top 5 TT’s when the converter let go on the last lap. That was a blast.

Josh 8

Reaction
You guys are a bunch of laimo nerds.

“Read’ins for stupid people! We all got t.v. now!

Last edited:

43mod

Reaction
Forced lunch. It is hard to treat people poorly while breaking bread w them. Set up a three person lunch. Take a phone call and walk out the door. They will figure it out. Repeat.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
It was the 2013 parker race. Here is a thread link I found on planetrobby but it's a dead one http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/110215-Parker-Resul...

another http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/110234-what-really-... dead too

It sounds like it was the race pete ran paddles in Q?
Thanks! I figured out the dead links. A little rearranging of the link structure. Must have been because of the older forum we had before. And I found the photo. I just texted it to Chad.

pistol-signs-robbys-truck.jpg

blue dog

Reaction
I think I will bake some cookies in the truck today. 114 in the Vegas valley.
Prey for a foggy cool coastal morning.