Wheeeeewww!! Thats A Relief...

Big Hock

Bababooey!!!
Reaction
So now 2020 takes away Brodie Lee/Luke Harper. I know there’s not many pro wrestling fans in here besides me, but the guy was a total badass and only 41 years old. RIP.

blue dog

Reaction
First time in her life she has needed a lift

Attachments

• KIMG0082.JPG
    KIMG0082.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 60

blue dog

Reaction
Where I am there are 14 full time residents. Only here for the snow season. Hopefully covid goes away and my industry comes back in Vegas.
Working in snow cats is ok, except they always break down when the weather is bad and they break down up on top of the mountain, never in a heated shop where you have all the tools.
Going to be cold Tonight, open skies after a storm.
Ward racing, I'f you want passes for the mountain, I can get day passes. And Eagle point has better terrain then Brian head.
Steeper, deeper and cheaper.
A lot of SLC people come down this way to ski, SLC ski resorts are expensive.
Cheers

Tube ride

Reaction
When I used to go up there it was elk meadows. When the snow was good we would go the extra miles and get cheap condo and no big crowds . If anyone would ever ask about it we would say it suck whatever you do don’t go there and try to keep it fight club

blue dog

Reaction
In a week or so I will be going to Brian head to see my Buddy, maybe we can meet up. I will pm you, you may know my friend up the hill. Mike at Mountain services ?

blue dog

Reaction
It's cold tonight.

Attachments

• KIMG0084.JPG
    KIMG0084.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 34

Goober

Reaction
Where I am there are 14 full time residents. Only here for the snow season. Hopefully covid goes away and my industry comes back in Vegas.
Working in snow cats is ok, except they always break down when the weather is bad and they break down up on top of the mountain, never in a heated shop where you have all the tools.
Going to be cold Tonight, open skies after a storm.
Ward racing, I'f you want passes for the mountain, I can get day passes. And Eagle point has better terrain then Brian head.
Steeper, deeper and cheaper.
A lot of SLC people come down this way to ski, SLC ski resorts are expensive.
Cheers
I always wish I had got a job as a snowcat operator. The hours suck but I thought it would be fun.

blue dog

Reaction
I got to drive my first piston bully at the end of the day. Drove it down a ski run not being used back to the shop, all in maybe 2 miles. Very easy to drive, kinda like a big skid steer. Front plow is 12 way and easy to figure out. On the back end, not sure on the tiller and mats to make the corduroy. You set the depth of the tiller and apply up or down pressure to get perfect skiing. But that is all beyond me without some direction
We have a master groomer from Vail, he is good and runs the machine fluidly, and he doesn't beat up the machine.
One night after a good snow dump, I am going to go for a ride and see what I can learn. For now, I just get to maintain and fix them, and at best drive them to where I can repair them. We have 2 piston bully's, cummins powered, a Prenoth with a cat motor, ( Strong machine with big balls ) and a older Bombardier that has a nice 12 valve with zero smog crap on it, that machine will outlast all the new fangled tier 4 fancy smog compliant German groomers any day.
There has to be over 100 zerk points on these new machines, have to be greased every 8 hours. Don't think that has ever happened until I got here. Piston bully's seem to pop hydro hoses regularly as well, all I can think is the drivers are pushing the machinery too hard.
I will snap some pics of these things tomorrow. They can creep up some pretty steep terrain, enough to make you plan an exit out of the cab If things go sideways.
I think they top out at about 25 mph, but they normally troll along at about 10-15 mph. Tomorrow is day 19 straight without a day off, come Jan 2, a few days off to relax and do some laundry and hit up the grocery.
One more 16" dump and all runs should be open, good base now, and more snow coming over the next few days.

Look up Tucker snow cats, they are awesome, but not usually used for commercial grooming ski runs but they can go anywhere and are just bad ass.

Cheers from Eagle point.

blue dog

Reaction
FYI, I am not a heavy equipment mechanic, or a mechanic for that matter.
I am a millwright and structural fabricator ( I glue metal together in funny shapes from plans in a clean shop environment for specific uses )
Different form of the normal structural welder.
I have no idea how I ended up doing this job except that covid destroyed the industry I was in. But I am figuring it out and it's not rocket science. Unbolt broken part, bolt new part on.