Wheeeeewww!! Thats A Relief...

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
That thing was a glitchy nightmare. Should have ad Apple design the computer for it.
My manager at Fox was an Inventory Manager at Tesla before that, he said when the demand was really high there were some questionable things that were done to push them out as soon as possible

Wendell #527

Reaction
I got rid of my 2004 GMC 2500 because it had 420,000 miles on it. It had an 8.1 with the Alison transmission in it. My new GMC 2500 with the 6.0 now has 99,000 miles on it and I still miss my old truck. I shoulda never sold that truck.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
I wonder if insurance companies are offering insurance for catalytic thefts...

The Tacoma one on there is close to $500 and I'm sure if they made one, the Tundra would be priced similar. I have no clue how much it would cost to replace the one on my Tundra.

Way back when I had my first 95.5 Tacoma 2.7L, I put a flow master exhaust and Downey headers but had the cat removed. The sound was as annoying as a Fast and Furious Civic lol

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
In my direct neighborhood cat theft is not happening that I know of.
In my greater area yes.

I would imagine a lifted truck is a prime target because one can easily get below it.

My personal approach if it would happen here where I life...is a solution of prevention vs. economic recovery.
- Skid plates that cover access. Downside is overheating of the cat. perhaps tamperproof fasteners, hardened steel with holes smaller than wrenches and the saw-saw blade for cooling. Temperature probe pre and post installation.
- Alarm systems that can directly alert you near by so blunt force of violence can be the reposes.
- Welding the cat in place / enforcing the cut areas with hardened steel angle iron.

Blood Eagle

Class Act
Reaction
Prius is the primary target. Rhodium is up to about $25K an ounce and certain Toyota catalytic converters have about a gram of Rhodium in them plus palladium and other stuff. So a team of a few people sees one parked on the street, jacks it up and uses a sawzall and cuts the cat off and is in and out in 30 seconds. I have a guy who comes in and buys cats from me. He'll give me anywhere from $50 to $200 depending on the make and model of the vehicle. He has a cheat sheet on his phone that shows how much precious metal content they have and offers me money for them. It's smart that way because if he gets busted with a bunch of cats and says "I bought these from Blood Eagle at blah blah". Cop comes in and asks me questions and I say yeah he did. But it's not just Prius that targeted. I've seen a rash lately of Jeep Grand Cherokees, F-150s etc. Toyota truck ones like a Tacoma and Tundra are mostly located in the exhaust manifolds and not very accessible. These thieves are going for ease of access and in the case of a Prius, sheer value of the contents and done in a team. There are no aftermarket CA legal Prius cats available currently so it's dealer only in CA and it's such a problem that they are now on backorder. I'd assume a newer Tundra is the same situation. Dealer only and likely very expensive. But I haven't heard of Tundra thefts. Just easy ones.

jon coleman

Reaction
just weld in a test pipe, o2 obd II delete, get a phoney cat back order toyota dealer receipt to show a judge thats Even if you get caught.....

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
Cat thefts have skyrocketed in the south bay area. Lots of Priuses in the area. Fortunately most of the cops around here have had little than normal to do due to the pandemic, so they're actually out patrolling the streets catching these friend thieves instead of breaking up bar fights.