Wheeeeewww!! Thats A Relief...

Tube ride

Reaction
556ACB84-CD86-4F6F-AA41-3D26750230A8.jpeg
E9268E69-DC5E-489D-8196-A93B00481773.jpegWrangler needs to get a trophy truck , battle of the britches!

JDDurfey

Reaction
Is it just me, or do any of y'all get depressed when you are passed up for a promotion at work? Not only did I get passed up, 6 weeks ago I sat in my office with one of the guys that makes the decisions and he told me I was the most qualified person for the position in the company. Yesterday he called me to tell me that another guy is getting the position... A guy that calls me for advise on how to repair our equipment, a guy that has never managed a shop in the company, a guy that has never worked as a mechanic a day in his life. He is a good guy. I like the guy and we worked well together a few years ago when we were in the same yard. But now I have to answer to him and I am WAY more qualified than him for the position!

I have another job opportunity in a different line of work, but at 45 years old I have no desire to change companies and start at the bottom and work my way up. The benefits where I currently am are great. I've worked hard for 7 years to get to where I am with this company. I've never said "no" to a project or a responsibility. I've transferred and moved anywhere the company needed me. I've been the guy to "fix" three different shops that needed to be drastically improved and now they all run like a well oiled machine. For the last 6 months I've felt like I'm being "punished" because I am good at my job and I am stuck in a yard I don't want to be at. So am I pissed? Heck ya I am!

Rant over, I'll get over my pity party in a few days and try to get motivated to get back to work.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Is it just me, or do any of y'all get depressed when you are passed up for a promotion at work? Not only did I get passed up, 6 weeks ago I sat in my office with one of the guys that makes the decisions and he told me I was the most qualified person for the position in the company. Yesterday he called me to tell me that another guy is getting the position... A guy that calls me for advise on how to repair our equipment, a guy that has never managed a shop in the company, a guy that has never worked as a mechanic a day in his life. He is a good guy. I like the guy and we worked well together a few years ago when we were in the same yard. But now I have to answer to him and I am WAY more qualified than him for the position!

I have another job opportunity in a different line of work, but at 45 years old I have no desire to change companies and start at the bottom and work my way up. The benefits where I currently am are great. I've worked hard for 7 years to get to where I am with this company. I've never said "no" to a project or a responsibility. I've transferred and moved anywhere the company needed me. I've been the guy to "fix" three different shops that needed to be drastically improved and now they all run like a well oiled machine. For the last 6 months I've felt like I'm being "punished" because I am good at my job and I am stuck in a yard I don't want to be at. So am I pissed? Heck ya I am!

Rant over, I'll get over my pity party in a few days and try to get motivated to get back to work.
I know the feeling, it took me 4 tries and 5 years to get the job I have right now. Each time over 200 people applied for it, the 3rd try I was told I was the 4th "best" candidate, I lost to a girl with a shiny new fancy degree who never held a job in her life. She got fired and I have the job now.

Don't give up, eventually things fall into place.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Use your advanced knowledge to create a situation where the dude will fail. Then swoop in and be the hero. Let your big boss know that while they made a poor choice and promoted the wrong guy that you understand that your new company car, extra vacation time, better benefits and the giant bonus you're gonna get are cool with you and you'll keep doing your new supervisors job for him.

Make these things their ideas. Be manipulative. Profit. Buy boat. Bang hoes.

Zac Reish

Reaction
Use your advanced knowledge to create a situation where the dude will fail. Then swoop in and be the hero. Let your big boss know that while they made a poor choice and promoted the wrong guy that you understand that your new company car, extra vacation time, better benefits and the giant bonus you're gonna get are cool with you and you'll keep doing your new supervisors job for him.

Make these things their ideas. Be manipulative. Profit. Buy boat. Bang hoes.

Wtf!

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
I recently got put into an interim lead position and discovered it was not for me. Decided just being the hard worker who can be counted on is where I belong. Thought I would like being in charge...not so much. Still get same respect without the crazy headaches and personality drama that come with the position. Plus the small amount of extra pay was not worth it. Next week I return to my normal duties and I cannot wait.

JDDurfey

Reaction
Sounds like you are great at your current job, so they see no reason to move you from it. That would also make them have to replace you with a likely lesser person.

That's a positive way to see it. They can't afford to lose you where you are.
That is part of my issue...because I am good at what I do I am being punished, so to speak, and held at this level because they don't want to lose me in my current role. However, this is the third shop I have "fixed" for this company. I trained my replacements at the other two and those shops still run like a well oiled machine. I have my replacement here lined up and with less than a month of training I could walk away and with some guidance here and there, the guy will do great. Quite frankly, the guy who is at fault for letting these shops get in the shape they were in is the reason I didn't get the promotion. If he paid more attention to the managers he was supposed to manage "skills" wouldn't be needed.

Because of COVID and the oil crash last year I was demoted and put in this position. I was asked where I wanted to work and I didn't get it, but rather told that if I didn't take the management position at this shop I wouldn't have a job. Now a year later, I fixed it, and I want to move back up, except higher than I was before.

The biggest reason I wanted the promotion is that I would be able to be home most nights. I would still need to travel 1 to 2 weeks a month, but right now I am only home 8-9 days a month. My son is 9 and I have traveled his whole life for work. I am tired of being away and I want to be home more.

Like I said...I'll get over it in a couple of days...just needed to vent.

JDDurfey

Reaction
I recently got put into an interim lead position and discovered it was not for me. Decided just being the hard worker who can be counted on is where I belong. Thought I would like being in charge...not so much. Still get same respect without the crazy headaches and personality drama that come with the position. Plus the small amount of extra pay was not worth it. Next week I return to my normal duties and I cannot wait.
Management isn't for everyone. I am pretty good at it and rarely do the people I manage dislike working for me. I don't try to be everyone's "buddy" but yet I do genuinely care for my guys and their families. We have a good time at my shop, but we crank the work out too.

JDDurfey

Reaction
I don't see this as you being punished in any way. You are employed at will, yes?
Every day, they choose to keep you employed.
If they wanted to punish you, why would they keep you employed?
Using the word "punished" is probably not the best choice of words. "Being held back from advancement" is a probably a better description of it.

Yes I am employed at will. I am not in the "In crowd" with upper management, and the position I want would put me in the upper echelons of the division of the company. I would be the maintenance supervisor. So instead of putting me there, they are keeping me in a position which benefits the company more, but not where I want to be.

Honestly, it isn't about the money. I already have a company pick up and I am paid well. I just want to be home more and I can't make what I make around home.

Last edited: