Wheel sizing/ back spacing

Ryno

Reaction
I was looking at wheels today, and unclear on backspacing, what it is, what it means, how much should I have? Also, for all the race trucks, they go with a 8" wide wheel, for a 12.50" wide tire. I am going to run 35's...so stick to an 8" wheel? Help please....

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Cactus_Boy

Reaction
Backspacing is the measurement from the inside bead on the rim to the mounting surface. So if you want an 8" wheel with zero offset you need a little less than 4" of backspacing. (depending on the material thickness of the wheel)

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Yes, a 8 inch wheel is fine for a 35x12.50, it's better than a 10 inch wheel, and don't use anything smaller....7 inch wheels are too narrow and bead will not seat properly. backspace is the distance from the edge of the rim (on the backside of wheel) to the wheel mounting surface. most 8 inch wide wheels (like American Racing, eagle, etc) have about a 3.75" backspace, which is fine. What you want to avoid is a backspace smaller than that. like 2" or something, this makes wheel stick out farther, and puts more stress on ball joints and stuff...it would be like using a wheel spacer. You also don't want a deep backspace, (more than have width of wheel) because then the wheel and tire will be in real close, and will rub more on radius arms, etc.
Jaron

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
We run 7" rims with 35" tires. Two Baja 1000's and a Baja 2000 without a problem.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
where you would run into a problem is a Baja 3000. Just kidding, I'll take that as good proof it can be done problem free...

I've had 12.50's on 7 inch wheels too, but I do know the bead taper is usually designed for 8-10" wheel.