• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Wheel stud hole changing

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
I have pro comp cheap steel wheels on my 4Runner. I will be switching to 5/8 studs soon.

Is it just as simple as it sounds to drill out the wheel stud hole and put a changer on the lug but side?

I’ll do it all on a mill and on a rotary table not going to use a hand drill.

jon coleman

acorn?,or ' rv' style? lugnutzz?, steel wheels I hand drill w acorns, then a slight touch w a countersink to seat nuttz, antisieze, tork, done.( Re check after a few dirt bounce miles, with rv, you need somthing to truly center the wheel, machined shoulder hub center, that wheel centers on.or spot face on rim, usually aluminum rim , that rv lug fits ' into' to center wheel

Last edited:

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
IMG_1674.JPG
IMG_1676.JPG
IMG_1675.JPG

This is what I have now and I was thinking of basically doing what you said drill then just hit with a countersink

jon coleman

forgot , Do not counter sinkToo much!!, thin metel is weak!, , you want the taper of lug to have some ' meat' to grab, too deep, & your grabbing wheel w- a thin piece of metal, start shallow, use blue to get a good pattern, lug line about1/3 in

Attachments

jon coleman

also lottsa antisieze on taper& threads, & check& Recheck tork, acorns off road especially new setup take a little bit of off roading to get a a good' seat'

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
I’ll throw the lug nut in my comparator at work to verify lug but taper, definitely knew to just kiss the hole with the counter sink, and for sure I check the the jugs frequently when new. Found that out they like to loosen up.

Great information. Thanks guys!!

jon coleman

5/8" lug i say 80- 100lbs tork, ( dry) sound bout' right?, just go to google and get tork specs, bolt size& different lube numbers

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
5/8" lug i say 80- 100lbs tork, ( dry) sound bout' right?, just go to google and get tork specs, bolt size& different lube numbers
I use my Milwaukee 18volt 1/2” impact in everything I own to a few chugga chugga clackity clacks then check torque with my 1/2” drive torque wrench and it clicks at 75ft pounds usually because I set it there and never really change it.

Has worked for me. But like you said checking acorn style lugs frequently on fresh powered coat or new install is a must