Wheels for Wendy - Fundraiser & Ride-a-Long Raffle for Injured Racer

Baja Belk

Reaction
As many of you know, Wendy Belk, veteran racer (past Baja 500, Vegas to Reno, and Powder Puff champion), was injured in a freak accident at this year’s NORRA 1000. She was struck by another vehicle while attending to her own car, on the final day near Todos Santos, while leading her class and running 9th overall. After 3 tense days in critical condition in a hospital in La Paz, she was airlifted to San Diego. Once stateside, she spent 45 days at UCSD Hillcrest, enduring 15 surgeries and battling other complications while recovering from the accident. The damage she sustained eventually resulted in the amputation of her right leg below the knee (among other major injuries). It has been an up and down summer, but she is getting better every day, and looking forward to strengthening both legs so that she can undergo knee ligament repair and eventually begin fitting prosthetics.

The outpouring of support from the desert racing community and friends in other circles has been overwhelming, and our family is eternally grateful. Wendy is blessed to have such a supportive network encouraging her during her recovery. We are also thankful for medical insurance, which has borne most of the brunt of the immense cost of care. However, insurance does not cover everything, especially when it comes to prosthetics. In a joint effort to express our thanks to our desert family and support Wendy’s out-of-pocket financial burden, we are starting a campaign to raise funds for Wendy, with an incentive for two lucky donors to receive the opportunity to ride shotgun in an actual race, the upcoming MORE PCI 300 in Lucerne (September 29th).

Please follow the link below to contribute to Wendy’s fund. Each donor will be entered in the sweepstakes for every $5 dollars given (ie: donate $20 for 4 entries to win). If you would like to help Wendy, but are not interested in the contest or physical unable to race, you can still donate and may opt out by emailing me at bajabelk@gmail.com.

Click here to support Wheels for Wendy organized by Mike Belk

We will also be selling WB stickers, for $5 each, with all proceeds going straight to the fundraiser. You will be able to purchase these at Kartek, at Vegas to Reno contingency (hopefully), the PCI 300 contingency, and potentially online (still working on that one).

I understand that this is the second separate opportunity to win a ride in a race car at this race. What a great chance to experience an actual race first-hand!

Although the campaign and opportunity to donate does not expire, we will be pulling 2 names on September 10, just a month away. Myself and the incomparable LJ Kennedy will be splitting driving duties, giving each winner a ride for 2-3 laps in the navigator’s seat of the 512 Precepts Class 5 Unlimited Baja Bug.

Winning donors must be between the ages of 16-55, and physically able to race. Safety protection for the race and lodging for 1 night included. Winners will have an opportunity to practice with us before the race.

Please help us support Wendy through the beginning stages of her new life as an amputee, as she transitions into her next great adventure.

We can’t thank you all enough.

Sincerely,

Mike Belk, Wendy Belk, the Belk Family, and Precepts Motorsports

IMG_5472.jpg

IMG_0190 copy.jpg

IMG_6554.jpg

188809_548883032525_3977136_n.jpg

IMG_5115.jpg

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4543.jpg

32214799_10100207983861155_6290627470743830528_o.jpg

IMG_5160.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_2794.jpeg

IMG_2791.JPEG

w5 copy.png

DSC_8480-01 copy - small.jpg

Attachments

retroblazer

Reaction
I’m buying a couple of tickets, and I would ride in the race car in the unlikely event that I won. However I would need an age waiver since I’m 60. I drove the Mint 400 and the SF 250 last season and plan to drive my car in this year’s 1000. I bring my folding cane with me, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Baja Belk

Reaction
I’m buying a couple of tickets, and I would ride in the race car in the unlikely event that I won. However I would need an age waiver since I’m 60. I drove the Mint 400 and the SF 250 last season and plan to drive my car in this year’s 1000. I bring my folding cane with me, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
That'll work, I hope you win! Thank you for your support.

MasTacos

Reaction
Done! All the best for her, I'll pick up a couple of stickers too at V2R.

dhjeepgeek

Reaction
Thanks for sharing the pics. She looks like she is in good spirits and working out. She will need a gas pedal attachment for the prosthetic leg. Then she will be back kicking ass on the race course.

Baja Belk

Reaction
Enormous thanks to everyone who has contributed. We shot past our goal of $5k, and Wendy had her first test-walk last week on her first "beginner" foot, only about 6 months ahead of schedule. Call it a prerunner leg....

IMG_2210 copy.jpeg

We are still taking donations at the GoFundMe page, and names are still being entered into the give-away for the September race ride-along. Thank you all for all your support!!

JenMorton

Reaction
These photos and Wendy's recovery 6 months ahead of schedule are truly incredible.
I'm not surprised with all the support I witnessed in La Paz from your family and your entire race team.
Please let her know I look forward to meeting her and telling her in person how much she inspires me and ALL women racers.
Our donation sent with love from the Morton family.

ErikIrvine

Reaction
who won?

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Oh Bummer! Next race I am sure I'll win