Wheels

John Bitting

Administrator
Has anyone heard of taking an existing wheel welding the holes and redrilling it to a different lug pattern? Thank you in advance.

"faster than it looks"

Ryno

John-

I have seen wheels that have not been welded, and re-drilled, using as many of the existing holes as possible. I wouldn't do it myself. 6 lug 5.5" wheels are a dime a dozen. Look in the parts trader...you can find a set for anywhere from 100-400 bones.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Get the wheels that have a cap to cover the lugs and then you can redrill the holes and nobody will ever know...I have seen that done before.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

Dave_G

RE: "welding the holes and redrilling it to a different lug pattern?"

No welding on aluminum unless you like having butter for wheels.

:)

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

hoeker

i'd never consider it, but i think the cost would outweigh new wheels any way. if your 5x5 and want 5x5.5, i think it'd be safe to redrill, look at how much wheel is left when your done.

LIGHTS RIGHT
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Here is how much wheel is left...a lot cheaper to draw it up real quick then drill and find out too late!!!

Kris

ntsqd

Unless we're talking 3 lug wheels for a Citroen 2CV I'm having trouble thinking of why you'd want to do this.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

BA_DirtDriver

Nice photoworks rendering what size are those stud holes? They look small to me. Also center hole size. is this a hub vehicle app or not?

Mike_HKmtrsprts

John, about 4 years ago I picked up a rim and tire combo, it was drilled once for the chase vehicle(ranger) and then again for a chevy s-10 which was the race vehicle kind of a good concept keeps all the rims the same but I dont know if it would have been cheaper for they to just but differnt rims for each vehicle. why dont you just contact APP and save us all some money and they can protype off you while your at it see if they make 17" for 6 lugs for my suburban :)

John Bitting

Administrator
APP makes the wheel I need. Good luck trying to get ahold of them. Why would I want to redrill wheels?? Lets say you were given(FREE) 6 17" beadlock wheels with 37" projects on them in killer condition but they were 6 on 6 lug pattern off a trophy truck. I was checking into my options to try and run them. The price was right.

"faster than it looks"

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Lug holes are .525 and center is 2 or 3 inches. The wheel is 17" and I did it jsut to show JB what kind of space would be left with a redrill.

Kris

Sites

Can anyone recommend a shop that could reliably re-drill the rims in the San Diego area?

94' Lightning Prerunner (in-progress)

ntsqd

I think it would be easier to change the truck. If I recall correctly you're now driving a GM ? 6 lug came stock on some of those, shouldn't be too big of a deal to track down the bits and bolt them on.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.