Wheels?

hoeker

chuck, most guys in the CORR sportsman ranks use the american racing wheels with good success. this would be only up to a 33" tire and about 750 HP. most of the guys running pro are on 17" rubber and i don't think any one runs american racing wheels. i do know that american racing is trying to get back into off-road more and starting to offer beadlocks from the factory and i think 17's again. hopefully they are going to make them strong enough to compete at the unlimited truck level. hope this helps

www.rosshoek.com

FABRICATOR

Does anyone here race on American Racing Equipment wheels? They are the only ones with back spacing close to what I am looking for. I bought one as a sample today for a potent, beefy Class 1 car. The box says "Made in USA" in bold letters, but the wheel says "Made in China" on a tiny gold tag. There also are no warranties if used for racing. I know they used to be OK. I would appreciate any first hand input. (here or PM)

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Camburg used them on there race truck but when it rolled the rim broke into about 7 pieces I could unstand it bending over flat but it scares me to know that they will shatter we are lucky no one got hit by flying pieces....Mike

Harpo

We exclusively run American Wheels on both trucks and have had no problems as long as they are not run on flats for any length of time or the bead isn't blown off from a spectacular crash!!

Bryan_D

The American racing wheel is the only wheel allowed for the jeepspeed series and they are one of the best supporters of the class there is. I have never had a problem with them but again I run a cherokee and it doesnt quite weigh what a larger truck would.

SpareChangeRacng

I think the reason Camburgs wheel grenaded was that they were cast. Wouldn't a forged wheel bend, and be a better choice? Steve

FABRICATOR

Thanks for the info so far. I forgot to mention that the wheels in question are 17" and will most likely go inside 37" Project tires. The car will weigh right around 4000 pounds and will only be in the 550-600 HP range. I know of no forged wheels other than those for duallys (7" wide max.), and the pricey 5 lug wheels from Circle Racing Wheels that have a lot of back spacing.

BSchlimme

Definitely a cast wheel is prone to "explode" or "shatter" instead of bend as a forged wheel will.

Also, I knew awhile back American had some "racing" bread wheels that had a thicker center for 5/8" studs I believe.

I've personally put the Robby cast wheels through a beating as well as the Phillips forged wheels but both of those were on a ~2500 lb buggy, 15" and 330hp.

SpareChangeRacng

Yeah the Alcoa's are semi common in the old F-150/bronco pattern (5x5.5) but those are 15's and probably not enough offset. I think the large offset he wants is the major problem. APP is most likely the best choice. It seems many of the trophy trucks are running um in the 17" size. I'd check them out if you haven't yet. Steve

tedmales

i do not know if they have an alcoa to fit, but i got hit by another truck when i had a ford ranger, got hit by a toyota going about 50mph, hit front right tire hit my left rear tire, bent his frame bad, bent the rear end houseing of my ranger, broke his wheel, only scratched mine, not even bent a little. really strong.

curt

We've been racing the AR Outlaw II for almost 10 years now....never broke one, never seen one broke, only bent one once. Nice and cheap, $100.00 in contingency prize if your promoter is on the ball. Curt

choppekx

Teddy,

I thought that accident happened on a whooped out off-road trail, how were you doing 50 m.p.h. in stock trucks. I will admit your wheel was only bent though, the rest of that pile crummpled around it. Sounds like it may have happened in a parking lot to me.

FABRICATOR

So far, the Outlaw II is the only wheel I have found with much choice of backspacing. It looks like Alcoa only makes 16", 19.5", and big truck wheels now.

FABRICATOR

What's up with that?? Maybe that's why they were snotty about an inquiry such as what the back spacing of any of their wheels are.