When are you too old to race competitively?

Advertising supports this site

43mod

RDC Crypto
After some time off getting my life , business and retirement in order i am looking forward to racing TTS and utv soon . Will be 56 by then . Shoulders are junk , reading vision sucks but mid to long range is v goid for 55 , 🤷🏾‍♂️? . Clearly do not have the energy or desire to work 100 hour weeks anymore . Competitive ?? I think so ? All i have to do is beat mp right ?

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
After some time off getting my life , business and retirement in order i am looking forward to racing TTS and utv soon . Will be 56 by then . Shoulders are junk , reading vision sucks but mid to long range is v goid for 55 , 🤷🏾‍♂️? . Clearly do not have the energy or desire to work 100 hour weeks anymore . Competitive ?? I think so ? All i have to do is beat mp right ?
remember, if you dont expect to win , dont even show up, ( I've read something like that here on rDc....

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
Cameron is 54. I don’t see any sign of him being slower. I‘m 58. Personally for me I notice a big difference between 54 and 58. 54 kinda felt like 47. 58 feels more like 62. Lol
Cameron still has the passion of a 35 year old though.

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
, my mom turned 83 last month, she said all that bull St about its the ' new 73 is just that , bs, 83 is the new 82 she told me, no getting around ' old'

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
LR turns 65 this year.
Rob Mac is 57.
Gus Vildossla is 69 this year.

How old was Rod Hall when he quit racing competitively?

Old Truck Guy

RDC Crypto
Not a desert guy, but Tom Schwartzburg is in his 53rd season of off-road here in the Midwest. I think he's ~79.

Here's a discussion I had with him (and his wife who is an equally lovely person) on the Champ Off-Road podcast last year.

Tom will freely admit to you that "being competitive" isn't part of the gameplan for him anymore, but he is still showing up and putting on the helmet...
Yeah, the Midwest guys are a different breed. Flannery, Le Duc, Greaves, they are all just as badass ass the west coasters.
How many of you guys remember Jack Flannery at the '86 Riverside world championships launching his antiquated twin I-beam over a 120' plus gap just before Thompsons Ridge? I caught that moment on 8mm video. Even Ivan and Walker couldnt clear that gap. That was effen NUTS!

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
Only 59 Ben but thanks anyhow. Still competitive in class 5u. Getting ready to try TT spec. Maybe race the spec in TT legends but I need to find another old decrepit person to share driving with
I Know of a guy!

Speaking of that guy- my dad is 66. I think he’s hit that age where the skills are there but the doubt causes loss of confidence. Once you think you’re too old, you make some mistakes, then the doubt creeps in and it’s the end.

So much of high performance driving is driving on the edge if not outside of your comfort zone. Once that zone shrinks you are not able to be super competitive.

I got passed by Larry Ragland at norra and I’ve never felt so slow. He’s still fast. Not sure if it’s translates to being competitive in high level TT racing .

Last edited:

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
RDC Crypto
What is the peak age assuming one races at a young age. Is groomed into racing at an early age. Teenager. In theory you will now increase performance with every additional mile raced. But when does it peak and decline because of 'age' limitations.

In sports where the physical body plays a much larger role we see it in pro-sports at a rather young age. I don't follow any ball-sports but my guess is that after 35 there you decline in competitiveness like football, soccer, running, MMA, bicycling. Now in motorsports I think that age is a tad higher. When does it peak?

Steve_Sourapas

RDC Crypto
Website
stevesourapas.com
Not willing to take the chances anymore like I used to. Maybe with air support I would feel more comfortable. Still can't believe the punishment today's vehicles can take as it's still hard for me to abuse the drivetrain like the top guys do. My best days are way behind me but it was lots of fun for many years.