When are you too old to race competitively?

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
i see a new score class, in about 30 years, sxs senior class

Attachments

• images (11).jpeg
    images (11).jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 0
Advertising supports this site

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
When your FAT and OUT OF SHAPE.

In today’s world you better be in shape to handle the abuse your body takes. The ones that work out and stay physically in shape will have a better chance at staying competitive. Hell, even golfers now days are working out and staying in shape.

Watch the video of Andy M. crashing off the corner and the physical abuse his body took in that very dangerous crash. When your heavy, physics don’t play on your side. If that had been a 250 or 300 pound fat guy look out. The stress on your body is seriously compounded. I’ve been on a few accidents mostly violent or sudden stop accidents where a triple A (abdominal aortic aneurysm) occurs and it’s pretty much over.

Trauma. For example, being injured in a car accident can cause an abdominal aortic aneurysms. Weight plays a factor.

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
Mark Martin, some of the early mx guys who took training to the next level were my motivation, staying in shape is tuff, it only takes 6 days of couch time to wipe out 6 weeks of work outs, why cant it be the other way around?, after my accident, i could not do one push up, im up to 70, still too low, takes dedication

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
I Know of a guy!

Speaking of that guy- my dad is 66. I think he’s hit that age where the skills are there but the doubt causes loss of confidence. Once you think you’re too old, you make some mistakes, then the doubt creeps in and it’s the end.

So much of high performance driving is driving on the edge if not outside of your comfort zone. Once that zone shrinks you are not able to be super competitive.

I got passed by Larry Ragland at norra and I’ve never felt so slow. He’s still fast. Not sure if it’s translates to being competitive in high level TT racing .

As a young guy I was very impatient with old people. I was like “come on it’s the same as when you were 35, step on the gas”.
I’m 58 which is not very old but I have noticed my reaction time is slower and I miss things around me. I think it’s more that you notice you make mistakes. I don’t actually think it’s losing confidence, I think it’s realizing you aren’t as good as you were and knowing that living to see your grandkids grow up means more than driving 10/10ths used to mean.
I do still love to get nuts in the desert, especially if I’m in the buggy, utv, raptor, alone. It’s all on me then and no worries about hurting someone else. Lol.

green787

RDC Crypto
Website
realsound.us
When you're 68 years old and 7s, the class you used to race in is destroyed by V6 wrecking yard motors.... That's when you are too old to be competitive or even want to try..... The family fun of just racing to beat the terrain is gone folks....

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
Larry Roeseler at 65 is setting the bar for sure. The guy is still crazy fast in a old top heavy truck. Wonder how he would do in a new Mason AWD.
wonder how he would do in the more 7 revival class in a clapped out 22r powered yoda?😬

Attachments

• images (14).jpeg
    images (14).jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 0

Baja Bryan

RDC Crypto
Whats his secret to remaining a competitive thread?
Some people have that desire and passion to win. He has it for sure. Baja 500 prerun for about 10 days I seen him every day and breakfast and dinner. He was out there prerunning every day by himself alone most days. After 50+ years dont know if I would have that much drive. Seems like he still like it to. I was asking him how many times he has dont the goat trail in prerun and race. I think much be well over 1000 times. He told me when he was 14 he raced that and the goat trail was actually the only road to Vally T.

Some day I vote we change the "goat trail" to " LR G.O.A.T. Trail "

Last edited:

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
LR goes to Baja to ride for fun and get away. There is a reason they call him Mr. Baja.

Back in his Kawasaki enduro days, he was winning everything. Came to the Tecate Enduro one time and brought his little 125. Still kicked everyone elses butt in the 250 Pro class.

Matthew Camp

RDC Crypto
In the mid 80s I got to go to riding clinic put on by my uncle featuring LR to show us some tips . We came up to a almost vertical toole cliff and LR was going to show us how to do it while your in first place leading a race . We all waited in awe to see some big dramatic cliff send…. He jumped off his bike grabbed a handful of front brake and ungracefully hog walked his bike down the cliff , got to the bottom and looked back up at us and said the eternal words “To finish first , first you must finish , don’t let your ego get the best of you.

B.HAGLE

Solutions
RDC Crypto
In the mid 80s I got to go to riding clinic put on by my uncle featuring LR to show us some tips . We came up to a almost vertical toole cliff and LR was going to show us how to do it while your in first place leading a race . We all waited in awe to see some big dramatic cliff send…. He jumped off his bike grabbed a handful of front brake and ungracefully hog walked his bike down the cliff , got to the bottom and looked back up at us and said the eternal words “To finish first , first you must finish , don’t let your ego get the best of you.
Thats good stuff

mig29

El Wikipedia
RDC Crypto

Like RobMac, he's one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Super polite, un-assuming, very likeable

They are both "good guys" with a "bad a**" skillset

goodgirlsbadgirls.jpg

^^^ seen at BCBG storefront ("Bon Chic Bon Genre")

"Good Style, Good Class"

Bon chic, bon genre (French for 'Good style, good class') is an expression used in France to refer to a subculture of stylish members of the Parisian upper class. They are typically well-educated, well-connected, and descended from "old money" families, preferably with some aristocratic ancestry. The style combines certain fashionable tastes with the appearance of social respectability. The expression is sometimes shortened to BCBG[1] (the fashion company BCBG Max Azria was named in reference to the subculture).

Parallels are often seen between this subculture and similar upper-class social groups in the United States ("preppy") and the United Kingdom ("Sloane Rangers").[2] As with those groups, the BCBG subculture drew mainstream attention during the 1980s. Thierry Mantoux published a handbook for BCBG style (BCBG – Le guide du bon chic bon genre) in 1985. It was a French equivalent to The Official Preppy Handbook and The Sloane Ranger Handbook, both published earlier in the decade.

The BCBG social group is associated with certain residential areas in Paris and Versailles. It is often identified with the 'NAP' area formed by the triangle between Neuilly-Auteuil-Passy, from the 16th arrondissement to the Bois de Boulogne,[2] as well as the 6th arrondissement closer to the centre of Paris.[3] It is associated with the 7th and 8th arrondissements for shopping.[4]

The BCBG subculture is not to be confused with the French socio-economic group known as 'bobo' (a portmanteau of bourgeois and bohemian).

Fashion​

The BCBG style tends toward the conservative and classic, to "de-emphasize 'sexiness' and 'flashy' signs of wealth", and it is influenced by Anglo-Saxon clothing styles.[5] Some brands trendy with the BCBG group include Gucci, Max Mara, Le Bon Marché and Chanel.[4]

Examples of the BCBG style are seen in Clive James's first Postcard from... television series, when he visits Paris during the "Postcard from Paris" episode (1989). While he is sitting in a cafe, people demonstrating 'good BCBG' are pointed out to him.

Both RobMac & LR started out humble (with GREAT attitude), developed their skills progressively, rose to the "Top of their Class"

They are classic case of

"Class always figures out a way to Win"

images.jpg

Last edited:

Jessaca

RDC Crypto
Website
www.wickedracingca.com
I don’t think it’s so much the # but how you feel. I have been racing since my 20s in the 90s. Not even close to being done. I have been playing roller derby for the last 7 years. Super physical. I just retired. Not because I can’t do it anymore. I can still go against those youngsters but the after effects are getting harder. My shoulders are so messed up. Sleeping is hard to do on them. So, that and time restraints have forced that retirement.

NIKAL

RDC Crypto
Define competitively? There are lots of people racing off road that never win a race. If winning is the definition of being competitive then we have allot of “racers” who should retire.

I think it’s more about desire vs age. When it becomes a chore, or not worth the time, money & effort. Then it’s time to get out. Or maybe when races like NORRA is more attractive then say a Score or BITD race, then maybe it’s time look in the mirror.

For me it was not that I was not competitive or could not run or lead our class. For me it was just not worth the money or effort anymore. You have seasons in life. My “season” was ending and new interests or desires were more important to me,

Maybe in a few years when my daughter is 15 I’ll buy another UTV like the Speed UTV Diablo that I can mildly build up and race a few D38 races with my daughter, just to share the experience with her. Maybe do a NORRA race, not to win, but just for the experience with her.

Until then we do family desert trips, I’ll mix in a few Baja play trips which I realized I loved more then racing anyways.