WHen robots go bad

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Well this quarters design competition amongst robots brought out a more fierce bunch of bots. OUrs was the intimidator by far...sporting a 50cc 2 stroke motor which powered a tubular spinner with #4 live centers (LC's are for the tailstock of a lathe...about 3 pounds each) on each end. Well we gave the crowd a show and then it got out of hand. Other bots were nto hitting each other so we took it upon ourselvves to go in and please the crowd...well we did a bit mroe then that...after so many hits the weapon plastically deformed and then eventially broke off sending it into the crowd at over 100mph. It was bad news as it hit a classmate and his sister and sent them to the hospital with huge wounds to the shin area.

To read more..as it made front page in this morning paper

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sgvtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,205~12220~1015980,00.html>http://www.sgvtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,205~12220~1015980,00.html</A>

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

Attachments

ntsqd

Reaction
Is that blood on the LC point ? Ouch......

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

orvacian

Reaction
3lb weights spinning at 100mph held together with cheap welded seam tubing? Look like they should have seen that comming.

shrek

Reaction
We just saw the story on the news at 1100pm!!! That sucks!!!

Dont tell anyone where you got the parts.........................j/k ha ha Kris?? Kris who??? I dont know any Kris.............haha

Matt

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
The weapon was designed for 10 LARGE hits (200lbs) with a FS of 1.5. It did not fail due to bad design...it failed due to giving into the crowds cheering and going in and doing major damage to all other robots which was way beyond its intended use of 10 hits. Once the thing started wobbling from the damage we backed off but by then it was too late and the piece hit the concrete and sheared off right after the weld which is where we calculated FS from. We beat down 5 other robots simultaneously after putting out 3 of them in 1 on 1 competition with only a single hit each....so yeah we saw it coming, but it was a go big or go home situation.

As for the cheap seamed tubing...when you are on a budget...you gotta do what you gotta do and stay within its limitations...which we did not do!!

Kris

V8Ranger

Reaction
Thats pretty nuts Kris. The word around school is that you pretty much took a chunk out of that guys leg (including bone) and you hit hi Girlfriend or wife. Is that true?

martininsocal

Reaction
The article in the Paper said both were treated for minor injuries and released the same afternoon from the hospital, so it couldn't have been that bad.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Well I just found out today that it did break his leg and also when the hospital stiched up his wife's leg they did it too tight and now she has to get skin graphs (sp?) to fix it...at least he got out of taking the final for the mechatronics class....so it cant be so bad! I think I would take a broken leg over taking this final!

Kris