Where do you recommend I begin racing bikes?

ILoveAsianDirtyBirds

Reaction
I'm an intermediate level rider and I want to start racing in 2011. Can anyone recommend a series that would be a good places for me to start? I live in LA and ride a 450X.

Cheers.

kim

Rescue 3
Reaction
District 37. We have about 27 races a year. Hare and hounds, desert scrambles, grand prix, enduro and summer motocross series. PM me with your info and I'll tell you all about desert racing, the where's, how's and how much. You will need a district 37 license and AMA card both available at the races.

Entry fee's are typically $35-$40 per race.

I'm a member of Rovers and Rescue 3, feel free to look me up. You will want to hook up with a club and sign up as a guest pitter. There are many, many reasons for joining a club and will tell you all of them.

Here is the 2011 schedule:

Date Club Race Location
1/9 Jackrabbits H&H Red Mtn.
1/16 United MC Enduro Johnson Valley
1/23 Desert MC National H&H Johnson Valley
2/5-2/6 Dirt Diggers GP Taft
2/13 Four Aces National H&H Red Mtn.
2/19 (Saturday) D37 Awards Banquet Hesperia
2/27 Checkers H&H Johnson Valley
3/5-3/6 Prairie Dogs GP Glen Helen
3/12-3/13 HBMC Dual Euro Johnson Valley (N.Anderson)
3/20 Prospectors Enduro Red Mtn. (Stevens Mine Rd)
3/27 Dirt Diggers Desert Scrambles Red Mtn. (Digger Camp)
4/2-4/3 Hilltoppers GP 29 Palms
4/10 Rovers H&H Johnson Valley (Cougar Buttes)
4/24 (Easter) Vikings National H&H Johnson Valley
4/30-5/1 Shamrocks GP Primm
5/7-5/8 Badgers Dual Euro Red Mtn.
5/15 VCMC Qualifier Enduro Gorman
5/21 (Saturday) SoCal MC Night Race Red Mtn. (Wagon Wheel)
5/28 (Saturday) 100’s MC 3 in 1 Red Mtn. (Wagon Wheel)
6/4 RHR Golf Tournament Riverside
6/11-6/12 RUTS Dual Euro Johnson Valley
6/18 (Saturday) Prairie Dogs Night Race Johnson Valley (N.Anderson)
8/28 Invaders Desert Scrambles Johnson Valley
9/3-9/4 Vikings GP Cahuilla Creek
9/11 Lost Coyotes Desert Scrambles Red Mtn. (Wagon Wheel)
9/17 (Saturday) Desert Daisies Desert Scrambles Johnson Valley (Rock Pile)
9/18 Daisies/VCMC Enduro Johnson Valley (Rock Pile)
9/24-9/25 Shamrocks Dual Euro Stoddard (Slash X)
10/1-10/2 Viewfinders GP Ridgecrest
10/2 Viewfinders Classic Scrambles Ridgecrest
10/9 SoCal MC National H&H Johnson Valley
10/16 Training Wheels Enduro Red Mtn. (Wagon Wheel)
10/23 100’s National H&H Johnson Valley
10/30 Hilltoppers Desert Scrambles Johnson Valley
11/5-11/6 Prospectors GP Gorman
11/20 Four Aces Enduro Johnson Valley (Rock Pile)
11/26 (Saturday) RHR Desert Scrambles Johnson Valley (N.Anderson)

Kim

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
my advice is to go out riding twice a week if possible, and get real good and confident before you begin racing. Ride with better riders and pick up their skills.

jsallenbach

Reaction
District 37 is where its at, my brother and i both race. He races in 450 begginer and myself 450 Novice quad, great races and tons of fun! I'm planning on running the Hare and Hound series, first just do some desert scrambles to get a feel for what its all about.

Scott_F

Reaction
If you are truly an "intermediate level rider", as in Motocross Intermediate, then you already have all the speed and skill for racing desert at a high level. In addition to those skills, you need a lot of experience riding in the desert, endurance to ride at speed for hours and expert ability to read the terrain.

ILoveAsianDirtyBirds

Reaction
Well, to clarify, I'm not sure what skill classification I am. I'm not a total beginner, but I'm also not super fast. I can hold my own on most things from sandy whoops in Baja to single track in Gorman. Whatever classification that is. Sounds like D37 is a place to get a taste.

jsallenbach

Reaction
Ride as much as you can in the desert before the next season starts, go to barstow, lucerne, ETC. Most races are held in johnson valley, spangler hills, and some in barstow. Go for long rides learn the terrain just go over anything the desert has to offer.

kim

Rescue 3
Reaction
In D-37 unless you hold some sort of pro or expert card you will start off as either a Beginner or Novice. Since you are an adult, presumably, you can sign up as a Novice. Once you obtain the required number of transfer points you will be bumped to intermediate and so on.

Also as a novice you will have the option to race either just 1 loop of a race or you can choose to race 2 loops. Typically the 1st loop is for all skill levels beginners included with the 2nd loop being tougher with more technical, rocks, sand, whoops etc. When you sign up for a race as a novice it is presumed you will do 2 loops unless you CHECK THE 1 LOOP OPTION BOX. Red numbers indicate 1 loopers Black = 2 loopers.

Beginner level racers always do 1 loop only. Novice is the first skill level where you have the ability to go both loops.

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
Reaction
D-38 is better Hahah ;)
But plaster city is a long drive for you :)

ChromolyKid

Reaction
Website
www.youtube.com
District 37 for sure. If you're not sure of your skill in a desert race, do what I did and start in beginner. That way you get a feel for how the course is laid out, and what they expect of you, without too much pressure from competition. Be sure to pick a good bomb line :)

I recommend not being stupid like me and starting with the Vikings National. That course is a bit challenging, even the first loop. I got some stories from that one... Sheesh. Loads of fun though, and priceless experience.

kim

Rescue 3
Reaction
District 37 for sure. If you're not sure of your skill in a desert race, do what I did and start in beginner. That way you get a feel for how the course is laid out, and what they expect of you, without too much pressure from competition. Be sure to pick a good bomb line :)

I recommend not being stupid like me and starting with the Vikings National. That course is a bit challenging, even the first loop. I got some stories from that one... Sheesh. Loads of fun though, and priceless experience.

Yea, I recommend never starting with a National. It's a national race for a reason....it's tougher than shiet.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
D-37 and try teaming up (or Ironman it) the Glen Helen Endurance races. 6 hr, 12 hr, and the 24 hr races.

Hayward Racing

Reaction
D37, USDR, & Alta Vista Events out in Cal City. D38 is fun but Plaster City is a trek from LA

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Almost all of the big name riders in desert racing race in D-37. Lots of races and good experience plus you have the added bonus of not having a trophy truck chasing you down.

BITD has some bike only races but I think that once you do a D-37 race you will be super happy racing with them. I don't ride but I spend a lot of time around some pretty serious bike guys and I have only heard good things about District 37!

PS. I slept at a holiday inn express last night.

racinteach

Reaction
District 37 is good, alta vista is good to get your feet wet..closer then lucerne or red mtn... usdr also runs a good series..but not been there yet. District 38 offers some more variety of courses.. Then you can go BITD and Score eventually..

Ride, workout, ride.... and ride some more...
a good gauge for your riding ability.. you come to a drop off and stop and look at it to find a way down =beginner
same drop off you brake check blip gas go off= Novice/int
same drop , no brake, wide open no hessitation= pro \m/

watch Desert hounds you'll see what I am talking about

AgentSmith

Reaction
Website
www.asracinginc.com
There's a USDR next weekend at Dirt Diggers up in Red Mountain. Great way to get your feet wet. They run shorter loops like the Euro Scrambles that occur in the D 37. 15-20 mile loops. $ 50 entry fee. You are welcome to pit with us...we run 450x's primarily, so we are set up for them.