Where do you recommend I begin racing bikes?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
D-38 is better Hahah ;)
But plaster city is a long drive for you :)

Better if you like hauling ass on flat and riding in sand.

Hit up some D37 Hare and Hounds...if you think youve got skills hit up the national hare and hounds. Hare and Hounds are the funnest races there are and real desert racing.

PS you may be humbled if you follow my advice above.

Wear protection. Prep your bike. No clubs like haulin out broken bikes or bodies.

No stalls, no falls....guaranteed a good finish. Best advice I was ever given for racing bikes.

ryno427

Reaction
Website
www.sponsorhouse.com
Well, to clarify, I'm not sure what skill classification I am. I'm not a total beginner, but I'm also not super fast. I can hold my own on most things from sandy whoops in Baja to single track in Gorman. Whatever classification that is. Sounds like D37 is a place to get a taste.

Start off small. There is no shame in signing up for the Beginner class. Remember you call always move up, you cant go back! From the sounds of it you are a mid pack NOVICE rider (correct me if im wrong) on the motocross track. Desert is a whole different animal. Get plenty of practice and learn how to read the terrain

JPBart

Reaction
I have met a lot of people who thought desert racing would be easy because they ride a couple times a week and can go pretty fast. They are usually the last guy to finish (or the first to quit) because it is TONS more challenging than you think. I think the major difference is when you play ride, you ride what looks fun. Racing, you ride what someone else thought would be fun.

I would suggest D-37 as a beginner. Guest pit with a club. (it is very easy to get hooked up with a club) The club will make sure you know what to do and where to be and will come get you if you break your bike. They will also help get your stuff home and take care of your family if you get a ride to the hospital. This is a long standing tradition because just about everyone will have one of those weekends eventually. They look after you and in return, you look after them.

You decide the level of gear you wear. I suggest lots of stuff for crashing, a few tools and a lot of water. You will go through more water racing than you thought possible. Don't try to prove how fast you are. The first challenge in front of you racing is the desert, not the other guys in your class. Have fun, learn the ropes THEN think about going faster.

Make sure you have good health insurance. If we get a call and find you laying on the ground you could end up with a helo ride that can cost $10-$15,000. Not a fun thing to think about. If you don't have good insurance, don't race. Come out, enjoy the desert with us, watch and play ride.

JCampbell

"1" time champ
Reaction
Go race SRA (southland racing assoc) Gran Prix at Glen Helen, ther once a month and very affordable ,they have all different classes, the races are 45 to 50 min long. My brother Johnny and I started our bike racing careers at SRA!!!!!!!!!!!! need i say more

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Go race SRA (southland racing assoc) Gran Prix at Glen Helen, ther once a month and very affordable ,they have all different classes, the races are 45 to 50 min long. My brother Johnny and I started our bike racing careers at SRA!!!!!!!!!!!! need i say more

I remember your team jerseys! SRA at Carlsbad was the best!!

JCampbell

"1" time champ
Reaction
I remember your team jerseys! SRA at Carlsbad was the best!!
Oh how I miss Carlsbad, Big Bro and I had some battles there,along with Dave Donatoni , Craig Adams and Randy Rodrigez