where to drive in socal

gil_caz

Reaction
Hey guys im kinda new to the whole off road scene.... ive rode dirtbikes for years but i recently got me a predator x-18.

i basically know about hodge road and outlet center drive.

any other places you guys could recommend to a guy trying to find fun terrain in my buggy?

(added pics cause i know if there's no photos it didnt happen)

Attachments

Reaction
Ocotillo, Plaster City, Glamis, nowhere in RivCo.

BGRANT

Reaction
If you go to any of these places at this time of year go very early (before sunrise) or late at night and bring a LOT of water. It's gonna be HOT!

gil_caz

Reaction
thanks guys for the responses... i have been getting out to barstow(hodge rd) around 8am, taking a run then cooling off for a few hours, then going out again for a short pass to slash x cafe, and back.

i think my next trip will be out to ocotillo, then ill be back to glamis one the season comes around again.

bomber

Reaction
You should try doing the trip from Ocotillo Wells to Superstition. Can't remember how many miles round trip, but it's a fun ride.

gil_caz

Reaction
You should try doing the trip from Ocotillo Wells to Superstition. Can't remember how many miles round trip, but it's a fun ride.
would anyone happen to have a google earth file of it? this sounds like a fun trip.

bomber

Reaction
would anyone happen to have a google earth file of it? this sounds like a fun trip.
I think I remember seeing one on either here or dezertrangers.com awhile ago. I unfortunately do not have one ready, but you can follow the train tracks from Plaster City heading north until the tracks veer NW and you stay on the pole line road that heads N. This will get you pretty far on Google Earth, but then you have to put the rest together yourself ;).

If someone has done it and has a better description help this guy out haha. It's been many years since I did the trip, but it was a lot of fun and can be done in all types and levels of off-road vehicles.

WORCS332

Reaction
ive done that trip twice. once on a bike cutting threw all kinds of terrain (mostly off trail) took 69 miles.. and in class 5 it took 125 miles.

bomber

Reaction
If I remember right our route took us about 50 miles. We had a couple stock quads in our group that made it from Sups to OW and back fine. I would definitely recommend routing and estimating the mileage before attempting this. There's nothing between the two areas until you get closer to OW, except Border Patrol distress towers where you can hit a button to call them over to you, but I'd only use that for an emergency.

swiftracing5

Reaction
Theres still lots of stuff behind Outlet Center along the hills and radio towers. GPS would be a good idea if you dont have one in the car now. Even if you dont have the trail, there should be landmarks etc on the map that will give you a little confidence.

diirk

Reaction
This time of year I'd recommend going to Pismo. Much cooler there!!!
Drop me a line if you decide to head out to Cal City, Dove Springs, Spangler, etc. We head out there for day trips and weekends.

And congrats on the X18. We really love ours!!!

BGRANT

Reaction
I would not recomend going to OW this time of year. You will more than likely be the only out ther except for the illegals out by the train tracks.
For future use, this is one of many ways to go out to the Superstitions from OW.
Take San felipe wash on the west side of the 78 until it crosses the pole line. The exit out of the wash changes every year. Go up to where the poles switch to the east side of the pole line (about 2 poles) and take the trail heading east. Go about 1.5 miles and take a right in the 1st wash. Take this wash like 5-6 miles until you come to the trestle.Get out of the wash and jump on that pole line and you can see the mtns. At the base there are many different trails. Stay on the pole line and you will run into the lake bed. From there you can head west to the town of Ocotillo (you will need additional maps for this)and gas up at the OTU store. Round trip is about 120 miles or so. Do it with a group and preferably with somebody that has done it before. It is a fun ride for both bikes and buggies, the washes are plenty wide. If it is busy, be careful for oncoming traffic in the washes. Oh, I miss that place!

Last edited:

gil_caz

Reaction
thanks everyone for the advice, bgrant i will take all that in to consideration when i decide on going out there.

diirk, do you have anything thing added on to your x-18? i was considering the roof rack with a spare and jack. i do have a bag of all the tools i need, hose clamps, zip ties, and an extra belt. i would like to know how others have there set up though.

diirk

Reaction
I'm just starting to add stuff. I did add some side view mirrors and a panoramic rearview mirror. I also just finished doing some graphics. I have a canister air filter (Donaldson) sitting on my counter waiting to be installed. A fuel cell is on order and I'll be running a Racepak digital display soon. Oh yeah, I'll be adding the required rear running lights soon too. Eamon will have a car out at the MORE 250 that is supposed to have a few new parts on it, including a new aluminum roof with integrated lights and a fuel cell. I was considering a roof rack, but am just going to add a light bar and a rear rack for tools and jack. Oh yeah, I also have a rear spare tire carrier and happened to powdercoat the beadlocks...

Attachments

gil_caz

Reaction
diirk, could you please take a picture of your rear rack that holds the jack for me? the only ones ive seen are on eamons website. which is alot better now.

also (dumb question) are you racing it? and did you get the score legal chassis?

diirk

Reaction
Gil,
Sorry it took so long for me to catch this...
I don't actually have a jack on the rack yet. I have no idea how the jack is mounted to the rack, yet. But I'll be looking into in a week or so. I'll be heading to Temecula to pick up some parts from Eamon. If I see what you're talking about, I'll snap a pic...probably after buying one...

And yes, we are racing it and it is the SCORE legal chassis. With that said, you can run your chassis in the M4SX short course series in Perris.

gil_caz

Reaction
I went down to Eamons shop and he said he's coming out with a new rear tire rack that had a place for the hi lift jack.

How have your belts been holding up?

diirk

Reaction
So far the belts have held up fine. I'm still on the first one. I've been running with and without the new cover, so I can't really say if it helps or not. Eventually I plan to get the RacePak digital dash with an IR Temp Sensor so I can monitor belt temp.