Where to get a mousse tube installed in San Diego area?

lakelaurashawn

Reaction
Title says it all - I called Fun Bike center, Escondido Cycle center and Cycle Gear - none of which wanted to install the tube.

Any tips for a local place?

Thanks,
Lake

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
ask Tim @ bajabound moto, he runs em. They are in escondido.

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
Reaction
call www.jpmotorsports.net
630 BAY BLVD, #106, CHULA VISTA - (619) 564-4935

they have helped me out alot
and they wont charge an arm and a leg

Last edited:

peezy

Reaction
motoworld of el cajon?

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Why not run the Tubliss system? To me Mousse's seem old, out dated, and expensive.

Tipracer

Reaction
bibs were designed for the rear.....but when you run em on a 650 they tend to fall apart....450s work very well with bibs and props to C&D for doing the installation...I know for a fact that they are a PITA...You really should have another person help you install them...Tim has lots of experience with them as well as Baja Seve...look them up PM them and the will give you a no BS answer to anything mousse related.

Baja_Seve

Reaction
bibs were designed for the rear.....but when you run em on a 650 they tend to fall apart....450s work very well with bibs and props to C&D for doing the installation...I know for a fact that they are a PITA...You really should have another person help you install them...Tim has lots of experience with them as well as Baja Seve...look them up PM them and the will give you a no BS answer to anything mousse related.
Call Steve Grieb at C&D. He not only mounts them, but races them himself.

LOL, Nick! You remember those bib mounting parties at Joe's shop!

Lots of myth about rear bibs. Perpetuated by Honda's experience with them on the XR650 (before the Rally Logger/IRC era of 60 mph pavement restrictions) and KTM's high torque experience with the 690.

In fact, rear bibs work just fine. When we started racing 2 XR650's in Class 22 in 2006, I consulted with Bruce Ogilvie and Michelin engineers on how far we could go on a rear bib on a 650. The answer: It depends. The 60 mph pavement limit was a HUGE factor, dispelling many past performances. The terrain and temperature also contributed. We ran bib mousse rears in both 650's for 3 years with NO problems with proper planning. In the 2007 Baja 1000 run to Cabo, it was a waste to run a bib on the Catavina and BOLA highway sections. We ran a ultra HD tube for that stretch. No problem for the Vizcaino highway section, it was night and cold. Rear bibs for the rest.

We have run rear bibs in both a Beta RR450 and CRF450X in this year's Score series. No problems. In last month's Vegas to Reno, we ran a rear bib in a CRF and a HD in a XR 650. The terrain demanded it. No problems with either. Front bibs all around with no problems.

The mousse enemy is heat. Built up on pavement sections or long, gravel roads at high speed. Mitigated by lots of lube and use of the rimlock. The Michelin mousse lube included is about half of what you need - buy a bucket of mousse lube from Zip-Ty. The rimlock prevents the mousse from rotating inside the tire when heat builds up.

You MUST use a rigid sidewall tire to support the bib mousse. That's why Michelin recommends a Michelin tire. You can easily use a ED78 or Maxxis, or other brands, but don't blame the mousse if you try and use a crappy sidewall tire.

Is it worth it? We won a Baja 500 and a Baja 1000 with a sheet metal screw and a rusty nail firmly embedded in the mousse. Sure flats if running tubes. Flats suck. One less thing to worry about.

After a race, we put the spent race bibs and tires on our personal bikes, and get another 1000-1500 miles out of them. We purposely run them till they're spent.

What are the limits of racing with bibs? I ain't gonna tell ya that.

Our guys are pretty darn good at bib mounting. PM me if the other sources don't work out.