Where to get raw round bar stock polyurethane. . .

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Anybody know where to buy raw polyurethane. . .the kind used for suspension bushings???

I need to make some off size bushings and I didn't see it at Enco, McMaster-Carr, MSC, etc.

Thanks!!!

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
you can make you own , you make a mold and mix the ingredients and pour the stuff into the mold .

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Let's see. . .I need them for body mounts. . .I think I need at least 8, they are for 1/2" bolts and the OD is 3". . .that's off the top of my head, I have delrin pucks in place right now, but I think poly might be the better way to go. I think the delrin is too hard for this application.

scottm

Reaction
Website
www.cemaz.com
Are you planning to machine the poly? It doesnt work. Like mentioned above, you will have to cast it to your shape.

mpower

Reaction
ive had good luck with getting bushings and turning them down a little bit to fit custom things.but i really cant see machining bushings from poly stock , its pretty difficult to get good cuts and finishes.a harder durometer poly is also probably going to be easier to machine , at that point delrin looks like a better choice .
all i found in mmc was some polyurethane round bar that was beige in color i believe with a 82d rating, its in the rubber section of raw materials.
energy suspension sells some universal body mounts that are pretty damn close in size that you are looking for too, ive used them in many applications and they have been pretty durable with the proper design. suspension restoration company has a lot of the energy product line in stock and probably the best dealer to deal with.
like stated previously ,theres also the option of machining your own molds and pouring your own bushings( with your talent this should be no problem for you). i used to do it for prototype stuff when i worked at VF engineering. then the finalized dimensions ,drawings and specs were sent off to energy for production.ill have to go through my pics and see if i can find the parts i made. pretty simple and we ordered the poly from mmc too.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
If you use care in holding the part and creativity with bit grinding, polyurethane is machinable. Heavy cuts can be cut with other means first. Lots of factory made bushings and mount pads are cast but have one or more faces machined to final size, very often the end the material was poured from.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Thanks guys. . .I would be very interested in seeing those pic's of the parts you made mpower.

. . .as far as casting goes. . .that's something I've been wanting to start dabbling in anyway, and poly would probably be a good, cheap way to get started. . .you guys think just melting the raw material, pouring, and cooling would work? I don't know much about this stuff so I don't know if melting it would affect it's properties/durometer rating or anything like that.

Thanks again!

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Funny that the casting thing would come up today. . .just got a MicroMark catalog in the mail that has a bunch of casting stuff in it. . .cool!

mpower

Reaction
as far as i know , you have to get the 2 part poly mix . ive never seen poly melt . we had a turbo packaged too close to a poly motormount one time , the thing charred and swelled up to about twice its size! theres cheaper places to find the stuff than mmc if you look around. mmc is just so nice when you have an an account and can be delivered same day. different polys will have different shrinkage's too, so you kinda gotta design the part around different manufacturers and durometers.

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
Thanks guys. . .I would be very interested in seeing those pic's of the parts you made mpower.

. . .as far as casting goes. . .that's something I've been wanting to start dabbling in anyway, and poly would probably be a good, cheap way to get started. . .you guys think just melting the raw material, pouring, and cooling would work? I don't know much about this stuff so I don't know if melting it would affect it's properties/durometer rating or anything like that.

from what i have seen it,s a two part ingredient that you mix together there is a reaction between the two and there,s a time frame where the stuff is in a liquid state , you pour it into the mold and let it cure . repeat as needed , one of my buddies makes poly spring pocket inserts for his a-arms using the method .