Where to get Skid plate foam?

trentk

It probably isn't best to ask a bunch of desert dwellers like myself where to get skidplate foam but here goes. I have a big race this weekend and we are scheduled to get the remnants of the hurricane coming through with lots of rain. last year this race was very muddy too and it took out my engine, transmission and bearing carrier. I can't afford another repeat so i am trying to mud proof my quad.

I want to pack the skiplate with foam and I see that moose carries it but I am not sure it would get here in time. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? Is it special foam or just standard shipping foam? $12 for a slab of foam seems steep.

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog....level3=1795&product_group_id=7540&startPage=1

Thanks!
Trent

Vtr_Racing

Contact Eric Pealstrom at AC Racing......
techsupport@acracing.com

Oh, I see you need foam!!!!! You may want to try that spray foam for your skidplate......Ive seen it done out here in the mud races. The kind you seal holes in your walls IE electric socktes /weatherproofing

sjb7272

Good thing is the weather is calling for just monsoon not tropical moisture so it may be less rain then expected, but those that have raced snowflake in the past know. By the way good luck

Last edited:

trentk

home depot didn't have any, hobby lobby didn't either, I checked with an upholstery shop and they only had closed cell foam. I am going to a foam manufacturer today to see if they have it.

Harpo

Let me know the final outcome!

trentk

I found some stuff from southwest foam in phoenix. it is close to the same stuff that moose sells. It is standard foam color though. It was $4.40 for a 12x12x2" chunk. and $2.20 for 1" thick

trentk

So how did you do???? Looks like the track was just as bad as last year.
The track was actually as good as it will ever be for the first 2 laps. The clay was so tacky and sticky we were laying down blue groove in many spots. It started raining on half the track around lap 3 which made some of it slick and muddy.

I won the sr pro class and placed 2nd overall. I posted the full story on my website.

Thanks,
Trent

trentk

jeff hancock in open pro. He is already out of the hospital, no serious injuries from what I was told.

randy s

x2 on mcmaster-carr....for almost anything on the planet.

RacerX1

The track was actually as good as it will ever be for the first 2 laps. The clay was so tacky and sticky we were laying down blue groove in many spots. It started raining on half the track around lap 3 which made some of it slick and muddy.

I won the sr pro class and placed 2nd overall. I posted the full story on my website.

Thanks,
Trent
Wow Trent ~ Great job!! I'm glad they ran the course backwards. Did you see the back-sides of those cattle guard crossings? Yikes! I'm glad we were on THIS side. LOL

I got so upset after seeing Jeff's quad sitting there and everyone standing around it (I had no idea he was on the ground). Then on Lap 2, after seeing the Helicopter, I got really choked up for a minute thinking something awful happened. We spoke to Jeff on Tuesday and they had just released him from the hospital. He says he was trying to make a pass and that person wouldn't move over and they ended up colliding and they were tapped wide open. He was going in and out of unconciousness and that's why they took him. He's a very lucky guy.

Anyway, my husband and I had a great time racing. But those long lines at sign-ups really STINK! I've never seen anything like that in any racing series anywhere. 3 hours waiting ~ YOWZA!

My hubby and his partner took 6th out of 28 Pro UTV's.
Here's a couple pics of our machines after the races ~

Attachments