where to mount a char lynn

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I've been researching how and where to mount a charlynn and everything I've read says either on the rack or at the steering wheel. I'm puting this on a VW Thing and if I put at either of those locations the steering shaft angles get very sharp.

Can a charlynn be mounted in the angled piece of the steering? So I would go rack/u-joint, angled steering shaft with charlynn mounted in the middle then j-joint/steering.

How does a charlynn handle heat? If I mount it as discribed above, it would be right below the radiator. I could put a sheild above it but it still would be getting hot air blown on/around it.

What is the max angle of a u-joint (sweet type)?

Goatpoker

Reaction
One thing to think about is that putting the u-joints after the Charlynn will cause them to see all the load generated by the rack/Charlynn system.

The seals in the Charlynn are rated to at least 93C (200F), so the excess radiator heat is no problem. The hydraulic fluid will get hotter than the radiator air.

Jeff

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
One thing to think about is that putting the u-joints after the Charlynn will cause them to see all the load generated by the rack/Charlynn system.

The seals in the Charlynn are rated to at least 93C (200F), so the excess radiator heat is no problem. The hydraulic fluid will get hotter than the radiator air.

Jeff
Do you think it would be better to go (starting at the beam) Rack - coupler (no u-joint) charlynn/u-joint, steering shaft(angled), u-joint/steering wheel? Or should a u-joint be used instead of a coupler on the rack/charlynn connection?

Haycock

Reaction
Do you think it would be better to go (starting at the beam) Rack - coupler (no u-joint) charlynn/u-joint, steering shaft(angled), u-joint/steering wheel? Or should a u-joint be used instead of a coupler on the rack/charlynn connection?
yes. if you can mount inline with the rack use a coupler.

Perfect Race

Reaction
I have mounted mine right behind the rack with no problems. My race car has it still mounted at the dash and driving through the joints and shaft to the box, never had a problem either. It does add wear to the joints driving through them though. If you plan on driving this on the street along with big suspension and shocks it will tend to hunt and need constant correction to go straight. Not a big deal I drove my baja for years like this but definitely not like a normal street car. I am putting one on my new project as well that will be on the street some.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I have mounted mine right behind the rack with no problems. My race car has it still mounted at the dash and driving through the joints and shaft to the box, never had a problem either. It does add wear to the joints driving through them though. If you plan on driving this on the street along with big suspension and shocks it will tend to hunt and need constant correction to go straight. Not a big deal I drove my baja for years like this but definitely not like a normal street car. I am putting one on my new project as well that will be on the street some.
Thanks, as of now I'm planning on putting it right on the rack. I am a little worried about the street. It will mainly see the street in the summer. In the summer, I was thinking about changing the belt to not run the PS pump. Then it would be harder to steer but shouldn't wander (as much).