Where to mount Fuel Pump??

Timberwlf

Reaction
well ive been puttin a 5.0 HO in my ranger ( carbed motor should pull about 250hp) and im now working on the fuel system that consists of a jaz 22gal fuel cell and a holly external fuel pump. now heres the question ...should I put the fuel pump in the back by the cell and have it push the fuel from rear to front or should i put the pump in the engine bay and have it pull all the way from the cell to the front??

Thanks
Brandon
avprerunners.com (under SERIOUS construction)

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 4.0L Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck/ Future 7 Unlimited Race Truck

gary

Reaction
i have minimal experience with this, but here's what i learned from doing my own cell...pump should be close to cell, so as to push fuel along, rather than have to pull it...most electric fuel pumps are pushers, unless they say otherwise.... it's also helpful to mount the pump about level with the center of the cell, so as to avoid any flow angle issues...if you're using a regulator, it goes under the hood....
hope this helped...all info was obtained from this forum here, or from asking around at the local performance store....

good luck

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Put it back by the cell in the frame rail. Pumps are made to push rather then pull, although they can pull it is better to have them push.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.animalhousedesigns.net>Animal House</A>

Timberwlf

Reaction
Thanks for the info guys. by the cell it is =)

Brandon

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 4.0L Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck/ Future 7 Unlimited Race Truck

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
We had several fuel pump failures on past race cars. I was told that it was due to the pump being mounted below the fuel level and that mounting them above helps to preserve the seals when not in use. The new truck has them mounted above the cell, hopefully there will be no problems.

scott

Reaction
My buddy is running a...... believe it or not a Honda fuel pump for his Ranger 4.0... Its located on the frame-rail just past the cab.... He says its the most reliable part on his truck...

toyoter91

Reaction
lol see hondas toyotas all imports are reliable but damn have you ever worked on one. its a PITA. and parts are more expensive. nothing beats old school v8 engines lol a monkey could get one to run good and make tons of power. laters

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"

ntsqd

Reaction
Definitely near the tank. Usually you want a little pressure head on an electric pump as they don't tend to self prime very well (which is why you don't want them far from the tank/cell). The failures noted above are the first I've heard of such a thing. Cheap Pumps ? Oxidizer like PPO in the fuel ? All of the Drag Cars I've plumbed have the pump below the sump of the fuel cell. Never had a problem with one of them, and they obviously sit for long periods of time with fuel in them.

Power it with at least 12ga. wire, elelctric motors don't take kindly to voltage drop. I use the low oil pressure electric fuel pump kill switch found on Chevy Vega's (I buy them from Trak, Kragen, etc.) for safety. There are three terminals on the switch; batt+, fuel pump, & start by-pass. I wire batt+ thru a fuse directly to the battery, the fuel pump terminal to either the pump or the pump relay, and the by-pass terminal to the starter's or starter relay's 'I' terminal. Simple and reliable, if you have oil pressure or are cranking the engine, you have a fuel pump. Loose oil pressure and the pump quits. Used to measure the oil condition on my boss's Sub by how long the pump ran after he shut it off. :)

Holley pumps are noisey and they translate it thru the frame. If you care, some of that can be elim'd by mounting them with the rubber isolators used by GM to mount their AC condensors to the radiator core support.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
"mounting them above helps to preserve the seals "

For some of these trucks to accomplish that, they would have to be mounted on the bed rail. I think that comment pertains more to cars then desert trucks. If the pump fails from having gas sitting in it, I don't think I would want to rely on that pump regardless.

Kris

"A signature always reveals a man's character -- and sometimes even his name. "

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Brandon,

Like some have mentioned above, be sure to mount it below the P/U line in the cell, and not too far from the cell.

Mine is mounted inside the frame rail, well insulated to cut down on the noise, just ahead of the rear end. I've got a 5.0 EFI, and have had zero problems with it. Also, make sure to mount your fuel filter between your cell and pump, and that its large enough to allow proper flow under load. Just an in-line will work fine, and make sure you can get to it easily in case you have to.

-Gabe

geoff

Reaction
ive got tons of them if you need any. it can put down 300 at the wheels as long as the rail pressure doesnt exceed 40 psi. they can not flow at any higher pressures, however

Mathmatics is the language of nature.