Where to race?

TxPhPrerunner

Reaction
I am building a 77 F150. I live in Texas, but my wife has family in California. 29 Palms and Lake Arrow Head to be exact. When finished I hope to bring my truck out there and play and maybe even race. What classes could I race a full size in. It will be street legal, but highly modified. I'll buy the rule book for sanctioning body of the best suggestion for my truck. I will get a SCORE rule book also but I'm worried that SCORE my truck my en` up being a TT(I think my plans will knock me out of class 8). Is MDR 1450 a possibility? I'm not saying I'm going to race this truck, I just want to know the rules so I have that chance if I want it. The only way to do that is to know the rules.
Another way I could phrase this question is if you were building a street legal full size and you wanted to race it as well, what series/class would you build it for and why?

I don't live on the edge. I fell over long ago.

desertracer

Reaction
I would go with MDR 1450, can't beat the price of entry ($200 I think) and the level of competition in that class. It sounds like you are building a pretty unique truck that may not fit into another class such as stock full or 8. There are many 1450 racers here on the board and I am sure they would let you know for sure about racing 1450. Good luck.

MDR Class 1

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
you could try racing the Code circuit in Mexicali, mexico, also has 200 bucks entry fee and theres a class for sportsman class 8 and 7 called class 18, your car would definetely enter that class, with 100+cars per race.
theres a race every 2 months, 3 of which are in Mexicali, one in San Felipe, one mexicali to dan felipe and one in tecate

good luck

el tiburon

"if something can go wrong, it'll probably will"
pinche murphy

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Are you chopping off the framerails at all? If not you can race class 8. BITD has a huge contingency payout for anybody racing a Ford truck or SUV. Infact, I read on G-Desert earlier today that Ford just signed another long contract with BITD to continue support for Ford research and development. Very cool I think. I am not a Ford fan, but it makes me want to race a Ford because of that payout and sponsorship that Ford puts out for Best In The Desert.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

TxPhPrerunner

Reaction
That is my biggest dilemma. My truck is a Super Cab long bed. Way to long. I want to run a short bed. I have two choices: Cut the frame rails(no big deal since I will be running a 4 link and glass) or buy a short bed Super cab or long bed reg cab frame. That is why I have to pick a series & class and build from there. Also why MDR 1450 sounds good. The truck is going to be mostly for play but I don't want to lock myself out of racing all together.

martininsocal

Reaction
Not only the class(1450) but the location. Lucerne and Barstow are withing rock throwing distance from Arrowhead, and after cooking your brain during a summer race at either location, you can escape up into the mountains to recover(by a lake I might add!) Even Palm Desert/Desert Hot Springs is close. Good luck with teh project, sounds like you may start a new trend in Texas!

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

desertracer

Reaction
From what it sounds like you want to do, 1450 would be best. If you race score or bitd it gets a lot more serious and the level of competition goes up along with the entry fee. Also 1450 gives you pretty much free choice as to what you want to do with your truck. These races are also shorter loop races so support might no be quite as difficult if you are coming from Tx. Also check out MORE, they also race out in the Barstow/ lucerne area. Don't know too much about Fud but I know they are kinda like the Mdr of san diego area and have races out in plaster city. Not sure if they have a pre-runner class or something similar. Any ideas as to when you might start racing?

MDR Class 1

TxPhPrerunner

Reaction
It should be about a year from now. It will take me at least that long to get my truck together and sorted out. After that I hope to find some people out there to do some practice/testing with. If my truck measures up then I'll race. One big reason I want to race is to help bring this sport to my part of the country. There are places that would be perfect to play or hold races at within 100 miles in any direction from my house. I know that if I come home with pictures from the races other people arond here will think they can do it too. I know that this is an ambitious idea but that is what I'm shooting for.

AZmiik

Reaction
When I was stationed in El Paso there was a shop called 4 wheel something. They raced down in Mexico below Jarez. You might want to look in to that as its a lot closer.

Mike

IRONGOOK

Reaction
MDR class 1450 might be the best for what you want to do. But you might think about sportsmen truck in SCORE unless you are in it for points or prize money.