Where to start?

BLeBlanc

Reaction
Hello all,

I have been following off-road racing through the tv/ internet for a couple years now, but am wanting to get more involved and would like to get into the scene more. Does anyone have some good advice for a 23yr old in Michigan? I have seen that a lot of people volunteer for races, but I cannot seem to find any near me.

Thanks for any advice!

yamaducci

Reaction
You have the same problem I had living in Maryland. You have one option that is a little better though since it's closer to you. Limited and Pro-Buggy in Wisconsin! Those are stadium courses but if you really want desert you are going to have to travel. You can volunteer to be a Pit/Track Person, fly out and start talking to people and offer to chase with them, Put up a classified Ad offering help or your skills and finally deciding what class and who you think would be a good fit and just emailing them.

Soupy

Reaction
I've been volunteering for 5 years. Grew up in Minnesota, lived in Wisconsin, Oregon. Not exactly hot beds of off road racing. Thank goodness for airline flights to Las Vegas and Rental cars. I'll be at King of the Hammers. $100 plane ticket and $200 rental car. I'll be at the Mint 400 - another $125 plane ticket. Volunteering gets you the best seat in the house. If you are willing to do a little work, the race organizations see it, appreciate it and reward you for it. If you want to give it a look, PM me and I'll give you some help getting there.

BLeBlanc

Reaction
Thanks for the advice, all, I appreciate it! Rentals and traveling can be expensive due to my age, but it would definitely be a cool experience. PM sent

Soupy

Reaction
Ah, yes... forgot about the 25 or older thing. I can say, you are doing the right thing by just putting it out there that you are willing to help. If you keep your options open, there might be a team who is willing to pick you up at the airport. It's a gamble though. I got into all this by sitting at a campfire one night and another person at the campfire said they had a Race in Reno next weekend. A 14 hour drive. I had one week to get my own helmet. I drove an hour, picked up my firesuit that had been left at the end of a driveway for me to pick up. Drove to Reno on Friday, "camped" in the back of my truck. Saturday morning we were racing. Turns out the guy I co-dogged for was the guy to beat in our class. We won our class.

Now, the dessert is my mistress, the dust is my addiction.

It's a slow climb, be humble, work hard, stay reliable and it'll happen.