which 2wd trans for 5VZFE toyota motor?

geoff

RDC Crypto
I am putting a 5vz in my prerunner, and want to know what you guys recommend as far as trans goes?

I was first debating, auto or manual.

How durable is the stock auto trans? What is wiring like on it? Does the trans need the ecu or can it work by itself? Any idea what the older 2wd v6 toyotas used for a trans?

Also what do you know about the R154 toyota supra turbo trans (the one that came with the 7mGTE, not the 2jz)

thanks

Last edited:

Gearhead2185

RDC Crypto
The A340 auto trans is a pretty stout transmission. They were used in all 4x4 and 2wd V6 applications. The only problem is that they are electronic and rely on a computer for proper operation. Import Performance Transmissions has alot of good upgrade parts including valve bodies and torque converters for that transmission. They might even make a stand alone computer for that transmission also. It is important to keep an auto trans cool, so a good cooler is going to be needed.
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/

As for the manuals, the R150 is really the only choice for a V6 application since it has the correct bellhousing bolt pattern. Plus it would make for alot less wiring. They were used in all 4x4 Toyotas from 88-04 and it is plenty strong. I think thats what Dan Vance ran in Tortuga with the superchared V6 if your questioning strength. I'm pretty sure that the R154 only has a bolt pattern for the inline series of engines ie 22R, 22RE, 7MGE, 7MGTE.

You can always PM "WFODAN" or "ESB4130" since they are the resident experts on this type of Toyota info.