• Forum membership has its advantages....

Which Floater Hubs Would You Buy?

Dirt Yota

So Like the title states, Which floater hubs would you buy for a 9 inch if you have a 2,000 budget lets say. Does not need to iunclude brakes/rotors. Just the Hubs/Drive Plates/Flanges/Bearings?

Trying to get everyones input before I take the leep into the full floater world!\m/

D. Freeman

your best bang for the buck hubs are gonna be Mittler bros or Dirt tech. What pattern are you gonna run?

SpeedBump

your best bang for the buck hubs are gonna be Mittler bros or Dirt tech. What pattern are you gonna run?
The Mittler Bros bearing spacing is 1/2". This is good for circle track but does not work with 37" tires and a 5000lbs truck.
Even when properly installed, the axle nut will strip the snout threads. We ended up welding on the axle nuts. This worked good when racing but made pre-race bearing prep a challenge.

Off-road hubs have a wider bearing spacing.

mfs

The Mittler Bros bearing spacing is 1/2". This is good for circle track but does not work with 37" tires and a 5000lbs truck.
Even when properly installed, the axle nut will strip the snout threads. We ended up welding on the axle nuts. This worked good when racing but made pre-race bearing prep a challenge.

Off-road hubs have a wider bearing spacing.
You can get heat treated snouts. From cone or other places. For a little more. The snouts that MB sells are not heat treated. Also you can add spacers in between the wheel bearings so you can titen the nut down.

12LaPaz

What are you building ?? how much do you expect it to weigh ?? What tire wheel combo will you run ?? What size axels do you want ?? What bolt pattern do you want ??

Robert Mason

Pro-am, Bms, Dirt-tech are all quality hubs that are within that price range. Just shop around to see where you can get the best deal. Pro-am private labels the Dirt-tech hubs.

Dirt Yota

Pro-am Makes Dirt-Techs hubs. Truck should weigh somewhere in the 4k range when its all set and done. Running a 35 inch tire. 5x5.5 lug pattern, 40 spline axles.

The Pro-am's, and BMS seem to be around the same price.

So Mitler does not offer anything for serioue offroad stuff?

Jerry Zaiden

Our billet rear hub kits include Hubs, bearings, seals, hub centric center caps, lug nuts, 5/8" wheel studs, and hardware. $1395.00 or with a complete 4 piston Wilwood brake kit $1995.00

They come in 5 on 5.5, 6 on 5.5, and 6 on 6.5" bolt patterns.

Same hubs that Heidi Steele runs on the class 6 truck and has won championships in SCORE and BITD.

Jerry Zaiden

A few other trucks running the hubs that all won races and or Championships last year in 2011.

kyle LeDuc also ran them on his Pro-lite last year.

Attachments

-GMR-

With rear Floater hubs you need to keep a few things in mind,

-bearing spread
-bearing size
-available axle sizes that safely fit in snout
-materials used
-bearing location relative to WMS

Do not be fooled, there are hubs out there that are being compared to the BMS 2.5 inch units when they should not. The bottom line is stay away from 2.25 bearing hubs and small bearing spreads. Another thing to take note is that TRUE bearing spread is measured between the bearings, the inside edge, NOT the outside - outside bearing measurement. You want it to be roughly 1.5 inches, NO LESS for offroad. Even our pro-touring full floater hubs have 1.5 inches of TRUE bearing spread.

I may not be brilliant but it is safe to say I know more about hubs / floaters then just about anyone in the industry. Currently we are gearing up to build complete TI rear end housings and hubs setups... but for pro-touring cars... sorry offroad! I have spent the past 4-5 years doing massive research in regards to hubs and drive-line components. The bottom line, for the dollar you simply CANT beat the BMS products.... oh and they are 100+ MPH TT race crash tested... then race winning!
jason

Jerry Zaiden

Jerry, do you sell a 7075 2.5" snout rear hub? If so what is the cost minus brakes? Hubs look nice.
Yes they are all drawn up and about to hit the machines in a few weeks. I will post CAD pictures tomorrow. They are all the same dimensions as the TT hubs but will be offered in 5 on 5.5, 6 on 5.5, and 6 on 6.5 bolt circles. They will retail for $1595.00 and $1695 for 6 on 6.5".

And thank you!

Jerry Zaiden

We have great dealer/builder pricing, let me know if we can help you out!