• Forum membership has its advantages....

Which Floater Hubs Would You Buy?

-GMR-

Here is a picture of what I'm referring to as the bearing spread. Notice the black section (I will get to that in a second) between the bearings. That is about 1.5 inches in length and machined out of 4130 for a slip fit over the snout.

If you don't have a proper designed sleeve(black section)between the bearings then problems will arise, let along not running one. The sleeve must be designed to a specific torque spec relative to the operating temperature of the hub body itself. This will account for the difference in expansion rates of the Alum hub body and the steel based components. Also note the full spline engagement of the lock nut on the snout.

Jerry Zaiden

All high end offroad companies in this industry include a "Crush Sleeve" With their hub kits. This is nothing new and a standard practice. It is the roundy round guys that offer it as an option.

Here is our new 2.5" "WIDE SPREAD" hub set up. This has a 1.750" bearing spread just like our Trophy Truck hubs. These are offered in 5 on 5.5", 6 on 5.5", and 6 on 6.5" bolt circles. And like all our other hub kits they include "Crush Sleeves".

Attachments

-GMR-

All high end offroad companies in this industry include a "Crush Sleeve" With their hub kits. This is nothing new and a standard practice. It is the roundy round guys that offer it as an option.

Here is our new 2.5" "WIDE SPREAD" hub set up. This has a 1.750" bearing spread just like our Trophy Truck hubs. These are offered in 5 on 5.5", 6 on 5.5", and 6 on 6.5" bolt circles. And like all our other hub kits they include "Crush Sleeves".
sure hope your not using a "crush sleeve" ... I prefer a sleeve, one that does not have any "crush" to it...

12LaPaz

sure hope your not using a "crush sleeve" ... I prefer a sleeve, one that does not have any "crush" to it...
We understand what he means by "crush sleeve" It might not be the "proper" terminology
but I am sure you didnt need to try to correct him about it.

Jerry Zaiden

The know it all at GMR just has a bone to pick with us. If you have been around you would understand.

Just read his posts. He will tell you how great he is yet has has done NOTHING in this industry. But he is the best and knows more than everyone. LMAO

Jerry Zaiden

By the way for the last 20 years I have been in this industry these have been referred to as crush sleeves as they take the crush and the bearings dont.

Jerry Zaiden

Just had a little fun doing a search in google. Search "crush sleeve floater rear end" search images and what did I find??? Well smarty pants Jason from GMR posted this

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?81164-NEW-GMR-Pro-Touring-Rear-Floater-Hubs&p=820350#post820350

Go to post 6 and read what he posted him self... "bearing spread"

"The other often over looked element is the use of a precision machined crush sleeve. As you can see in the picture above there is a dark section of material between the bearings. This is a precision machined Chromoly sleeve that holds the bearing separation perfectly in line with the outer bearing races in the hub. This achieves three major things."

jajaja Jason keep digging. Lol

Zambo

Okay let's all take a deep breath.....ahhhhhh! You all know how much I hate internet fights.:p

I don't think I have those sleeves on my rear end. What exactly do they do again? Keep you from tightening the bearings too much? Allow you to put a lot of torque on the nut without crushing the bearings? If that is the case I'd assume it would be an anti-crush sleeve, but probably used the same way that people say sway bar instead of anti-sway bar.

Mark Newhan

Zambo,

The not only set the preload on the roller bearings but they "fix" the inner races so that they don't walk around on the snout.

You need them for part life and to prevent premature failure.

Mark

TRXSonoma

How come my front BMS and rear Cone hubs don't have these crush sleeves?

-GMR-

crush sleeve comment was a joke, if you really follow you will notice i utilized the same wording that jerry used when bashing someone else about a similar product.... so jokes on you man!

Last edited:

-GMR-

Just had a little fun doing a search in google. Search "crush sleeve floater rear end" search images and what did I find??? Well smarty pants Jason from GMR posted this

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?81164-NEW-GMR-Pro-Touring-Rear-Floater-Hubs&p=820350#post820350

Go to post 6 and read what he posted him self... "bearing spread"

"The other often over looked element is the use of a precision machined crush sleeve. As you can see in the picture above there is a dark section of material between the bearings. This is a precision machined Chromoly sleeve that holds the bearing separation perfectly in line with the outer bearing races in the hub. This achieves three major things."

jajaja Jason keep digging. Lol
I'm flattered that you waste time on me, just for reference I don't search for **
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!** on you... I have far better things to do. Please keep being awsome, its awsome that your so awsome!

TRXSonoma

Both Nate at BMS and Sandy use crush sleeves...
Hmmm, the Cone sleeves I could see being gone because I bought them used. But I bought the front hubs brand new from BMS and there is definitely no sleeve in there.

Jerry Zaiden

crush sleeve comment was a joke, if you really follow you will notice i utilized the same wording that jerry used when bashing someone else about a similar product.... so jokes on you man!
Nice try to save face...