Which length springs..

geoff

Reaction
I got a set of springs on recommendation from Kartek for my 16" SAWs, the lwoer is an 18" and the upper a 14". We just put the truck together, and the rear is about 6 feet in the air, so its completely stinkbug, to an extreme. What length should be used, and anyone wanna trade <im now broke>

thanks

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

Dylan

Reaction
its not just length but spring rate also that needs to be spec'd out.

you can have a long soft spring that will settle to the correct ride height when loaded

geoff

Reaction
the lower links are 55" from the center of the heim to the center of the bushing, the shock is mounted exactly 26" from the rear heim, so almost center but not quite. The spring rates are 400 and 450.

thanks dylan, i saw some of your other posts so i guess you know what youre talkin about =)

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Geoff,

Where's the pics of the 4-Link? Especially interested in the mounts on the housing and the frame as well as the entire package.

It's never too late to be what you might have been....

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Did you get the recommendation of springs from Mike A?

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

geoff

Reaction
not sure who the recommendation came from, but i think its pretty wrong... =(

geoff

Reaction
illl get the pics tonite. once i bring the rear down, it looks really good at ride height (not the current ride height)

singlehanded

Reaction
Usually you can swap the spring back at the place you bought them if there arent driven on.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

redline

Reaction
call Lee Finke at race shock. he could help you figure out the rate you need and there is a chance he might have them at his shop.602-493-3700

DANKFAB

Reaction
my 4 link has 58 inch trailing arms with shocks mounted 22 inches from the heim and I also have a 400/450 spring rate on 2.5x12 inch Kings. I cannot begin to tell you how well it rides(spongy and soft). I wonder if the valving is different, or maybe the difference in lengths of our shocks makes the ride better/worse?? by the way it's on a short cab/short bed S10.
Brandon

"Carpe Diem" Sieze The Day!

Dylan

Reaction
Your motion ratio is 0.278

A 400 over a 450 equals 212lb/in

This combination will give you a wheel rate of 59 lb/in

To get an approximate rear weight try this
With the suspension fully extended (wheels hanging), just snug the coil nut but don’t preload the spring any
Measure the wheel position relative to the frame( ie: axle tube to frame)
Lower the truck and re-measure to see how much the suspension moved under the weight of the vehicle
Take the difference(suspension movement) times 59…this is your corner weight…times 2 is your rear end weight

Important!
Is the front end sitting on the wheels or at least a jack stand that is really close to front axle position?
Do you have the gas tank and spare tires in the truck?
Is the bed or rear cage on?

Let me know what you find out

geoff

Reaction
thanks dylan, ill measure that stuff and try your technique out tomorrow, its a really good idea.

the front is on wheels, the bed cage is mostly done, the gas tank is not in, but its a 32 gal tank and i have one of my 185lb friends simulate a full tank of gas =)

what kind of wheel rates are you generally shooting for?