Which Lowrance? hds-5 vs elite 5m

JRally

RDC Crypto
Website
www.evorally.com
So I need to replace the GPS in our race car. Previously we had a Globalmap 480 in there, which honestly worked fine, but we lost the screen in the wash at the Baja 1000 this year.

I'm looking at the Elite 5M and the HDS-5 as replacements. Cost seems to be about the same, but I'm wondering if one suits desert racing better than the other. I already have the Elite 5M in the pre-runner, and it does work nicely as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Input?

Zambo

RDC Crypto
There is a whole thread in the shop electrical section about the Elite 5m.

JRally

RDC Crypto
Website
www.evorally.com
Woops, guess I've only ever looked at the Desert Racing section

sweetdevil

RDC Crypto
Website
www.pciraceradios.com
So I need to replace the GPS in our race car. Previously we had a Globalmap 480 in there, which honestly worked fine, but we lost the screen in the wash at the Baja 1000 this year.

I'm looking at the Elite 5M and the HDS-5 as replacements. Cost seems to be about the same, but I'm wondering if one suits desert racing better than the other. I already have the Elite 5M in the pre-runner, and it does work nicely as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Input?

Costs are not the same either BTW... The Elite price comes with an external antenna, the HDS is internal ONLY. Adding on an external antenna is another $300. The HDS does have a $50 mail in rebate right now, but the new Generation 2 coming out is $599.95.

The Elite doesn't have an exit button, which can be pretty annoying. Take a micrso SD card, limited icons and doesn't currently have a trip calculator. (only in the beta version, but is promised to be released Jan 1 now)

When is your next race? The Gen2 may be really cool, will post updates when we get one.

Zambo

RDC Crypto
Speaking of which, did you download that update? Any feedback?
Sorry I installed it but I had to come up here to Alaska for a few weeks of work, so I haven't gotten a chance to test. Will letcha know though. Btw, haven't heard back on the letter I wrote to lowrance either.

JRally

RDC Crypto
Website
www.evorally.com
When is your next race? The Gen2 may be really cool, will post updates when we get one.

Parker 425 so we have some time... I hope they work more into the Elite 5M in January, I'm not really looking to spend big on another GPS and I don't really want to have the 480 repaired.

uglyscout

RDC Crypto
You can probably buy an older ebay unit for a lot less than a new Elite or HDS.

And hang onto all the cables, antenna and crap from the broken one - you may need it.

JRally

RDC Crypto
Website
www.evorally.com
You can probably buy an older ebay unit for a lot less than a new Elite or HDS.

And hang onto all the cables, antenna and crap from the broken one - you may need it.

Oh yeah, all that stuff is still wired into the car.

maxyedor

RDC Crypto
If you want to save a few bucks and buy used, I can help you out there.

Between the HDS and the Elite, I'd go for the HDS because it's going to function exactly the same as the 480. No learning curve. If your co-dog is already used to the Elite in your chase truck, it may be a different story.