• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Which transmission to pick

Hey guys I have a f150 long travel truck. I am slowly collecting parts to do a 6.0 lq9 swap on it. I am planning on a set of LS3 heads with a good cam. I am wanting to hear everyone’s input on what trans y’all are running and recommend. I will mostly just be playing with the truck around town no long distance highway drives or anything. But it will be going off road and will eventually head west to the desert. I was at first thinking 4l80e but your talking 4K plus on a built trans. This build will be on a budget for now. I am thinking a built TH400 what are all the big name racers running in the desert? I think with the right gearing a th400 would be fine.

Thanks for the input guys

desertspeed

I had a long travel F150 with a mild built lq4 and a 4l80e that I recently sold. Knowing what I know now I would have just gone with a t400. I really didn't use the OD very often, and for the cost, weight savings, and size the t400 is a better choice unless you are going to be doing a lot of freeway miles.

I had a long travel F150 with a mild built lq4 and a 4l80e that I recently sold. Knowing what I know now I would have just gone with a t400. I really didn't use the OD very often, and for the cost, weight savings, and size the t400 is a better choice unless you are going to be doing a lot of freeway miles.
Awesome that’s exactly what I wanted to know. Yes I definitely won’t be doing much freeway driving at all. What rear gear were you running in the truck?

Bert is my name

Turbo 475 out of a motorhome or medium duty truck. Straight cut gears and slightly lower first gear ratio. More clutches and beefier shafts. Fixed yoke.

MTPyle

Turbo 400 with RV case and straight cut planetary gears is a good strong cheap set up.

Call Bill at Get it in gear in Havasu. He has lots of used cases and parts and can build you a bullet proof 400 for a super fair price. He builds ours and we have never had a problem and spend way less than all the race shops that sell 400’s

Mike