Which TT will kick butt next season?

Dave_G

Reaction
Now that the 2002 Score season has come to a close what are some of YOUR predictions for next year in regards to the Trophy Trucks. Who will dominate the class next year? Who will win all the marbles? Will it be a points battle right up to the end like this past year?

Lets hear who it will be and WHY? Again, I stress, WHY! Lets not clutter up this post with "so and so will do it cuz they rock" crap. Let's just get to the details! ;-)

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

erikh

Reaction
With six, I mean 7 races as of today, under his belt in a TT, Scott Steinberger teamed with Jessie Jones is definitely a force to be dealt with. Three points back in the first season in TT? That's impressive.

erik

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by erikh on 12/07/02 08:58 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Dave_G

Reaction
Erik,
I agree with you here. Scott has been in the hunt at almost every race and has been right up there with the big dogs. But the big force to recon with will be team Optima's Ashley and Smith. They are the most focused and talented drivers in that class by far. Their DNF's this past year that cost them the championship were directly related to money. Things were tight after Duralast bailed on them and they wern't able to replace some components on the car and as luck would have it, that's what failed and cost them the championship. Now, with Optima on board I'm confident that the reliability issues will go away and it will be all up to driving skill.

On another take here.....
New 39 inch tires will be available the first of the year and if most teams run them their going to have to do major mods to their trucks to solve reliability issues. Mainly with rearend gears, spindles and trannys. It could get ugly.....

Dave

martininsocal

Reaction
If, big if here, help me out dave, if Herbst's were to run the Truggy with a truck body, they would win, no question. It is pretty much what Scott is running anyway. The 4wd is great when it stays together, just more teething pains until they spend enough cash to make it unbeatable.

If the truggy stays in class 1, then I will go with the dark horse, Welchel and Post. They have a quality ride, and if they can settle down a bit, they will be reliable. just slow Welchel down a smidge and speed post up a lottle and they will be there.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

martininsocal

Reaction
Big P.S. here...If Dondels are done with testing, etc...They will be in the hunt by the middle of the season.

If your gonna go, go BIG

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I was told this weekend that Damon Jeffries will be racing the entire score season next year. I think he is a serious threat at any race. Sourapas in his new truck is also going to be a serious contender. I think we will have a different winner every race. I dont think any one team will dominate.

"faster than it looks"

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
#7 Scott teaming up with Jesse and the Mechanic of the year prepping the hardware.... watch out. Somone is packing lunch to go.

Jeffries going full on SCORE next season...should be good.

Sourapas with a new truck. Porter build new truck.

Team Enduro has been strong in the past. Keeping everyone in check.

Team Red, Truck will undergo a couple of changes next season. Good stuff.

- Any one of the above will pull it of.

elcaprerunner

Reaction
In Best In The Desert it will be Kyle Taylor. This season he raced his class 8 in Trophy Truck class for the first four races, didn't race the BITD Mexico race, and ONLY raced Tonapah and this last race in his new TT and came in second in the points championship just behind Jefferies. He would have gotten the overall this race if he didn't have that problem with the oil pump. His new truck is state of the art, and has a low center of gravity, plus he is an EXCELLENT driver. GO KYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also hear rumor that he will race Laughlin and Primm next year in SCORE.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests

Dave_G

Reaction
RE:" if Herbst's were to run the Truggy with a truck body, they would win, no question."

Martin,
It's my guess that truggy will probably stay as a class 1 car. But you also have to realize that it's starting to have reliability issues with the T400 trans in it. Mainly with the torque convertors. They even burned one down at the 1000 and several other times this past season. The bigger tires that are coming out won't make things any easier on the transmissions either. Some drastic changes will probably be needed in order to keep it reliable and competitive in the near future.

Dave

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Why are they having problems with it all of the sudden? Don't they put a new transmission in it?

I'm going with TT#7 next year for the championship. Scott was super competitive in just his "rookie" season and with more $$$$/support coming from Jesse and Barry prepping the truck, watch out!!!!!
Gotta go with Enduro for the baja races though.

What teams are running the new 39" tires?

See ya in the dirt!

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
In my world it will be team Enduro and Jefferies at the top of score. The 4wd ECLIPSE still needs some fine tuning work but when it is done he might catch Taylor:)

BITD, Taylor all the way, and even in the score races that they will attend. I don't know about a State of the ART Machine, they aren't running computers everywhere and all the technical stuff like other teams out there, I like to think of it as a proven system made better! I asked kyle not to long ago if he was going to stay out of the lap I failed spelling and he said they were going for the more prestigous(sp) score races like laughlin, they hate to go to Mexico so don't expect them to, wont even do it just to drive some one elses rig. Has everyone forgotten that he was beating jefferies in his "8" TRUCK!

As for the #7 truck, when you look at how ED drove it, compared to how it is now driven, it needs some more lead in the foot. I don't know if it was because of the blank check that they raced with or not, but he smashed that truck through the courses, and if scott got that thing up to the speed that ED drove at, he is a force to be reconed with!

Dondel Has a very fast rig, and as long as he can keep talking nye into modifying it to make it perfect it will be a thorn in everyones side.

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

Bolca_Grande_II

Reaction
The topic of this thread is which "Trophy Truck" will do well next year. Damon Jeffries and Kyle Tayhor have Trick Trucks! These trucks will obviously compete in the Trophy Truck class but will the drivers cut the mustard? I think there will be a learning curve on how fast they will have to drive against the Trophy Truck set. I think Kyle has the best shot at it. From what I have seen he knows how to haul the mail.

Bolca Grande II

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
A Trophy Truck is a Trick Truck. Kyle already knows how fast to drive because he has done it twice in the new ride and several in an 8 truck. I would say that if you can beat most of the the fastest trucks with a "slower" truck you got something going. I think it would be the same as a 7 truck getting wooped by a 7s that would be something to see.

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
We did it in Parker...7s beating a 7...actually 3, 7 trucks to be exact!

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
"a 7 truck getting wooped by a 7s that would be something to see"

Doug and Cory (s & s) do it all the time.....

JasonHutter

Reaction
I don't know how many times you have seen Scott drive the #7, but every time I saw him pass us at Primm this year he was on it! I had a hard time driving myself as I was too busy spectating the #7. An look at his performance at Laughlin this year, he was running hard.

Jason

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
No I haven't tested the 39's.I'm not even sure they are available to anyone yet.Talking to Danny Porter about the possibilty of using them on my truck would require alot of work to make them fit as well as extra wear and tear on the drivetrain that we don't need at this time.I believe they were designed for some of the really heavy Trophy Trucks out there that are real hard on tires.Also you would get some extra ground clearance and bigger tires do go thru the holes better.

BEERMAN