Whining Rear

FordFreak

Reaction
I got my gears done about 2 weeks ago and have noticed ever since I picked up my truck that the gears are whining. It is ussually at times when I have my foot on the gas at around 35-55MPH. Sometimes it is a low sound and other times it gets pretty loud. Sometimes there is no noticable sound at all. I understood that I might have to deal with some extra noise from the rear but not this much. I had 4.56's put in my stock f-150(4.6L) 8.8. What do you guys think?

jeff

Reaction
Who did it? Sounds like a bad setup to me. You can pull the cover yourself and check the pattern on the teeth to see where it's making contact. My advice would be to take it back, grab one of the monkeys that built it, and take em' for a ride. When you pay money to a professional you should get professional work. If you paid the neighbor $20 bucks and a sixer you got what you paid for

redline

Reaction
it may be a bad set-up, bad gears, or just the style of gears. what kind of gears are they. i wouldd definately take it back and have them go for a ride in the truck but you may be stuck with it. some gears are louder than others. if it sounds like a banshee screaming from your rear end though thats not good.

DMSRACE

Reaction
I don't what kind of gears you buy, but I have never had any that made nosie...I have even had used gears installed and never had them make nosie...it must be bad set up....

michael_loomis

Reaction
bad setup !!

or the ring gear bolts came loose , either way , BAD SETUP get it fixed soon !

FordFreak

Reaction
I had them installed by Jay at PDC and they are Superior gears. Some guys that have talked to that had a lot of experience with gears in ford 8.8's recommended Superior. I will go down there on my next day off and take Jay for a ride. I know that he stands behind his work and if it was his bad then he will fix it. Thanks guys.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
Just curious, so the 97 and up trucks with the 4.6 have the 8.8 rear and the 5.4 have something bigger right?

FordFreak

Reaction
I went down to PDC and talked to Jay and he basicaly said that I was going to have to live with the noise. He said the cut of gears that are required to fit in the 8.8 are the cause of it. He said that my alluminum driveshaft was creating a echo chamber and intensifing the sound. He also said that 3.73 make no noise and 4.10 are 99% noise free, anything higher and they make noise. I have no reason to not believe Jay so I guess I am going to have to deal with the noise.

tedmales

Reaction
i think i would at least invite a buddy who knows what the wear pattern should look like, pull the diff cover and look for myself. if the guy is on the up and up it only cost you 1 tube of rtv, and some oil. don't forget any additive that it might need if you open it up. i wonder if you could drill a small hole in the driveshaft and fill it with spray foam. could help the echo part. i have never tried this, any drive shaft guys think yay or nay?

michael_loomis

Reaction
its not hard to pull the cover and check the wear pattern ...it will either be even across the entire face of the teeth or it wont .

ntsqd

Reaction
Aluminum driveshafts are kinda iffy anyway, I wouldn't drill a hole in one. Plus you have no guaruntee of uniform density of the foam which could throw off the balance.

I'd try some of that stuff [daddy didnt love me] Despot sells in the roofing section that some ppl call poor boy Dynamat. Cut a piece of it to go exactly once around the drive shaft and apply it in the middle. Acoustically that will make it two driveshafts half as long, which should change it's resonant freq enough. If not, cover the whole dang thing with it or better yet have a steel driveshaft made for the truck.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I have 4.56s in my 8.8 and they make no noise...with either the steel 2 piece or the newer aluminum one piece driveshafts. the only gears that are cut funny are anything over 4.56 and that is becasue they are too big to fit and they must be jigga rigged to work by whomoever is installing the gears...thats why you cant buy ford SVO gears any bigger then 4.56...they wont fit without half assing it. Take is somewhere else and get another opinion...I recommend Jim at performance differential in ontario.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
I've had 4.56 in two different 8.8 rears since 95 and since 98 and neither made funny noises. I've got a 9" now w/4.71 and all were good setups from Jim at Performace differential.

Are these f-150 (4.6) rearends the same as a ranger, besides width?

MH20

Reaction
I have 4.88s in the back of my ranger and they dont make any noise. Set up by T&Js.

The F150 and Explorer 8.8s are 31 splines, the ranger is only 28.

FordFreak

Reaction
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. I have talked to may others who say that they should not whine either and one of my buddies is a machanic and said that they should not whine. I know that I could pull the diff cover without a problem and maybe I should take it somewhere else to see what they say. Once again thanks a lot guys.

DMSRACE

Reaction
That dude HOSED YOU!!!!!...I know a good lawyer...that is BS...Kritters gears were my old ones with an easy 60000 miles on them, and none of them nice...

Jim's # 909-923-7707...I will promise you he will do it right...

FordFreak

Reaction
I have been busy I just called Superior and they said that during the break-in period they tend to make a little more noise. He also reccommended that I change the oil due to the fact that the gears have to mesh and lots of particles get created and that it ussually runs hot. He said check teh wear pattern and make sure that the oil is not burned due to too much heat. He asked where I had them installed and told me that PDC does good work so I should not worry about the install. I think that I am just a little parranoid maybe about the noise that my rear is creating. He said that the noise that is created with 4.56's is ussually overpowered by the noise MT's make and said due to the fact that I hve AT's I can hear the gears more. I admit that the sound seems to be quieting down so maybe they are right. I will put the diff sometime in the next week and look at things and see what the wear patern is. A buddy of mine is a mechanic and he said to add something that lucas makes that thickens up the oil in the rear. Would you guys reccommend that and what is it called? I will keep you guys posted.

FordFreak

Reaction
Well, finally opened to rear and was not really happy with what I saw. The fluid looked good and so did the wear pattern on the gears. My buddy thought the they looked great. Did not really see a lot of shaving in there either. This is bad cuz now I know that I am going to have to deal with the whinning rear. This is just my luck, everyone and their mom says they have not had their gears whine and I get the set-up that does. I will post pics soon and you guys can see what I saw.

Justin

Reaction
I have the same thing with mine I got 4.71 gears with a detroit locker. After a while you just get used to the sound or just turn the stereo up louder.