Whiplash Racing

MikeLeung

Reaction
In the new Southwest Offroad News, Jay McKinney basically told everybody that he's getting out of desert racing. He said that he might sell, or might have already sold the organization.

My question is why don't we create a club organization similar to SNORE? Maybe we can resurrect A.D.R.A. Any thoughts?

snoreracer

Reaction
Mike that's a great idea, any help that you need give snore a call at 702-452 4522 . I think jay got a tired of all the bs after parker screwed him.

MikeLeung

Reaction
Thanks Kenny

How about some history on the beginning of SNORE. That could give us some direction. I leave today for the Whiplash Rocky Point race...I'll raise this issue with some other racers and see what they think.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Lou Peralta is also looking to get involved in Dez Racing promotions again. Maybe, Jay and Lou should talk?

choppekx

Reaction
I hope something works out. I quit going to AZ dezert races a 3 or 4 years ago. I don't know if things have changed, but back then you would go to a race that was supposed to start at 9 and you might not start til 11 or 12. Do a lot of standing around and waiting. Finally got sick and tired and quit going. Amazingly enaough those races would draw a ton of participants, I think someone with some time could really make it work. The race coarses were fun, especially some of the ones from the ADRA race days, like Prescott and Heber before they moved it to snowflake, Gila Bend was always a blast also.

murphco

Reaction
i know what you mean on not starting till whenever.at wickenburg a few years back we where told to wait for the "checkpoint official" to take us out to a certain spot on the course,we had to go with him because they started closing the gate to the area due to the property owner not wanting alot of people out there.he finally showed up at 5 mins to start after we had ordered food from the stand.he was hungry so he called on the radio to hold the race for a few minutes.30 minutes later we went to the spot after showing him where it was.not surprising the mobile county fair is having problems.

TimHayosh

Reaction
Choppekx said:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I quit going to AZ dezert races a 3 or 4 years ago

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't blame you! I quit going to AZ races 2 years ago...and I live here! Like so many others, I would love to see something develop here. It is not an easy thing we are talking about! It would be great to not have to drive to Kalifornia to race my new rig.

snoreracer

Reaction
Mike back in 1968 the 1st mint had just happened, some Vegas guys had just raced in it and were looking for more places to race, back then it was baja or the mint. So there was a meeting with bike and buggy guys to put on a night race at state line (primm) turn out was about 50 vehicles. They started getting calls from everywhere so snore was started with money put up by a local racer and the snore 250 was held over 200 bikes and buggy's. The list of guys that helped get this thing going is like a who's who of off road racing Walt lott, bob maccachen and Bert vaughan . here is what you are going to need to get started. money, back when snore started the blm didn't even make you get a permit. now they make you have $350,000 insurance for 6 races about $10,000, if you run on private property they usually want $2,0000,000 insurance about $17,000 a year. then to mark the course arrows and stakes with ribbon about $500. Then port-potties for a race about $600 a race. Then the blm wants a bond if you are new to the district usually for $10,000. Then you are going to need 5 people that will give you 125% to run the thing with no pay. then there is a place to do timing a generator, flags, lights, gas, advertisement, tee shirts to give the helpers and gas. sometimes the blm wants money for rangers or to do an EA. to run in a new area. they make about $25 HR + mileage. At the last snore race the blm got $7,200 after the race .you will find that everyone has there hand out thinking that you are getting rich . it takes $7500 to run a race not countng the blm, so Mike find someone with deep pockets to help you get started, its a lot of work but if you get to see your kids race it's worth it.

MikeLeung

Reaction
Oh I'm not looking to start a ew company...I have my own company to run. I was just exploring what ideas can fill the void if Jay were to stop holding desert races in Arizona.

Azdesertracer

Reaction
I read that in the last paper. I would love to see something similar to SNORE be here. I raced the SNORE Avi Race last year and thought it was great.