Whipple Superchargers 6122 2021 KOH Race recap

MTPyle

Reaction
Wow what an event and amazing experience.

We started our KOH prep after our rough Parker race last year. We had to get new body, new engine, fix cooling issues, new engine harness, new look, and etc... Lots of work and for the most part we did great. Was more work than I thought to make counterfeit Turnkey tags so we could have a cheater motor but I think it will be worth it in the long run. LOL Just kidding.

Fiberwerx did a great job making some more changes to our body to get it to fit closer to the chassis and reduce drag. But that was more work than we thought. Haha But I think it looks amazing and for sure works better.

One challenge is for some reason we as a team like to procrastinate and wait until the two weeks before a race to get work done that we could have done months ago. I guess the guys like the excitement of long days and mad dash on race week. Haha Haha… Something we need to work on for sure because as a team owner I did not sleep for two weeks prior to the race. We showed up a day late and in a scramble. No matter what you do you cant get that time back. So many details we did not get to that I wanted to. We are a young team that’s learning.

After going thru the cooling system with a fine tooth comb I realized we did not understand how the water pump worked. I started a thread in the shop section and with the help of you guys we figured out that by removing the insides of the thermostat we basically shorted out the water flow with the bypass. We were running 250 at Parker and got to 265 when the head gasket blew. We put in a race thermostat and now run 200 deg. Which is amazing. Finally, all of our temps are what they should be and our radiator is out of the air flow of the cab.

We have been fighting our fuel system since we got the truck. We have changed everything at least twice and 3 different fuel pump brands. Lots of heat shields and heat wrap. We recently went to the holly fuel mat which helped flow and allowed us to remove the pre filter. Its great until you roll and the mat slides up the side of the cell. So we connected the two mats to each other so that would not happen. But in the race we were losing pressure again. Tested and pre ran was great but at race heat loads it just vapor locks and will not hold pressure. So during the race we were down on power. We have decided to put the pumps in the tank and go with a brushless design for lower heat into the fuel. Its hard to find a pump rated for our power and E85 flows without going to a big pump that will create too much heat. So we will see what we end up with.

We decided to have Connor Drive and Carson Co dog for the entire KOH event. We know he is faster and if he can save his tires then he can be in the top 5. But I think we got too much into his head and he was driving pretty conservative in pre run and qualifying. He got a flat in qualifying which made him even more nervous for the race. We started pretty far back on race day which was going to be a challenge.

Race was on and at RM25 the boys showed 0mph on the tracker. Our pits were pretty close to the media office and Dave came out and said he thinks we rolled. Our truck was stopped very close to the 251 truck that went end over end. Dave’s guys had eyes on it but could not tell who was rolled. So we waited and hoped for the best. After a few minutes they got going again and it was clear it was not us that rolled. They stopped in our Remote Pit and confirmed that it was a tire and got a new one in the rack from Jason Cobb and the TL team that came to help us out. I was glad it was only a tire but getting a flat that early in the race really got into Connor and Carson’s head.

After that they had a decent pace but was nowhere near what it would take to get into the top 5. They were in survival mode and getting beat to crap. They did well and kept it together with zero flats or issues after the first flat. We ended up 11th in 6100 (really 10th if you take out the Honda truck that’s not a 6100 LOL) and 17th overall. Not bad but not what we showed up for. Still our best result so far which shows we are getting better and a finish at this race is great.

The good news is off-road racing is all about finding that balance between too fast and too slow. For Connor and Carson they now have been to both extremes so hopefully they can find that sweet spot. Not to say they didn’t run well and there were many laps they had great pace. They showed they can keep the truck together for sure and run decent.

The truck did amazing and shows that even though our team was behind for this prep they did a great job. It’s a huge accomplishment to prep a truck to survive that course with zero issues, other than the fuel pump issue which we have had for years. I think it was less than half of the racers finished and some really great teams had issues.

The event was the biggest best race we have been to. There were some issues that are confusing and not super dialed in but I think that’s mostly due to Covid. The event staff and the race its self was top notch. The course ended up being way more brutal than we expected and I think that was due to the rain and snow before pre running. All those pre runners on a wet course made it really torn up and square edges. I think when Dave put together the course it was a good balance but on race day it was hell. That’s a really hard balance to achieve. You want it to be tough but you want racers to want to come back. Everyone I talked to said it was the toughest course they have raced and these were some very experienced desert guys. We didn’t expect to need a full prep after this race but pretty sure we used it all up. Also need a front camera to see over all the drop offs for next year. LOL

Was great to meet some of the Ultra4 guys as they are some cool dudes. I think that was one of the best parts was mixing the different types of off-road racing together. The Ultra4 events we watched were unbelievable and great entertainment. If you have never been to Chocolate Thunder at night During KOH you have missed out. Bucket list for sure.

Thanks to Dave Cole for a great event and being there for us. Dave really helped us figure out what we needed to do. He also had to yell at me a few times for being an idiot but he is good at that so it wasn’t much work for him. Hehe. Thanks to all the support from our sponsors and fans. It was great to have so many people reach out and rooting for us. Hopefully next race we will do better and give them something to cheer about. We need it. Haha

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1262.jpeg
    IMG_1262.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1259.jpeg
    IMG_1259.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 143
  • 63374019069__4E05D752-67D9-4EE8-A1B9-85172FB7F12B.jpeg
    63374019069__4E05D752-67D9-4EE8-A1B9-85172FB7F12B.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1232.jpeg
    IMG_1232.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1231.jpeg
    IMG_1231.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1230.jpeg
    IMG_1230.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 140

MTPyle

Reaction
Oh I almost forgot about Josh and the Class 11 race. Man that was a blast and so cool to be part of. Was great to meet Josh and become friends with him. Jason did great job on some photos of us and Josh's Bug before he rolled it. Josh is a mad man and can wheel. Great experience for sure.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1221.jpeg
    IMG_1221.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1222.jpeg
    IMG_1222.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 145

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Congrats to 6122 and also a big thanks for supporting Josh.

That bug sure got used and abused this weekend.

The truck looked great on the course when I saw it. New body/wrap look real good too!

51rcr

Reaction
Theres lots that wont race KOH because its so rough tough on stuff. But it is offroad racing. I would say one flat is realky good for there. Getting him slowed down wasnt bad for that race either. Lots of sharp blind corners that would be a recovery operation. The hard sharp drainages along the base of the hills are hard on stuff. Good job on your best finish in the roughest race with the fastest driver not getting as many flats as usual nor breaking the truck. So ya got the proof if ya can get the fastest driver backed down your overall speed is the fastest ever. With break downs. Then again the lack of power maybe slowed him down also. Haha good job

MTPyle

Reaction
Thanks 51

When I drove the truck in Barstow after KOH I was blown away at how bad the power was. The fuel pumps are flat out broke and would not hold fuel pressure above 10psi at WOT. it was falling on its face. I asked Connor if it was like that the entire race and he said after lap 1 it did that and was bad the rest of the race. I had no idea it was that bad. LOL

Can't wait for our new fuel system. Like everything we are over thinking it and going way overboard. We will have the coolest fuel in the race. Haha

Watching video of the Stig driving our truck and comparing to Connor was interesting. Connor overall is pretty close to the pace but is not as smooth and as much control. I think what he learned from the Stig will really help him get smoother and stay fast.

We also got Connor a new Co Driver that can change tires really fast. So he wont be as worried about getting flats.

We are determined to get there. Baby steps.

Mike

stephenrjking

Reaction
Thanks 51

When I drove the truck in Barstow after KOH I was blown away at how bad the power was. The fuel pumps are flat out broke and would not hold fuel pressure above 10psi at WOT. it was falling on its face. I asked Connor if it was like that the entire race and he said after lap 1 it did that and was bad the rest of the race. I had no idea it was that bad. LOL

Can't wait for our new fuel system. Like everything we are over thinking it and going way overboard. We will have the coolest fuel in the race. Haha

Watching video of the Stig driving our truck and comparing to Connor was interesting. Connor overall is pretty close to the pace but is not as smooth and as much control. I think what he learned from the Stig will really help him get smoother and stay fast.

We also got Connor a new Co Driver that can change tires really fast. So he wont be as worried about getting flats.

We are determined to get there. Baby steps.

Mike
Maybe I'm missing something: Are you subbing out your son from the co-dog seat?

MTPyle

Reaction
Haha No, Carson (17) is going to Co drive with me for second half of SF250. I get less flats. Carson is getting better and working hard to be in shape to change tires. He lost 50lbs this year and has been working out. He is 6'5" 230lbs now and can throw around a tire.

Scott Lasiter (AKA Scotty Dogg, yes two G's) Co drove with me awhile ago for a few races and was crazy fast on tire change and getting in and out. So we are bringing him back for Connor.

Plus I look forward to having Carson with me, he is a really calm and consistent Co dog on the turn calls. And our first race together was B1000 18' and he and I did the San Felipe side. So it will be cool to have us together again in SF after all we have learned.

Plan is to get Carson more seat time so he can be ready for B1K this year. We will have all 3 of us drive and equally split it up. Just need to find him a really experienced Co dog for B1K.

Mike