Who can Add Bypass tubes

sirhk100

Reaction
I've got a set of smooth body Bilstein 9100 shocks that I want to add bypass tubes to eventually. I get the shocks at a pretty good price so I priced new ones vs. having tubes added and it's cheaper for me to buy new then it is to have Bilstein add tubes. Are there any companies out there that can add tubes? I'm just checking my options to see what will be the cheapest route!!!

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I know King gets around $125 a tube to add to his shocks but I doubt he will do those bilsteins cuz they are made different but you can always call he would be the fastest SAW is not much faster that bilstein on getting stuff fixed and shipped back...Mike

michael_loomis

Reaction
ahh cmon .... we can do that...just get the tubing and the check valves. we'll pull the shocks apart , you can get them tigged at work cant you ?then we'll hone the cans and reassemble .

MNotary

Reaction
I just got mine back from Kent Lothringer.... nice work. They were FOX though.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Kent is hands down the number one authority when it comes to Fox shocks!!!

homey

Reaction
Curt LeDuc does them too, but I'm sure he's back east for the CORR series right now.

michael_loomis

Reaction
lol kritter , i would have said john marking , but thats just me .

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
From what I understand LeDuc's tubes internal design makes them a "hair trigger" to adjust. They have the cone shape check valves, where as king's have the flat plunger, making the flow rate grow exponitially when turned just a hair compared to the flat plunger.

Greg

Reaction
Curt goes back and forth every race, but i bet hes pretty busy right now. I have 18 of his adjusters on my truck, and i re-did alot of the internals to flow more linerally (nice to have a machine shop at my disposal). But they do work.

Dillon

Reaction
King can add a third tube to a 2-tube bypass later on right?

redline

Reaction
they can add another tube but then you need to also get them replated or they will rust

arizonaE

Reaction
I have SAW 18" travel threaded body shocks I would like to add two compression tubes. I'm assuming the threads on the upper section of the body can be filed down for a flat spot to weld to. can I get a contact number for someone who can do the installation for me? I am considering buying the parts myself at $100 per tube and doing the installation myself, but I prefer to send them out to someone knowlegeable.

Brad Falin

Reaction
Depending on who installs them the tube is going to warp when the welding is done, most peolple that do this have the tubes honed after the bypass tubes are added tube are added

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
Call Lee at Raceshock Co. about adding tubes or send them in to the Bilstein Off road dept. The plating will be compromised in the welded area.

Raceshock Co
203 W Lone Cactus Dr
Phoenix, AZ 85027-2904
(602) 493-3700

zetapsi827

Reaction
Try calling Steve from ADS. He does really good work, and might be able to do it. He's down in Tucson, so it might be closer for you too. 520-748-0005.

Brian_Goleta

Reaction
Did you ever think of buying just the bypass can with all the tubes and adjusters installed from bilstein? Just a thought, I have no idea on pricing.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Buying just the cans with adjusters added will cost more than the shock itself! You will have to hone the cans after welding also. Try Foutz in AZ. He should be able to do the work(TIG weld only). THEN,ship them (without the screw top on) to Bilstein for honing.Then,you can reassemble them. You will also have to change out the working piston. Bilstein has a new 60 mm piston they are using,ask them about valving specs as it's still kind of "new".

arizonaE

Reaction
My shocks are SAW so I havent considered bilstein shock body. I did however have Lee at race shock try to get me new bypass shock bodies, but SAW wasn't interested in helping. I've found a fox bypass kit that includes the bypass tubes and adjusters for $110 each so getting the parts isn't an issue any more, there just a bit much in my opinion. I'll give steve at ADS and foutz a call and see what their opinions are. I'm not afraid to do the welding myself, I'm more concerned about the honing. It would be nice to find someone that could do the entire job for me, but it diesn't seem to be working out that way.