Who has the most evolved trophy truck?

GEARDOC

Reaction
I would consider Acers trucks to be a evolution of truck design also, needs some consistency but smart design.
Also the Racer truck that Dondel runs is fast, the trucks with the multi speed transmissions seem to be very fast but need to finish too.
Justin Lofton's Jimco won the Mint in only it's 2nd race. 5 speed Fortin.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
RG's trucks have always sounded nice but I don't think I could ever get the sound of the Vortec Chevy's out of my head, same for the Dan Smith/Dave Ashley truck before it got modified

The Baldwin rear canterleaver(sp?) suspension always stood out to me too

Offspring

Reaction
Pretty interesting the amount of people who think the best days are behind us in this evolution discussion, and new doesn't mean there has been any evolution. Also interesting how many of those evolutionary vehicles listed don't even hit a race courses anymore, yet some of the teams who ran them have moved away from them.

So if the field of eligible vehicles were listed and frozen in time, then compared in terms of wheel travel and how that is accomplished, 4wd or 2wd, engine placement, transmission type/placement, the evolution winners have to be the Phlugger truck, the Herbst 4wd, and the 77 (in no particular order). If those were whittled down to who is still running and winning we can see who that winner is. All the other trucks have just refined an age old design, but they win and are all basically the same so I don't see much evolution there.

The biggest factor in this mental masterbation, click bait thread, is any truck running 40's, because the increase in tire size has really been the biggest evolution factor in TT. :) Then again, how much has the wheel really evolved since it's inception? :D

BajaFand

Reaction
The Geiser trucks are a great platform, they are fast and most importantly reliable but are vastly all the same. Of course for those reasons and when they make up at least half or more of the field they are going to win and/or fill the podium. I like to see different things being tried, they don't even have to be so far out of the box. If you wanted a leg up on the competition why would you go buy the same thing that all of your competition has? It's an unlimited class turning into a spec class.

It's too bad the Dondels never had the patients to develop the AWD truck that Nye built for them before they decided to cut it up and change it. It could've been something truly impressive, especially in Baja. Anybody know what ever happened to it?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
The Geiser trucks are a great platform, they are fast and most importantly reliable but are vastly all the same. Of course for those reasons and when they make up at least half or more of the field they are going to win and/or fill the podium. I like to see different things being tried, they don't even have to be so far out of the box. If you wanted a leg up on the competition why would you go buy the same thing that all of your competition has? It's an unlimited class turning into a spec class.

It's too bad the Dondels never had the patients to develop the AWD truck that Nye built for them before they decided to cut it up and change it. It could've been something truly impressive, especially in Baja. Anybody know what ever happened to it?

That bass boat blue was bitchin.

BajaFand

Reaction
Another quite successful truck not being raced is Rick Johnson's. Put 39"s on it and I'm positive it's still a front runner. It was beating everyone else on 39"a with 37" Generals.

fatnbald

Reaction
i wanted to read the whole thread before putting that truck in the mix fand
rick johnson's truck would be the truck to get my vote
and the teams pre-runner is a top fiver for me too

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
The biggest factor in this mental masterbation, click bait thread, is any truck running 40's, because the increase in tire size has really been the biggest evolution factor in TT. :) Then again, how much has the wheel really evolved since it's inception? :D
"The Most Evolved Trophy Truck. The Answers may shock you."

Fourstroker

Reaction
Good news. Always loved that truck. Pretty sure the last time it ran it was back on BFG 39's

ace_photo

GET SOME
Reaction
ID Designs / SPD is a nice platform with a few Championships on them. Evolved? Not sure.

Tavo's is more or less a second gen. See Kyle Taylor's TT.

Taylor TT.jpg

rpracing

Reaction
At the time it was built I’d have to go with the RG Riviera truck, I still don’t think I’ve ever seen that truck get real squirrely. Can’t forget about the diesel VW… evolutionary and super cool, and the first Josh/Jason Baldwin trucks tried to do something unconventional with the cantilever rear suspension. Can’t argue with the Geiser Bros success, they are phenomenal trucks, so much so that everyone wants one but isn’t the game of designing and doing your own thing in an unlimited class most of the fun? And I LOVE the sound of Jerry Whelchel behind Chet Huffman’s Geiser Bros truck, a lot like RG’s in the Red Bull days.

Attachments

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
No mention of Ivan Stewart's PPI 015 truck? Back in it's prime there was nothing like it.

mike mcqueen

Reaction
Evolution,inovation. that starts reliability. The trucks that win the most is the best one. RG who i have the greatest respect for does not win enough. Voss has proven that preparation is what its all about. When you build a new truck, you have to make it last.