Who is the most accomplished off-road desert racer?

Jammminjay

RDC Crypto
Walker was badass.
Add riverside, and along with Hall and Fricker, they DOMINATED the sport for 10 or 15 years.
Evan's was savvy. Anderson complimented Walkers aggressive driving style.
2 wheel team-ups always brings me back to Roesseler/Hunnicut.

I remember filming near the end of Osbornes Wash in '89 and watching Roesseler in the soft deep whoops on the Kawasaki just leagues above every other racer going by.
Holy crap. He was one bounce or whoop away from bouncing into space!

Oh yeah, Johnny Johnson was one badass privateer
Old man opinion here.
I wish I was around to see that, looks like it could have been incredible. I was born in 95' so I am piecing all this together as I go.

Advertising supports this site

McCredie A

RDC Crypto
I was fortunate enough spend some time around Jim Fricker growing up. He had some great stories. He is an all around great dude!

Old Truck Guy

RDC Crypto
I wish I was around to see that, looks like it could have been incredible. I was born in 95' so I am piecing all this together as I go.
Ah dude, you have no clue.. Those were the glory days of off road racing.

The mint north of the speedrome.
Parker racing in both California and Arizona.
Rod Hall dominating in s STRAIGHT AXLE.

Walker and R.A. battling Vessels and Nelson in class 8.
RG cutting his teeth in old school TT's.
The Simon bros introducing Ranger dominance into the class 7 brigade in the early 80's.
Mingah with his badass 911 in class 5.
Ramon dominating class 11.
The Klawitters and Hernquist blazing across the terrain in their 5 cars.

In those days, the only recognition you got was passing by a spectator's bonfire at 2:00 in the morning 30 miles from any pavement and innovators like Nick Nicholson and Johnny Johnson would be a thorn in the side of their competitors.
That's when more shocks per wheel was the common concensus.
When you could arrive Thursday and prerun the entire course to find the best camping spot to enjoy the race.
When TT's first started breathing fire.

When Gyser ( no offense guys) was sumpm you watched in yellowstone.
"What a drag it is getting old"

Jamming J, I'm always entertained reading your posts.
You are well informed and a great online ambassador for the sport.

THE_SCOTTS

RDC Crypto
Found this article from almost a decade ago.
How does this list stack up against today's drivers?
Who should be dropped, added?
Looks like only one spot will be left untouched. #1 Driver

Matthew Camp

RDC Crypto
D870C466-6936-45A6-B902-B5536649F05B.jpeg971A154B-79F1-4085-A0C0-1A7432964C5D.jpegA1D73999-4A92-4A1E-9FA8-38F8071D8B44.jpegBarney old field took 5th overall at the Indy 500 then months later won the cactus derby in the same car !

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
I would say Luke has moved up the ladder.

BJ has probably dropped off the list.
Brice M. not sure. He's been struggling a lot lately.

Tanner Foust has probably dropped down some as well.

51rcr

RDC Crypto
Championships? lots of, wins talked about. Not much mentions of Championships. those are your consistent top placers finishers thats there all the time.
championships group the wins all to one for the year.

BajaFand

RDC Crypto
Thinking about this topic the other day, are we only talking North American off road racing? Because, as much as I hate to say it, Stephan Pererhansel is right near the top. Is it 13 or 14 overall Dakar victories? 6 on motorcycles, and 7 or 8 in cars and still going.

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
Thinking about this topic the other day, are we only talking North American off road racing? Because, as much as I hate to say it, Stephan Pererhansel is right near the top. Is it 13 or 14 overall Dakar victories? 6 on motorcycles, and 7 or 8 in cars and still going.
One of the most well rounded for sure, Sebastian Loeb although not strictly a “desert racer” has had an amazing as well as diverse career.

redline

RDC Crypto
Rob Mac…….. period…
He is the only one who has truly made a living off of off-road living, still to this day is cashing checks for it, and is still in the top of everyone’s list for who could actually win any race he shows up to. Plus while everyone is trying to figure out who can go wreckers or checkers to beat him while knowing he doesn’t ruin his equipment, he legitimately qualifies for the early bird senior citizen breakfast discount!

BajaFand

RDC Crypto
One of the most well rounded for sure, Sebastian Loeb although not strictly a “desert racer” has had an amazing as well as diverse career.
Loeb’s off road career has not been very impressive to me, not a lot of success there. Maybe it’s the style of racing that doesn’t suit him being more about navigation than all out speed. Maybe a Baja style race would better suit him where he knew the course and could open it up. Still I’m not sure he would know how hard or how easy to be on the equipment. If you ask me, Nasser and Toby Price have a leg up on Loeb in the off road world.

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
Loeb won 9 WRC titles back to back, also holds the record for stage wins, also holds the record for event wins.

He’s only run Dakar a handful of times and finished 2nd twice.

I’m willing to bet if he put the time in he could beat just about anyone at anything.

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
Nasser has proven he can drive anything and do well, time will tell where he ends up in the list
Price has all the markings of a great rider/driver, hope we see him in Baja soon, rumor has it both of them might be coming back again.
Sainz and Loeb are both legends
Despres

NIKAL

RDC Crypto
The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced Robby is the most “accomplished” desert racer. He’s the only “Desert Racer” to go road racing for teams like Jack Roush, and win multiple road races like the 24 hours. He’s the only Desert Racer to race & win in Indy car and own an Indy car team. He’s one of the few to go into NASCAR & win races at the highest level, and own his own team. Still owns a 60K sqft racing facility that he runs his multiple buisness out of. He’s by far the most popular Deset Racer to ever race the Dakar, and was the first American to win a stage in a 4 wheel vehicle? He’s the second desert racer (Mickey being the first) that has started a series like SST, but designed and built all the vehicles for the series. Robby was the first to bring Energy Drinks into the sport of desert racing, & NASCAR. The only one I know to create his own energy drink company. He’s the only desert racer I know of that has worked with companies like Polaris & Arctic Cat designing vehicles, and then started his own UTV company. He’s the only desert racer that I know to own his own tool company which allot of desert racers like & use.

And while doing all these things listed, never left the sport of desert racing. In fact while doing these other things he continued to win desert races & championships. He helped created the modern day TT which is now the Riviera TT. And he has continued to try to evolve the sport and design new things like shocks, front dif units, hubs etc.. Rumor has it as soon as this UTV business is up & running he’s going to design a new TT that I’d assume would be a father/son team?

Love him, hate him or just don’t think he’s as competitive anymore? I still don’t know anyone who has “accomplished” more from starting in his dads Chenowth buggy.