Who makes off-roadable V-drives???

atomicjoe23

Who makes off-roadable V-drives?

I am accumulating parts/designing a budget desert buggy. . .mid engine/RWD IRS. . .I want to mount the engine right behind the seats with the transmission pointing forwards (manual transmission. . .I know the shift pattern will be funny, but it's just right to left instead of left to right. . .not hard). . .I originally thought I would just use a spare transfer case I had laying around to re-direct the output of the transmission back to the rearend by using the front driveshaft output, but then I realized that the output isn't centered and clocking it so that it would be centered would make it hang down really low which isn't acceptable. . .so unless someone can make a suggestion for getting a transfer case to redirect the transmission output back towards the rear-end and centered I think I'm stuck with using a V-drive, but I know pretty much nothing about them including who makes them.

Thanks!

Haycock

if its going to be IRS why run a V-drive? if you are going to use a solid rear end you could use a t-case, just offset the diff on the axle.

I didn't catch where he mentioned what engine he was planning on using. A (good) reconditioned bus box can be had at around 1000.00. Whats the cost of a good v-drive? Factor in power loss through all of it too...
Of course, if he was using something big, he would need a bigger transaxle and then cost would go way up.

85yota

why wouldn't a divorced Np205 t-case froma ford or dodge work in the place of a V-drive. just use th efront output and not the rear. They can be had for $250 or so and are strong enough for some Big block trucks.

Haycock

The 9" will not oil the pinion bearing upside down been their done that.
you can put a oil slinger on it... or overfill it.

i still dont understand why he wants to run a v-drive on a mid engine irs setup. hook the transmission to the motor and than mount the diff to the transmission... no need for a v-drive!

cdc12372

The 9" will not oil the pinion bearing upside down been their done that.
It will nerver work????? Shannon Campbell just ran a 200 mile race with upside down 9" Just have to have the right people build your rear end. Look at the door!!!!!! He'll also be racing V2R

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Currie makes high pinion diffs BUT I'm not positive how they are doing the ring and pinion on this rig. currie makes a ring gear just for the hi pinion case for standard rotation only. That was the last time I bought 30 of them. maybe they have a reverse rotation gearset now I don't know

Dumfast

you can put a oil slinger on it... or overfill it.

i still dont understand why he wants to run a v-drive on a mid engine irs setup. hook the transmission to the motor and than mount the diff to the transmission... no need for a v-drive!
If I was guessing its so he can have a shorter wheelbase than a behind the seat engine/trans/diff setup...

cdc12372

Currie makes high pinion diffs BUT I'm not positive how they are doing the ring and pinion on this rig. currie makes a ring gear just for the hi pinion case for standard rotation only. That was the last time I bought 30 of them. maybe they have a reverse rotation gearset now I don't know
It runs standard 9" parts with a custom pinion support.

Haycock

curries hi pinion 9" uses reverse cut 8.8 gears. they dont make reverse cut 9" gears. True Hi-9 is the only company that makes a "true" high pinion 9". shannan campbell runs his diffs flipped.

Haycock

If I was guessing its so he can have a shorter wheelbase than a behind the seat engine/trans/diff setup...
it seams with all the extra headache he will only be saving 6inches since you couldnt put the diff right up to the motor becouse of the drive line that would be snaked around the motor.

Captain Air Time

it seams with all the extra headache he will only be saving 6inches since you couldnt put the diff right up to the motor becouse of the drive line that would be snaked around the motor.
He'll just have to adapt a TTB to the rear, and run the offset driveline :D