Who makes the best TT today?

JBuggy21

RDC Crypto
Herbst wouldn’t build Thompson a awd, So he bought a mason? And they put what in the herbst. Now I’m confused…

Steve_Sourapas

RDC Crypto
Website
stevesourapas.com
@Steve_Sourapas It’s interesting to think it was only a decade ago you’d still be labeled crazy to throw in a big block. It didn’t make sense then as it was still unproven/unknown whether the drivetrain would live. The underdrive and 10” gears helped get there. I think Jesse James was the first big block geiser.
I had a big block in my Walker Evans class 8 in 1997. It was actually built by Kevin Kroyer when he worked at Walker Evans. That truck hauled the mail on the graded roads.

jcorsico

RDC Crypto
So are all the tt builders developing a AWD truck now? Ive heard of a few but haven’t seen much evidence
The AWD trucks are faster, but only in certain circumstances. And even in those circumstances, they are not that much faster. Only a little bit faster.

They are more expensive. And mathematically, they are less reliable (twice as much driveline to break = twice as much probability of failure).

This is why you see people still ordering 2WD trucks. And Herbst still building only 2WD trucks. They remain competitive and may actually be a better choice (maybe) if you are going for a championship where finishing each race in a respectable position is more important than winning each race. However, if your strategy is "wreckers or checkers", then you want the AWD, because all you care about is raw speed.

EL ROMAN

RDC Crypto
The AWD trucks are faster, but only in certain circumstances. And even in those circumstances, they are not that much faster. Only a little bit faster.

They are more expensive. And mathematically, they are less reliable (twice as much driveline to break = twice as much probability of failure).

This is why you see people still ordering 2WD trucks. And Herbst still building only 2WD trucks. They remain competitive and may actually be a better choice (maybe) if you are going for a championship where finishing each race in a respectable position is more important than winning each race. However, if your strategy is "wreckers or checkers", then you want the AWD, because all you care about is raw speed.
I agree with this as a whole, but not the reasoning. If we are admitting that AWD is faster than 2WD, then in order to be competitive in 2WD, you have to drive the $h!t out of the truck, thus more abuse. When I see how Harley drives that Concrete truck to be competitive, it looks night and day different than anyone else in an AWD truck. Look at the most recent Tuba Laughlin Qualifying video for example. Compare how Harley goes through the same section as Lofton and see how different they are. While I agree the more components, the more probability of failure of those components, you have to consider how hard you abuse those components to achieve the same overall speed/time (not in a straight line vs turns/bumps, but overall).

Robert Mason

RDC Crypto

Which races do you feel like the awds would not be at an advantage?

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Haha Robert throws it down. Hard to argue the results. Mason AWD has pretty much dominated every desert course.

Not to take away from the truck but some of those teams could make a lot of trucks win. Hard to compete with Bryce’s talent and dads money. That is a good combo. It’s possible that Bryce would have similar results in a Geiser G6 or Herbst truck. Who knows. We know for sure Bryce and Mason have killed it.

Again not trying to take away from the Mason AWD. It’s the top dog for sure. Huge respect. The last couple years and many more will always be known as the years Mason dominated TT. Legit AF

Mike

Goober

RDC Crypto
Yes but it all depends on what your goals are. Today the biggest issue with 2WD trucks is what are you running for power. The trucks with big blocks or Gibbs package seems to be somewhat competitive. Realistically you are going to have a tough time breaking into the top 5 in the bigger events against the AWD if they stay alive. I remember seeing a sign at Don Hatz VW Racing engines back in the day that said, Speed cost money how fast do you want to go. Some people have lots of money and want to go really fast.
Does Rob Mac run a big block?

Goober

RDC Crypto
If I was rich and was going to by a new truck I think it would be a TSCO. They are amazing and so well built.

When I was doing the most winning 6100 spreadsheet the TSCO had great finishes with very few entries compared to the other brands.

I don’t think Herbst would sell me a
Truck anyway. So TSCO it is. Geiser is a very close second.

Mike
Why wouldn’t Herbst sell you a truck?

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
Who is your buddy and where did he get that info? We have 4 Awd trucks, 1 Aussie 2wd and 1 6100 on order currently.
He lives down Norco. Raced a golf cart in the 50th 1000. Has raced in several other classes as well, including TT.

So you are saying there is no back log? Anyone can order one tomorrow and when can they expect delivery?
I have no stake in the game. But respect him and what he knows. Hes never steered me wrong.