Who makes the best TT today?

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
Lofton did pretty damn well today, but KJ is a absolute beast of a wheelman too, that guy flat out rip, super smooth lines, keeps speed in the corners, avoids the chop.

jcorsico

RDC Crypto
They were not even close. Just saying
Nobody is arguing that a 2WD is faster than a 4WD. The strategy question is whether you are willing to take the reliability hit of 4WD.

For example, Bryce Menzies was leading V2R this year, and would have easily won, until he supposedly had a front diff failure. A 2WD truck then won. If Bryce was in a 2WD truck, he probably (probably!) would have won that race, as he’s a super fast driver even in 2WD, and he seems to do really well in that particular race.

Failing to finish V2R will make it hard for Bryce to win the points championship, as DNFs are costly. If you want to win a championship, you must finish races. AWD helps you go faster, but increases the chance that you will not finish. Almost all new technologies are like that. It’s extremely rare to find something that makes the truck both faster AND more reliable.

Pick your poison!

offroadracer516

RDC Crypto
Website
www.race-dezert.com
Nobody is arguing that a 2WD is faster than a 4WD. The strategy question is whether you are willing to take the reliability hit of 4WD.

For example, Bryce Menzies was leading V2R this year, and would have easily won, until he supposedly had a front diff failure. A 2WD truck then won. If Bryce was in a 2WD truck, he probably (probably!) would have won that race, as he’s a super fast driver even in 2WD, and he seems to do really well in that particular race.

Failing to finish V2R will make it hard for Bryce to win the points championship, as DNFs are costly. If you want to win a championship, you must finish races. AWD helps you go faster, but increases the chance that you will not finish. Almost all new technologies are like that. It’s extremely rare to find something that makes the truck both faster AND more reliable.

Pick your poison
Diff failure?? From what I Remember a fitting broke. A cheap off the shelf part. Hardly a 4wd failure.

Goober

RDC Crypto

Pick your poison!
I don’t think a 2wd would change the result if Bryce was driving.

sand shark

RDC Crypto
Yet Thompson had to buy a Mason to get into a AWD for concrete after Herbst/Smith declined to build one for him.

I know they run the Mason gearing in their current truck. That would be very interesting if they end up getting an Awd truck.

If an Awd truck wins the Baja 1000 I think we will see a lot more believers in the set up. Especially with it being over 1000 miles.

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
AWDs are an awesome truck. Once they are fully sorted out and are reliable with the right equipment, they will be a force.
Just like they are in short course. When they mix the two, Pro2 and Pro4, the Pro4 wins. But then again, Rob Mac makes the poidum in his Pro2 with all the Pro4s.
Just saying. The man can wheel.
The 1000 will be interesting with Rob and Luke in Luke's AWD.

Robert Mason

RDC Crypto
It’s faster but more prone to break. Pick your poison. There is no right or wrong answer.
I will disagree on that. Do you know what actually took Bryce out at Vegas to Reno? A fitting broke and lost all oil to the front diff. They think it took a rock but who knows. Rock can take out a fitting for a system on a 2wd too. Look at the finish rate for Mason awds this year and win rates and get back to me. I dont consider DNF caused by a crash a reliability issue. If you think you are going to win many races in a 2wd these days with the top dogs racing awds, you are kidding yourself. We have several more top teams with trucks on order. Lets just take a look at the SCORE races this year since they obviously have the most competition in the unlimited class.

SF 250 Mason awds qualify 1 and 2. Finish 1 and 3.
Baja 500. You can say a 2wd won the race but anyone that followed the race knows how it really went down. 2 Mason awds dominating the race by a long shot. (Bryce went out early because of a fuel delivery issue. Nothing to do with awd vs 2wd)
Baja 400 Mason awd qualify 1 and 2. Finish 1,2,5,7,11. Andy and Jones crash out.

They are a lot more reliable than you think and are only going to get more so. The guys racing in the class know that.

Robert Mason

RDC Crypto
He lives down Norco. Raced a golf cart in the 50th 1000. Has raced in several other classes as well, including TT.

So you are saying there is no back log? Anyone can order one tomorrow and when can they expect delivery?
I have no stake in the game. But respect him and what he knows. Hes never steered me wrong.
Is there a wait list, yes. Anyone who builds a competitive truck will have one. 5 years, not even close. To have a new truck finished, you are looking the middle of 2023 completion. Can no longer say he has never steered you wrong. :)

Robert Mason

RDC Crypto
Jcorsico, With your theory you should probably just run a TT Spec in TT. They have the same drivetrain as a 2wd TT with less power, so will be more reliable. If you are ok with just finishing, that is not a bad idea. If you want to win, not so much.

Goober

RDC Crypto
I will disagree on that. Do you know what actually took Bryce out at Vegas to Reno? A fitting broke and lost all oil to the front diff. They think it took a rock but who knows. Rock can take out a fitting for a system on a 2wd too. Look at the finish rate for Mason awds this year and win rates and get back to me. I dont consider DNF caused by a crash a reliability issue. If you think you are going to win many races in a 2wd these days with the top dogs racing awds, you are kidding yourself. We have several more top teams with trucks on order. Lets just take a look at the SCORE races this year since they obviously have the most competition in the unlimited class.

SF 250 Mason awds qualify 1 and 2. Finish 1 and 3.
Baja 500. You can say a 2wd won the race but anyone that followed the race knows how it really went down. 2 Mason awds dominating the race by a long shot. (Bryce went out early because of a fuel delivery issue. Nothing to do with awd vs 2wd)
Baja 400 Mason awd qualify 1 and 2. Finish 1,2,5,7,11. Andy and Jones crash out.

They are a lot more reliable than you think and are only going to get more so. The guys racing in the class know that.
Do you think that has to do with the driver or the vehicle?

jcorsico

RDC Crypto
I don’t want to get in a fight about this, as there is nothing to fight about. People are simply making different judgement calls as to what is better. There is no “right” answer, no matter how passionately people think their judgment is correct. Robert is not “correct”. Mike Smith and the Herbsts are not “correct”.

jcorsico

RDC Crypto
Do you know what actually took Bryce out at Vegas to Reno? A fitting broke and lost all oil to the front diff. They think it took a rock but who knows.
Robert - you make a reliable and very well built truck that is the choice of the top teams. But Bryce failed to finish because of the front diff. A 2WD truck couldn’t have that failure because it doesn’t have a front diff. I don’t know what else to say.