Who makes the best TT today?

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
I think the TT AWD systems are pretty different than the 4wd systems of Ultra4.
How?

The only big difference I see is most of the TT stuff is a one-way clutch for the front-drive unit.

Whereas, Ultra4 guys lock it in. Portals used in both for IFS applications.

ColeA

RDC Crypto
Website
www.andrews-motorsports.com
I think the TT AWD systems are pretty different than the 4wd systems of Ultra4.

There must be a reason everyone does not have AWD. Although I think the limiting factor has been engine power. It takes a lot of power to drive the AWD. It’s only recently that the engines have got to the power levels they are at now.

Is there a Gibbs engine Mason?

Mike
Jesse jones's. AKA steve menzies new truck. AKA Bryce's new prerunner

Advertising supports this site

Baja Bryan

RDC Crypto
My buddy was the ones that helped him in that instagram video Jax uploaded where they were shaving the drive shaft to make it fit at RM450ish. The "Mexican mechanics" video lol. They were pitting for our team #276 Iribe

He's from Calexico, his team is 3G Racing
Yes those guys were a great help to get the axel ground down and get it all cleaned while we waited for Rick Geiser to show up with a new cover.

Chris_Wilson

RDC Crypto
Do all of the newly designed 4wd TT’s use front portals? Who makes the ones being used in TT’s? Same maker as the Ultra 4 IFS guys use? Or are they custom in house parts?

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Do all of the newly designed 4wd TT’s use front portals? Who makes the ones being used in TT’s? Same maker as the Ultra 4 IFS guys use? Or are they custom in house parts?

Mason AWD's use a Mason-portal.
Menzie's Huseman AWD did not use any portals IIRC.
Robby's AWD is seemingly his own design of portals.
Brenthel's AWD uses 74Weld's "4-gear portal". 74Weld is a popular choice for Ultra 4 guys.
Jimco Dragon AWD ???? No uprights/portals shown. Looks to be using the Albins front diff.
Gesier AWD does not use any portals IIRC.

jcorsico

RDC Crypto
There must be a reason everyone does not have AWD.
Because Herbst built an AWD truck about 20 years ago. They campaigned it for several years, and it was very successful, winning a lot of races. But they didn't think the AWD was worth it, so they abandoned the idea and went back to 2WD.

Geiser built an AWD truck many years ago too (probably 5+). Like the Herbst truck, it did not set the world on fire.

AWD has been around for a long time in TT. It's not a new invention.

That said, the portal front hubs are new, which allow more wheel travel. That's a significant advantage over the non-portal designs, and one of the reasons why the Mason truck really caught on.

jcorsico

RDC Crypto
Brenthel's AWD uses 74Weld's "4-gear portal". 74Weld is a popular choice for Ultra 4 guys.
Jimco Dragon AWD ???? No uprights/portals shown. Looks to be using the Albins front diff.
The Ele Motorsports truck also uses the 74 Weld portals.

fishd00d

What A Joke
RDC Crypto
Website
www.fishgistics.com
Couple things.

1. I don’t think the Herbst AWD won more than 1 race and that might have been Laughlin. I don’t know this for sure but I’m pretty sure it only won once. Maybe someone who knows for sure can fill us in.

2. Jax will be in an AWD at some point I guarantee it.

3. Jesse Jones mason was the first one to get a Gibbs motor. There will be more than one next season in some of the Mason AWDs……stay tuned.

4. We don’t need a class split. TT rules say “unlimited” so that’s what it is. Simple as that.

TrailReady

ADVERTISER
RDC Crypto
Website
www.trbeadlocks.com
The Ele Motorsports truck also uses the 74 Weld portals.
New Racer AWD for God is Awesome, I believe. No Portals. Hoping to see it on course soon.

ELE Home brewed AWD on old Porter Mid-Engine Chassis is getting faster and more reliable. Pretty Cool

bajafox

Barely Accepted
RDC Crypto
Couple things.

1. I don’t think the Herbst AWD won more than 1 race and that might have been Laughlin. I don’t know this for sure but I’m pretty sure it only won once. Maybe someone who knows for sure can fill us in.
We were so used to seeing the #1 on the side of the Herbst TT that it's easy to assume they won lots of races

ProfessionalPitMan

RDC Crypto
Couple things.

2. Jax will be in an AWD at some point I guarantee it.

3. Jesse Jones mason was the first one to get a Gibbs motor. There will be more than one next season in some of the Mason AWDs……stay tuned.

4. We don’t need a class split. TT rules say “unlimited” so that’s what it is. Simple as that.
2) I agree. He is getting really fast, really quick. He will be in what it takes to compete.
4) Absolutely. If you are whining about budget of "unlimited" racing being the issue, you are in the wrong class.

offroadracer516

RDC Crypto
Website
www.race-dezert.com
This is almost exactly like Group B Rally in the 80s. 4wd came out and the 2wd cars were left in the dust. Yeah they could hang at some events and some stages but in reality they were made obsolete the moment the quattro made its debut. Now that the masons are clearly reliable its case closed. And won't open again till another builder has an AWD winning events. When are they going to put a Turbo on the Gibs motors?? That's what I wanna know :cool:

mrlentle

RDC keyboard warrior
RDC Crypto
We are gonna need a flow chart on former Jones's trucks and their destinations............
Found it
atl_wall_chart.jpg

stephenrjking

RDC Crypto
This is almost exactly like Group B Rally in the 80s. 4wd came out and the 2wd cars were left in the dust. Yeah they could hang at some events and some stages but in reality they were made obsolete the moment the quattro made its debut. Now that the masons are clearly reliable its case closed. And won't open again till another builder has an AWD winning events. When are they going to put a Turbo on the Gibs motors?? That's what I wanna know :cool:

If Baja were as dependent upon cornering performance as WRC, AWD would have been standard for 30 years. As it has been in short course racing. The reason the hassles AWD bring haven't been addressed earlier is that the performance gains aren't quite as dramatic relative to the challenges of endurance.