Who missed a pit because of the traffic @ EDR?

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
We did. It was IMPOSSIBLE to get past the EDR entrance to get up to 3 poles, Borrego, etc. I don’t recall ever seeing San Felipe so packed with people. Racers, chasers, and especially spectators. I felt like I was in the TJ border line.
Our pit plans usually have my squad floating all day and this race was no different. I’m usually in a hurry trying to keep up with the race truck but never to the point where I have to haul ass to the point it’s unsafe. If we are efficient we never miss our spots. But not this time.
If you had any duties south of town in the morning and then had to be anywhere north of town later in the day you were screwed because of the way they had the road closed. That was a shizshow.

Hopefully this is managed better going forward or we’re all gonna need more people to get the job done.

(We won our class anyway but we had a flawless day. Had there been an issue things could have been significantly different).

Last edited:

Rcamp99

Reaction
Did this happen to be around RM260? They were panicking calling for help there for about an hour because of spectator traffic on course.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
It was the highway exiting town going north beginning right about at the arches. The start finish was on the east side of the highway at EDR and the race crossed the highway right there coming in and going out. I was only there for the coming back part. Total gridlock. One side of the highway was closed for some reason and it was stop and go there but the peeps conducting traffic we’re not doing the best job.

Once you cleared that there was a giant back up at the military check point too.

never seen it like that. San Felipe was packed. The sand dunes were in full effect. Bars/restaurants were full. Huge lines at the gas stations. The town was almost over run with traffic. It was great to see all that commerce happening. I know the town needs it but damn. The highway situation needed to be managed better. The rest was manageable.

Last edited:

lil manny

Reaction
Did this happen to be around RM260? They were panicking calling for help there for about an hour because of spectator traffic on course.
I was at 260 it was a mess! I started another thread with a video of what it looked like and a close call.

rkracing

Reaction
I called it on the sf 250 rumor thread , hope they go back to regular san felipe start location for the next one instead of EDR. RM 260 was sketchy also with the course running down part of the access road.

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
We were trying to get back to our hotel after our pit. Sitting in that south bound line.

Started with people racing up the shoulder of the road, then jumping off in the dirt trying to get by. At one point, we were 3 wide on the road and 2 wide in the dirt.

Had a few ass hats trying to cut back in when they couldn't get past EDR. One almost took out a cop trying to cut me off. Cop moved the barrier farther out in the shoulder to protect himself and stop that "new" lane of traffic.

cjohnson

Reaction
What is interesting is I don't remember any bad traffic jams last year when the 250 started and finished at EDR. I wonder what was different this year? The amount of jackass radio traffic on the weatherman channel was out of control too. Maybe people going crazy from the Covid lock downs?

coryanderson

Reaction
What is interesting is I don't remember any bad traffic jams last year when the 250 started and finished at EDR. I wonder what was different this year? The amount of jackass radio traffic on the weatherman channel was out of control too. Maybe people going crazy from the Covid lock downs?
I didn't go to the race last year, but looking at the map, the course went super far north last year and this year most of the course looks accessible. Our plan as spectators was to watch the leaders come through at MM40 and then try to catch the leaders and limiteds around 160. Once we tried to get out of MM 40, one of our trucks got stuck because of so many teams trying to come into pit at MM40 for the limited classes and took us 45 minutes to get them unstuck and then we were dealing with traffic going through town and past the S/F entrance.

I think several things contributed to the mess this year:
1) simply the number of racers, and specifically, the cars/trucks with V8s in them made spectating much more interesting than usual
2) the course was compacted all around San Felipe and so everyone was driving through town and past S/F because it seemed you could easily move around and catch the race in multiple spots or pit in multiple spots, which turned out not to be the case with the traffic
3) lack of personnel who knew what they were doing, especially in parts that needed it (MM 260). I don't know who it was on weatherman that said it, but he mentioned how it's next to impossible to have someone at every single road crossing and it's not their responsibility to manage that and that somebody complaining should get out there with a white shirt and start directing traffic like it was their job was not a smart thing to say. If someone was recording that and someone ended up getting seriously hurt or died at 260 because a lack of traffic control would put SCORE in a very interesting place legally. I know it's Mexico, but damn, that was not a smart thing to say.

RYAN COHEE

Reaction
The local police did a terrible job with traffic at the road crossing to the start/finish . Next year Score better figure out a better plan before someone gets killed . Other than the sat afternoon traffic jam San Felipe local bars/ restaurant's did a great job! Anybody know the 411 on the bar Miramar ?

-thor-

Reaction
We were spectating close to CHK 2 and counting 7 chase vehicles for a Sportsman bike, do they really need to be all together instead of spreading around the course?

cjohnson

Reaction
I didn't go to the race last year, but looking at the map, the course went super far north last year and this year most of the course looks accessible. Our plan as spectators was to watch the leaders come through at MM40 and then try to catch the leaders and limiteds around 160. Once we tried to get out of MM 40, one of our trucks got stuck because of so many teams trying to come into pit at MM40 for the limited classes and took us 45 minutes to get them unstuck and then we were dealing with traffic going through town and past the S/F entrance.

1) simply the number of racers, and specifically, the cars/trucks with V8s in them made spectating much more interesting than usual
2) the course was compacted all around San Felipe and so everyone was driving through town and past S/F because it seemed you could easily move around and catch the race in multiple spots or pit in multiple spots, which turned out not to be the case with the traffic
3) lack of personnel who knew what they were doing, especially in parts that needed it (MM 260). I don't know who it was on weatherman that said it, but he mentioned how it's next to impossible to have someone at every single road crossing and it's not their responsibility to manage that and that somebody complaining should get out there with a white shirt and start directing traffic like it was their job was not a smart thing to say. If someone was recording that and someone ended up getting seriously hurt or died at 260 because a lack of traffic control would put SCORE in a very interesting place legally. I know it's Mexico, but damn, that was not a smart thing to say.
Thanks. I think number 2 is a pretty good possible explanation.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Maybe people going crazy from the Covid lock downs?
I spoke with only one spectator all day. He was with his family and came from Mexicali. He told me that they were tired of being cooped up at home and just needed to get away. Be outside. Do something fun. Just like all of us. Seems like he wasn’t the only guy from Mexicali doing so. Based on the traffic Saturday night from SF to the calexico border there was a ton of folks from that area down is SF.

We bailed Saturday night and and our expected 1:40 hour wait was closer to 3:40. That was a lonnnnng drive to the states.

Rcamp99

Reaction

That was weatherboy/ weatherman. Scott Steinberger. Not sure what he goes by since the passing of his father.

ace_photo

GET SOME
Reaction
We did. It was IMPOSSIBLE to get past the EDR entrance to get up to 3 poles, Borrego, etc. I don’t recall ever seeing San Felipe so packed with people. Racers, chasers, and especially spectators. I felt like I was in the TJ border line.
Our pit plans usually have my squad floating all day and this race was no different. I’m usually in a hurry trying to keep up with the race truck but never to the point where I have to haul ass to the point it’s unsafe. If we are efficient we never miss our spots. But not this time.
If you had any duties south of town in the morning and then had to be anywhere north of town later in the day you were screwed because of the way they had the road closed. That was a shizshow.

Hopefully this is managed better going forward or we’re all gonna need more people to get the job done.

(We won our class anyway but we had a flawless day. Had there been an issue things could have been significantly different).
Planned for it. Preran a route around. Went smoothly.

Rule #1 for Baja races: Leave early, plan to be late.

YMMV

Bro_Gill

Reaction
We were spectating close to CHK 2 and counting 7 chase vehicles for a Sportsman bike, do they really need to be all together instead of spreading around the course?
The 117X had the same program at MM40 and they thought they OWNED the entire desert.

MTPyle

Reaction
I spoke with only one spectator all day. He was with his family and came from Mexicali. He told me that they were tired of being cooped up at home and just needed to get away. Be outside. Do something fun. Just like all of us. Seems like he wasn’t the only guy from Mexicali doing so. Based on the traffic Saturday night from SF to the calexico border there was a ton of folks from that area down is SF.

We bailed Saturday night and and our expected 1:40 hour wait was closer to 3:40. That was a lonnnnng drive to the states.

we left Sunday afternoon the border wait was saying 240 minutes. Haha. But google maps took us into the Sentri lane and there was no way to turn around with my 45ft RV towing a trailer. My boys were behind us in a 32ft toy hauler. So we ended up going thru Sentri and they just laughed and did a quick search. Said the fine was $500 but it was clear we didn’t mean to go thru there. Haha so we got thru in 20 minutes. It was a really tight squeeze though. Haha.

we went to RM40 to watch the truck go by and make sure they were good. Connor told me they would go straight at the corner there but I really didn’t know what he was talking about. When we went to find a parking spot I realized we were going up course on the short cut he was telling me about. It all became clear. LOL. We hurried up and got out of there but it was crazy how fast we got on course without knowing it. Well it was not the course but a short cut. Right after we moved Cameron took the short cut. Haha

there was a few guys on the corner waving people toward the course and away from the short cut. When Connor got there he hesitated and then went the way the guys were telling him to go. He is too nice for Baja. Hehe.

then we got caught in the traffic trying to get to 157 where our pit was. Thanks to Dan, off-road junky, Pat Daily, and Honda for helping us out at that pit. Anyway we barely made it then realized the race truck broke down and we had plenty of time. Haha

It was a crazy morning with spectators and traffic. EDR was a chit show.

Mike

Honda48X

Reaction
Lol, I did the same thing and ended up in the sentri lane because of google. Ended up in secondary for 55 minuets.