Who missed a pit because of the traffic @ EDR?

mxben

Reaction
we left Sunday afternoon the border wait was saying 240 minutes. Haha. But google maps took us into the Sentri lane and there was no way to turn around with my 45ft RV towing a trailer. My boys were behind us in a 32ft toy hauler. So we ended up going thru Sentri and they just laughed and did a quick search. Said the fine was $500 but it was clear we didn’t mean to go thru there. Haha so we got thru in 20 minutes. It was a really tight squeeze though. Haha.

we went to RM40 to watch the truck go by and make sure they were good. Connor told me they would go straight at the corner there but I really didn’t know what he was talking about. When we went to find a parking spot I realized we were going up course on the short cut he was telling me about. It all became clear. LOL. We hurried up and got out of there but it was crazy how fast we got on course without knowing it. Well it was not the course but a short cut. Right after we moved Cameron took the short cut. Haha

there was a few guys on the corner waving people toward the course and away from the short cut. When Connor got there he hesitated and then went the way the guys were telling him to go. He is too nice for Baja. Hehe.

then we got caught in the traffic trying to get to 157 where our pit was. Thanks to Dan, off-road junky, Pat Daily, and Honda for helping us out at that pit. Anyway we barely made it then realized the race truck broke down and we had plenty of time. Haha

It was a crazy morning with spectators and traffic. EDR was a chit show.

Mike

Tell me more about that short cut off the course. Guess I/WE better get better.

MTPyle

Reaction
There were a ton of major short cuts. We pre run the heck out of the course and found many if not all of them. I was shocked at how many corners you could cut. I was wondering if people would take them as most of them went way beyond the 60ft rule of the course. Pretty much that rule is not enforced in Baja. LOL (oh man here i go again)

Connor said most of them were open but he didn't take all of his and like the one he got directed around them. The guys on the corner did not wave Cameron and Herbst ( the actual Terrible Herbst trucks, not just a Herbst built truck) trucks to the course. LOL they knew who they want to get the short cuts. It was inetersting to see who took that line at RM40.

We put 1400 miles on our Can Am and 350 miles on the Raptor pre running. But we also spent 5 days there doing it. Haha. We were as prepared as we could be except our fuel system. LOL. It takes being dialed in all aspects to win. But having good course notes and all the short cuts really help. I bet our race line was at least 10 miles shorter than the main course. And all the top guys took those lines.

Here is the cut at RM40. Its not huge but its straight and you can carry a lot more speed. Connor screwed up on this short cut and had to further around the corner. Looking at the notes I see why he missed it.

Mike

IMG_4D549F1262C7-1.jpeg

jon coleman

Reaction
thats parts of the race course in BaJa, x factor, some drivers freek out, others know it simply is, cant change it, thats the really good racers down there, attitude, ' here for the adventure, not the stress'

mxben

Reaction
There were a ton of major short cuts. We pre run the heck out of the course and found many if not all of them. I was shocked at how many corners you could cut. I was wondering if people would take them as most of them went way beyond the 60ft rule of the course. Pretty much that rule is not enforced in Baja. LOL (oh man here i go again)

Connor said most of them were open but he didn't take all of his and like the one he got directed around them. The guys on the corner did not wave Cameron and Herbst ( the actual Terrible Herbst trucks, not just a Herbst built truck) trucks to the course. LOL they knew who they want to get the short cuts. It was inetersting to see who took that line at RM40.

We put 1400 miles on our Can Am and 350 miles on the Raptor pre running. But we also spent 5 days there doing it. Haha. We were as prepared as we could be except our fuel system. LOL. It takes being dialed in all aspects to win. But having good course notes and all the short cuts really help. I bet our race line was at least 10 miles shorter than the main course. And all the top guys took those lines.

Here is the cut at RM40. Its not huge but its straight and you can carry a lot more speed. Connor screwed up on this short cut and had to further around the corner. Looking at the notes I see why he missed it.

Mike

View attachment 225335

We will keep the 60' rule in mind for the next one.

We needed to pre run better. I.

MTPyle

Reaction
I don’t think I would worry about the 60ft rule. It’s clearly just a rule that does not matter. I watched 7 trucks take that short cut and not one got a penalty for it. I think the 60ft rule is more for liability and insurance. I don't think Score actually cares about it. Just another rule that you have to figure out if it's real when you are new to a series. The seasoned teams already know this.

Mike

Last edited:

Honda48X

Reaction

Mike

View attachment 225335
You put a ton of miles in pre-running and Conner was on the move. Had he stayed right behind the person that started in front of him, you would have had a top five. The pre-running was done and you and Conner knew the course really well. It pays to pre-run and have the time (lots of days) to do it. Had your truck stayed together I really think you would have had a top five for sure.

I had the privilege to pre-run with Conner and we made some good notes and tried different lines to insure they were beneficial. He and you had that course dialed in. I only wish the fuel pump would have held up. It would have been interesting to see where you landed at the end.

Mike, I hope you felt safe down in BAJA and enjoyed the time. I always tell people if you are looking for trouble you will find it and if you are smart you will not have any issues.

Scott

C.J. Hutchins

Reaction
It was the highway exiting town going north beginning right about at the arches. The start finish was on the east side of the highway at EDR and the race crossed the highway right there coming in and going out. I was only there for the coming back part. Total gridlock. One side of the highway was closed for some reason and it was stop and go there but the peeps conducting traffic we’re not doing the best job.

Once you cleared that there was a giant back up at the military check point too.

never seen it like that. San Felipe was packed. The sand dunes were in full effect. Bars/restaurants were full. Huge lines at the gas stations. The town was almost over run with traffic. It was great to see all that commerce happening. I know the town needs it but damn. The highway situation needed to be managed better. The rest was manageable.
gotta learn the back roads!

C.J. Hutchins

Reaction

Mike

View attachment 225335
its mexico Mike, you race VCP to VCP they dont care how you get there.

MTPyle

Reaction
CJ

yes we understood the VCP and we found just about every short cut. Even a huge one that Score said at the last minute that could not be taken. Pre running was a blast and made the trip worth it even with our DNF

there is a Score rule about staying 60ft from the course. I think it’s more of a Score liability rule than a competitive rule.

Mike

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
gotta learn the back roads!
I assure you my sidekick and I know a plethora of backroads. But in this case we were trapped. By the time we realized how screwed things were it was too late. We could have hopped some curbs and gotten creative I suppose however, there was a gigantic Factory Honda logo on the side of the truck we were in. At our pit meetings there is always the part where we are all reminded that we are part of a team and represent something bigger than ourselves. We are encouraged to not bring shame on the family.

Pat, can we have our plain white innocuous raptor back please? So we can do sketchy stuff and not be recognized? (Asking for a friend)

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
I assure you my sidekick and I know a plethora of backroads. But in this case we were trapped. By the time we realized how screwed things were it was too late. We could have hopped some curbs and gotten creative I suppose however, there was a gigantic Factory Honda logo on the side of the truck we were in. At our pit meetings there is always the part where we are all reminded that we are part of a team and represent something bigger than ourselves. We are encouraged to not bring shame on the family.

Pat, can we have our plain white innocuous raptor back please? So we can do sketchy stuff and not be recognized? (Asking for a friend)

This is why I stopped putting team stickers and race numbers on my truck years ago. I never go to races with the intention of doing something stupid, but there are instances where you have to make a decision that goes against your better judgement to get from point a to point b.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
This is why I stopped putting team stickers and race numbers on my truck years ago. I never go to races with the intention of doing something stupid, but there are instances where you have to make a decision that goes against your better judgement to get from point a to point b.

Step up your game! wear other teams shirts and put their race numbers on your truck.

(Kidding)

AZ7000'

Reaction
I'll bet you can tell what helo was following the 22!

Pistol used to say if you are in the red chase truck you are with Herbst, the white one was whoever you wanted!

CodyS

DA Un`
Reaction

Mike

View attachment 225335
First rule of prerunning is not talking about prerunning/lines.

Honda48X

Reaction
First rule of prerunning is not talking about prerunning/lines.
Come on Cody. Your right the first rule is don't show prerunning. LOL. Check this video out from the DA. It was sent several days before the 2020 1000.