Who misses the ol days racing desert??

Fire1998

Reaction
Had recent elbow surgery so have had lots of time to watch old school desert racing from 80's and 90's. There were several classes racing for overall. Nissan, Ford, Chevy, Dodge and more going for wins. Watched one video where Swifts class 6 almost won and overall. Not just trophy truck as you see today. It was awesome to see the advancement in the trucks!! From robbys first trophy truck to the other up and coming truck designs. Loved the old class 8 trucks like the rough riders competing for wins against trophy trucks!! Some of the best looking trucks were the 8 trucks of Gordon and McCacheran. We will never see the chance of another class other than trophy truck get a win. We will never see the creativeness or design differences in trucks again. All the trucks now are Cookie cutter truck designed closely together. What is there to look forward to in designs and advancements other than 4wd kn the next 10 years??? Kinda boring when there is a max of 5-10 guys that can honestly get a win nowadays. Just reminiscing about the good old days of racing!!

Steve Marolda

Reaction
I agree it was way more fun and interesting back-in-the-day. But it's the same in all forms of motorsports. As the years go by everything becomes homogenized to point where everything looks and runs the same. There's no place for individuality anymore. I like the saying... Progress is great but it's gone on for too long.

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
As someone that raced in the era it's still the same today as their are only 5-10 guys that have a realistic chance to win races today. The TT's have made major improvements with tires, shocks, design, and drivetrain parts which have allow them to leap ahead of all other classes. One huge difference today is the access to all these quality parts that in the 80's and 90's didn't exist unless you were stupid rich or you were backed but a factory. Heck in the mid 80's my class 10 car with a 90hp VW engine could complete for top 5 overall's at any race but today it couldn't win the sportsman class. I do miss the skill of having to take care of the car or truck to assure a finish but today anybody can get these vehicles to the finish because that are so well built.

Zac Reish

Reaction
Hey, I can see what you're saying about the past. It would be cool and fun to go back in time and reflect/enjoy what was. But It could be worse. Who cares about who's going for overalls. All that matters is we're able to still do this and to push ourselves and passion for the sport in order to be successful. Thats what matters. Unless you're just spectating. And even then who cares what or who it is going by you at 100 plus mph in 3' bumps. That is exciting/spectacular and that is what matters to most. Not the variety of classes competing for overalls. Just my 2. Learn to appreciate what you have and can do not what was and isn't.

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
I agree it was way more fun and interesting back-in-the-day. But it's the same in all forms of motorsports. As the years go by everything becomes homogenized to point where everything looks and runs the same. There's no place for individuality anymore. I like the saying... Progress is great but it's gone on for too long.
I agree, the cars were way more diverse back in the day. There are benefits to homogenization (safety, standardized parts, cheaper parts, etc.), but it takes away a lot of character.

sb4pro

Reaction
Biggest thing I miss is the factory involvement . Ford Rough Riders , Chevy Thunder , PPI/Toyota , Nissan , Dodge . Those were some awesome machines back then .

J Prich

Reaction
I guess I'm a perpetual glass half full guy in my old age. I have a lot of sentimental memories from my early exposure to desert racing as a kid in the early 1980s. Some of my fondest childhood memories came from those experiences. And things these days are certainly different, but I don't see it in negative terms really.

As an adult who is now a participant, in spite of the changes and evolution of the sport my family, friends, etc still enjoy the experience the same way I did as a kid in the 80s. So even though its certainly not the same and I have a lot of attachment to the old days, it doesn't come at the expense of how I feel about "now".

Bricoop

Reaction
Biggest thing I miss is the factory involvement . Ford Rough Riders , Chevy Thunder , PPI/Toyota , Nissan , Dodge . Those were some awesome machines back then .
The factory teams will come back when racing is televised again, the racing can't be televised without sponsors, sponsors won't pay until viewership can be proven. Chicken or the egg kinda deal. I think Fish is onto something.

racetrash

Reaction
Also remember sitting out at a far pit with no radio comms, just go back to main on sunday morning...the good old days!

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Racing is racing. What I see as the biggest difference isn't so much about Trophy Trucks or older was better, but the cost to get into racing is much higher today from an entry level standpoint, and it isn't just inflation.

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
Racing is racing. What I see as the biggest difference isn't so much about Trophy Trucks or older was better, but the cost to get into racing is much higher today from an entry level standpoint, and it isn't just inflation.
I agree with you as that's a fact. Built my Raceco in 1983 for about 33K and at the 1985 Mint 400 won 16K. Today you build a truck for 500K and race for 5K. Doesn't make much sense to me but seems like many of us aren't too bright so put me at the head of that list. We are lucky that we have some outstanding sponsors or it would be worse.

NIKAL

Reaction
What I loved about racing back in the late 70’s, 80’s and 90’s was that you raced the course more then competitors. It was survival. The old saying that you must first finish, before you can finish first was real. Finishing a Baja 1000 or even a 500 was a feat to be proud of. Beating your competitor by 30 minuets was a close exciting race. Now days just finishing is no big deal, and no one seems to care about anything but the overall win.

I remember being at races and helping teams we did not even know late into the night. It was all about pushing a racer to just finish.

The last time I got excited about a race was 5-6 years ago maybe? Weatherman was keeping tabs on a kid in a UTV or class 11? I think it was Rick Johnson in a stock full that was limping it in and following the kid as we all listened and cheered them on to finish the Baja 1000. That’s what Racing is to me.

Let’s make it challenging & exciting again. Figure out how many hours it will take a TT & class 1 to finish a race. Then give them an extra 3-5 hours past that time limit to finish or be DNF. Close their check points at specific times based on their time limit, just like what a class 11 might deal with.

This year’s 500 there was a 22 hour time limit for all classes. 10 TT’s finished in 11 hours. Why do they need 20 hours? Make a time limit part of the challenge again for these unlimited classes.

ThatSpaceMexican

Reaction
Memories always carry some weight to them. seeing the old PPI 010 rip its way through the matomi will be forever, can we not have that same emotion seeing one of the RPM vehicles going through the same thing 30 years later? Is one time period more important or precious than another? even back in the day the overall win was limited to the best of the best. The overall position is just for the legends to battle it out. Back then it was names like Stewart, Roesseler, Smith, and Evans. Now its just a different set of names, who where clawing their way up back then too. So let the top dogs duke it out, they have their struggles. Desert racing is about the challenge for personal glory. No TV, no adoring crowds, just that bit of personal victory. We're the punk rockers of the racing world. aren't we?

Wendell #527

Reaction
Old school type racing is still out there, just not with SCORE or BITD. Courses have changed. Many are groomed to the point of being a track, not a course. TTs are of course going to win all of those. Go to a MORE race and you see class 10 cars winning a lot. Granted, all the big $ teams aren’t there, but you see a bit more “old school” type racing at a MORE event. Or some of the other small orgs. Record and Code are awesome and very old school. There are home built rigs of all different sorts in almost every class. It’s still out there.

Last edited:

green787

Reaction
Not to mention actual race starts.... I think they called it a "land rush" start....

Lifeflight

Reaction
Missing the feel of (Old School) racing? pick a generation, say 1980 and build a car, buggy or truck to those specs, rules, available parts and race NORRA. Don't pretend to build a 1979 Funco or Hi-Jumper and put oversized 2.5" bypass shocks or coil overs and say you went old school. If you want to feel the rush of chasing check point closing times at a SCORE race, build a swing axle class 9 or IRS class 11. These two classes represent Iron men of the sport in the modern era.