Who preps your race car?

Who does the prep on your race car?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fourstroker

Reaction
Just as it says. Not your prerunner or your friends race car. Who preps YOUR car? The question came up in the Class 7/6/7200 prep cost thread. Does anybody still prep their own race cars?

If you prep your own stuff but still have to send out high tech things like motors and trans that's OK. I think that the desparity in the prep costs is clearly related to who does the prep on each of these cars.

Fourstroker

Reaction
By the way we do option 2. My brother and I (co-owners) plus our co-drivers do 98% of the prep. The only things we send out are motors and trans.

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Reaction
Yep, my co-owner/partner and I do all our prep except the motor and trans. And thats too expensive!!!!

randy s

Reaction
i have a small hand in prepping our truck but most of our prep is done by our other drivers bill kellison and dave [slappy] folstad and friends from bill's mobile auto repair in el cajon, ca. they do a great job and are responsible for our recent success. thanks boys.

johnboy

Reaction
I do all the post race cleaning and stripping of the body and panels, etc. All the real work is performed by Sean at Dunn Tech Motorsports in Redlands, CA. Shocks, rearends, trans, chassis inspection, etc. I would like to do more but don't have the facilities and equipment to do so, so its to the shop for mine, it adds to the cost but its always ready to go on time and i'm not up half the night trying to everything done in time.

Ryan_P

Reaction
Myself and one other guy. More hands = more problems, so I like to keep the prep to the minimal people. Motor and trans get sent out, as well as front end parts to be magged(read Lothringer).

I think people are "throw away happy" anyways, meaning they replace parts excessively. There are certain parts that we replace every race, like front shock bolts since they aren't double sheared, but most parts last longer than people give them credit for.

Another thing that urks me is the excessive use of loctite/threadlocker. Does anyone use a torque-wrench these days?

Fourstroker

Reaction
Myself and one other guy. More hands = more problems, so I like to keep the prep to the minimal people. Motor and trans get sent out, as well as front end parts to be magged(read Lothringer).

I think people are "throw away happy" anyways, meaning they replace parts excessively. There are certain parts that we replace every race, like front shock bolts since they aren't double sheared, but most parts last longer than people give them credit for.

Another thing that urks me is the excessive use of loctite/threadlocker. Does anyone use a torque-wrench these days?
I disagree on the more hands deal to a point. The 4 of us (me, my brother and 2 co-drivers) can take that car apart, clean parts, prep and have it back together in no time. Also that means extra eyes looking at stuff that might get missed. Being on the budget we are we definitely don't "throw away" parts. If its worn or on its way it gets replaced. If it is still good to go it gets prepped and installed. There is not much that we replace EVERY race except engine oil and trans fluid.

Ryan_P

Reaction
I disagree on the more hands deal to a point. The 4 of us (me, my brother and 2 co-drivers) can take that car apart, clean parts, prep and have it back together in no time. Also that means extra eyes looking at stuff that might get missed. Being on the budget we are we definitely don't "throw away" parts. If its worn or on its way it gets replaced. If it is still good to go it gets prepped and installed. There is not much that we replace EVERY race except engine oil and trans fluid.
Well, I'm very particular when it comes to prep, but I get your drift. The way we prepped a previous car was unacceptable to me, bolts were missing, parts everywhere, you get the picture. We label tuberware containers for every corner of the car, motor, trans, floor pan, etc. so everything is where it needs to be. Between two of us, we prepped my car in 3 Saturday's. Having access to a parts washer cuts down on time too, screw cleaning cv's and bearings, ha.

Only thing I replace every race are front shock bolts (single shear), lock nuts on critical points, and cv boots.

baja stu

Reaction
You guys have help? I do everything except for the trans.

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
For us it's a consistent crew of 8. Sometimes more, sometimes less. We work every tuesday and depending on the load thursdays as well. They get paid in food, beer and alternating co-driver spot. Everyone gets a ride in one race. We do everything our selves except motor, trans, mag, and torque converter.

Fourstroker

Reaction
For us it's a consistent crew of 8. Sometimes more, sometimes less. We work every tuesday and depending on the load thursdays as well. They get paid in food, beer and alternating co-driver spot. Everyone gets a ride in one race. We do everything our selves except motor, trans, mag, and torque converter.
I like it Travis. We don't have a set schedule because our race schedule varies. We do alot of saturdays though. Nights during the week are not that productive. Our 2 co-dogs are always there so guess what....they are the co-dogs.

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
Thanks. I actually like the week nights. We work from 5 'till 11 or 12 and it still leaves the weekend open for family stuff.

Thats the thing too. You find out what works for your team and stick with it. Its hard to get on a schedule with one night here one night there and some weekends.

Shoyrtt

Reaction
I do all the post race cleaning and stripping of the body and panels, etc. All the real work is performed by Sean at Dunn Tech Motorsports in Redlands, CA. Shocks, rearends, trans, chassis inspection, etc. I would like to do more but don't have the facilities and equipment to do so, so its to the shop for mine, it adds to the cost but its always ready to go on time and i'm not up half the night trying to everything done in time.
X2! Sean does a great job.:)

retroblazer

Reaction
I see you can't vote for all of the above. I do whatever it takes to get the truck done and in the past three years I have used each option. Glen Straightiff- Complete Fabrication and Jon Probst of Probst racing have all collected some of my cash. My crew, mostly from the Midwest, has provided the bulk of the work over the years. When the truck was in the Midwest, I did almost all of the work solo. Hats off to anybody that has helped me over the years.

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
i used to prep my own truck 100% when i raced. i trusted NOBODY else to touch it. not my closest friends, not my dad.....all of whom are very mechanically inclined.......im just anal and want to know that nothing was overlooked or missed and if it was it was because it was my fault. i would rather blame myself for sheit happening than others.....and this is pretty much been true for the other cars i used to prep too....mark hutchins, brendan gaughan, will higman, and travis bozzano whos 7200 i currently prep.

dezertchick

Reaction
When we had a 12 car, my husband and I did everything (except transmission & magging) ourselves.
I can hold my own on pulling out a VW motor. He did all the rebuilding on the motor himself.
Along with shocks, we maybe had help once or twice but it was
just the two of us. A lot of work involved. Owing a machine shop was a godsend.

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
We do everything BUT the Motor, Trans and Shocks :)

Albanez

Reaction
Cowan fabrication and mechanical el centro ca 6194549780 does my class 5.

Fourstroker

Reaction
i used to prep my own truck 100% when i raced. i trusted NOBODY else to touch it. not my closest friends, not my dad.....all of whom are very mechanically inclined.......im just anal and want to know that nothing was overlooked or missed and if it was it was because it was my fault. i would rather blame myself for sheit happening than others.....and this is pretty much been true for the other cars i used to prep too....mark hutchins, brendan gaughan, will higman, and travis bozzano whos 7200 i currently prep.
I can understand wanting to be in control. All 4 of us have a stake in the car finishing and running well so trust is not an issue. Ultimately it is up to my bro and I to make decisions sometimes even though both guys know usually know where we stand.

We do everything BUT the Motor, Trans and Shocks :)
I know you CAN do shocks as well Nick but choose not to.

BUDMAN975

Reaction
I tear down, prep and set up my car by myself, I could not drive as hard if I didnt do the prep myself. If I need an extra hand to pull out an engine I always have someone close (wife, father) when it comes to the engine I take it to Barn Burner racing engines and Transaxle engineering handles my swinger and my crack checking. When it comes to the races I can always count on my team to take care of business, all of them are awesome and I would'nt be able to contend without them.